Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat has slightly runny eye

BigscoobNTed
September 25th, 2007, 09:04 PM
My husband and I adopted from a shelter an 8 month old kitty, Teddy, a week ago yesterday and we also have a 5-6 year old maine coon Scooby.

The foster parent had told us Teddy's eye had been more runny than usual with slight cloudiness. She made a vet appt for 2 days later but before then the eye had cleared up - vet advised no need to bring in since it was likely a 'basic irritation' than an infection. Teddy had a couple eye buggers the first couple days but no longer. I took Teddy to the Vet on Saturday just for an overall check-up to make sure everything was fine by our own vet and the vet said everything looked good.

Well tonight my husband told me that scooby has had some 'weeping' in his right eye yesterday and today and has cleaned a couple eye buggers. When I look at his eye everything looks normal color wise however it does seem like occasionally it weighs heavy a little more than the other like it's half open when the other is fully open. We've never had this experience with scooby that I'm thinking I'll take him to the vet - however my question for you all is do I do this with a running sprint or should I wait a day or two to see if it goes away? Could this be something he got from Teddy? Or am I being overly paranoid because we've brought the new kitty into the house??

Love this board! Thanks for all your insights!

badger
September 26th, 2007, 02:10 AM
It sounds to me like Teddy might have a little virus, which would come and go, or occasionally get worse, and then you would need antibiotics by mouth. He could easily have picked it up from the shelter; it can also be transmitted from the mother.
I wouldn't worry too much. Get the vet to give you some antibiotic eye cream you can use as needed. If his eye really blows up, then you're probably looking at antibiotics by mouth.
One of my cats, an ex-stray, has an ocular virus; he has a flare-up about once a year, requiring medication. Otherwise he is perfectly healthy.
It is contagious, so wash your hands well if you touch the area, to avoid transferring it to the other cat. So far, none of my other cats have caught it.

Love4himies
September 26th, 2007, 07:46 AM
I could be a bacterial or viral infection and you would need to see a vet to get some antibiotic gel if it is bacterial. A vet told me that a slight irritation in the eye would create a watery discharge, but an infection would create a pussy (greenish/yellow) type discharge.

If it is an irritation you can get Polysporin Eye and Ear drops from the pharmacutical counter at your local drug store, no prescription needed. It will help prevent infections and help clean the eye.

krdahmer
September 26th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I also have one cat with a partially blocked duct that causes it to weep, a clear brownish liquid and frequently get the crusties. We are getting it cleared when we have his teeth cleaned to avoid two seperate anestesias. If it is only the one eye that could be the problem.

BigscoobNTed
September 26th, 2007, 12:28 PM
I'm taking him in at 2:30 to see the vet so we'll see what it is...

BigscoobNTed
September 27th, 2007, 02:53 PM
So thankfully scoob just has a mild cause of conjunctivitis and has to get an eye drop twice a day for a week.

The bad news is I took in a fecal sample (unknown belonging to Teddy or Scooby) and the vet just called that giardia was found and both cats need to take drugs for that to clear it up. Seems like bringing Teddy into our house has caused a lot of problems - but we still love him.