Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hacking Peekapoo(s)

nanomori
September 26th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Hi, I was wondering about our new Peekapoo puppy Twinkie, about 20 weeks old. We've been keeping her in the laundry room at night, for potty training, give her water, food, potty pads. We've had her about 6 weeks & she is beginning to hack, like a cat with a hairball for several minutes when we let her out. She seems fine after several minutes, but occasionally throughout the day she goes into short dry hack sessions lasting 30 seconds to a minute. Recently we noticed our 3 year old male Peekapoo- Hoho making the same humfing sound but not as long as Twinkie but similar. The Vet did not find anything wrong with Twinkie, just gave her a routine vacinnation. My husband thinks it's the laundry room dust or detergent odors affecting her, but Ho-Ho does it on occasion & he stays outdoors. Otherwise both dog's play & have lots of energy. Is this normal for Peek-apoo's (Pekinese/Poodle) Breed or your thoughts please.
Thank you, Nan

ancientgirl
September 26th, 2007, 11:27 AM
If the vet has examined him and can't find anything wrong, maybe your puppy is allergic to something.

Perhaps having a look at what might cause the coughing and just experimenting different things to see if there is something that might not agree with him.

mummummum
September 26th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I'm not sure about whether your mutt's two breeds are predisposed to coughing but did your Vet think it might be Bordetella ?

Purpledomino
September 27th, 2007, 09:29 AM
It could be reverse-sneezing. Maybe the dust in the laundry room is affecting her. Rule out more serious issues with your vet though...did you ask about it when he examined your pup? My Minpin does this reverse-sneezing thing pretty regularly a certain time in spring, and rarely at other times. It passes without ill effect. If this is what it is (make sure), you may need to move your girl to a different area, or the vet may advise Benadryl. But check with the vet first. Any pics?? :D