Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rescuing Kittens from Feral futures

ellendar
September 26th, 2007, 01:31 AM
I believe whenever we are afforded the opportunity to rescue kittens away from their feral ancestry that we should do our best on their behalf, we "rescued this litter when the Mom cat birthed in our basement and the curious kittens walked out of the back room on their own, I crated them and have been looking after them ever since. This Mom cat accompanied our neutered male Raggdoll cat home last winter during blizzard conditions and has been hanging around ever since and now we have her kittens. I am not herartless she hangs on the fringes of our lives, she has shelter in our garage, basement and porch, she is welcome anywhere in the house, but I could not let her continue to pass worms and mites to the kittens so they had an early weaning thanks to canned Friskies cat food, she is allowed to polish off whatever te kittens don't finish but she is totally feral a scaredy cat. She runs if you look at her the wrong way.
I think she descends from another feral cat we once captured likely a litter we didn't catch, Patches was a kitten nine years ago when my nephew Joey was born, I am not sure how many litters she had previously but once she deposited nine kittens in my pantry so I got her into a crate when they were four weeks old and she and the kittens were boarded at the vets for several weeks until they were weaned then she was spayed and the vet sold the kittens out of a big cage she set up in her lobby.
The wild Mother looks almost like a younger version of that other much older cat so I am sure it is one of hers. I had not seen the original "Patches for a long time but saw her topnight on the porch hissing at one of those kittens
I maintain a feral cat feeding station and shelter cabinets on my porch as well as in the garage for ferals, nowe that older cat is over nine years old and still around, this is a testament to the spay and immunize and release
I don't think she would have lived this long if I had not had her spayed even though it cost an arm and a leg.
But these kittens get altered next month, I will put it on my Visa
I put at least three twenty pound bags of Nutra diet cat food dry in a recycling bin on the front porch twice a month for strays and feral cats plus I have a recipe of a can of cat food with diced cooked carrots, olive oil, brewers yeast scrambled eggs and other yummies that I put out regularly for them especially in the winter, the ferals do get our sour milk it doesn't hurt them, I keep a litter box on the porch. Old sofa cushions make terrific beds inside crates or taped up boxes for cats to shelter in, once I fixed up such a box in the winter during a snow and five minutes later a feral Mom had jumped in and birthed kittens and she wasn't that wild more of a scared stray actually.
I cannot bring them all in my house to live with us so I just do what I can and give them their own apartments and condo shelters and i always give them food and talk to them they act like they know me too. I once had a totally wild mom cat come to me when she was having difficulty birthing and had dead kittens half in and half out of her she carried to my porch the two kittens which had birthed alive and I had to have her euthenized unfortunately the kittens had seizures and the vet euthenizxed them too at least she did not suffer so much and gave me that trust toward the end.
I would have kept her kittens and she knew that. I held her paw as she closed her eyes the last time and vowed always to help ferals when I can. I remain committed.

Love4himies
September 26th, 2007, 07:53 AM
I am always surprised that vets don't give discounts to those who are trying to help feral cats. Bless you for trying to help them and giving their kittens a better life than their parents had.

Jim Hall
September 26th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Bless you for helping so many of god's creatures

I am always awe struck at the kindness and compassion of the people on this board.

Longblades
September 26th, 2007, 09:08 AM
My Vet charges half price on spay and neuter for strays/ferals that regular customers intend to keep.

Love4himies
September 26th, 2007, 11:50 AM
My Vet charges half price on spay and neuter for strays/ferals that regular customers intend to keep.

Now that is a good vet!

CyberKitten
September 26th, 2007, 12:48 PM
My vet never charges individuals for ferals! The SPCA or rescue groups have a discount.

kashtin's kin
September 26th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Wow, cyberkitten, am I jealous (not in a nasty way;)!! I have yet to hear of a vet in southern Ontario who will waive the fee for ferals; maybe I can mention this [Maritime vet generosity] to the vets I know. Also, could you send some Maritime vets out here to get the word out?? :rolleyes: