Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Has anybody here ever used a pet stroller?

ancientgirl
September 25th, 2007, 06:06 PM
I've been contemplating buying one. I'd like to start doing some walking in the evenings, when I get home from work, but I'd like to take the Dynamic Duo with me, just to give them some interesting scenery to look at.

Is this a good idea?

Of course my friends think I'm nuts for even thinking about it. One told me to just put a leash on them and walk them that way, but I'd be afraid of some loose dog going for them.

Winston
September 25th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Ancientgirl! Good luck to you if your beautiful ones would stay in a stroller....Mine are indoor cats and if I carry them outside they are petrified....Do you think they would sit still in a stroller? I would be afraid I would loose em...

Cindy

coppperbelle
September 25th, 2007, 07:31 PM
I remember seeing one at Petsmart and the part the dog/cat sit in is like a pet carrier. I think it is zippered. They are quite pricey. Could you borrow one and try it out?

Frenchy
September 25th, 2007, 07:48 PM

I want to but can't find one for the 2 goldens and 1 great dane :frustrated:

:laughing:

ancientgirl
September 25th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Ancientgirl! Good luck to you if your beautiful ones would stay in a stroller....Mine are indoor cats and if I carry them outside they are petrified....Do you think they would sit still in a stroller? I would be afraid I would loose em...

Cindy

They do well when I have them in their carriers, taking them to the vet. I figured a stroller would at least give them some scenery. But I'm also scared that they might be flimsy or just not sturdy enough for two cats. I guess that's why I wanted to know if anybody with cats had ever used them.

ancientgirl
September 25th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I remember seeing one at Petsmart and the part the dog/cat sit in is like a pet carrier. I think it is zippered. They are quite pricey. Could you borrow one and try it out?

They are very pricey. I briefly thought about just putting them in a large carrier and borrowing a regular stroller, but I don't know anyone who still has one.

I guess I just feel like they might want to explore the outdoors. I don't know, sometimes I feel bad keeping them cooped up in an apartment all the time, but I'd never allow them outdoors. I wish I had a balcony. I'd screen it and let them go out there now and then.

ancientgirl
September 25th, 2007, 08:07 PM

I want to but can't find one for the 2 goldens and 1 great dane :frustrated:

:laughing:

You don't need a stroller, you need a mini van! :laughing:

CyberKitten
September 25th, 2007, 09:01 PM
A mini van, rofl!! :D That's cute!!

I have a stroller - a pink one that all my cats like tho they need warm weather.It is especially great for the Sphynx kitties since sans fur, they require blankets when it is colder than say, 20C. At 1st , I was an oddity in the neighbourhood but there is a woman nearby who uses a similar outfit (one she made herself) to carry her small daschund who has back probs while her other doggie walks.

Frenchy
September 25th, 2007, 09:08 PM
You don't need a stroller, you need a mini van! :laughing:

I have a station wagon ;)

Frenchy
September 25th, 2007, 09:10 PM
borrowing a regular stroller, but I don't know anyone who still has one.

Or buy a used one. Garage sales always have those.

Lukka'sma
September 25th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Noid and Niya have one.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/DSC03156.jpg

joeysmama
September 25th, 2007, 09:57 PM
LOL Frenchy. They make them for Goldens and Great Danes. They call them wheelbarrows. :laughing:

rainbow
September 26th, 2007, 01:11 AM
They are very pricey. I briefly thought about just putting them in a large carrier and borrowing a regular stroller, but I don't know anyone who still has one.

Or buy a used one. Garage sales always have those.

I would look for a used baby stroller (garage sales, newspaper, ebay, kiilji, cheapcycle.com, freeycle.com, etc.) and get a rain/sun cover for it or use your pet carrier. The cheapest pet stroller I could find is....

http://www.mightypets.com/product.asp?3=1983

Love4himies
September 26th, 2007, 06:33 AM
I think a pet stoller is an excellent idea if they are not scared outside. Some cats prefer to be indoors only, but some love to have the stimulation of different scenery. Would be nice if you could try out a stroller before buying. Unless you can return the stroller and get your money back if your kitties didn't like being walked.

A stoller, unlike leashed walking, gives the cats some security (they feel hidden) to lessen the stress of outside. Plus you can walk at your pace, not the cats' which could be about .5 miles per hour!:laughing:.

ancientgirl
September 26th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Noid and Niya have one.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/DSC03156.jpg

Oh, that's a nice one! I'd love to get them something roomy, and I've seen one that has like a little hide away part.

ancientgirl
September 26th, 2007, 08:39 AM
I think a pet stoller is an excellent idea if they are not scared outside. Some cats prefer to be indoors only, but some love to have the stimulation of different scenery. Would be nice if you could try out a stroller before buying. Unless you can return the stroller and get your money back if your kitties didn't like being walked.

I'm going to Petsmart this weekend, so I'll ask if I can return it if they don't like it.

Puss'FavPerson
September 26th, 2007, 09:52 AM
This was a top of the line baby stroller, reclined, with the full screen enclosure.

The cat inside was a beautiful Himalayan who looked pretty comfy. She had a dog pal walking alongside her, and a couple of humans. The humans said the stroller was handed down from a grandbaby who outgrew it.

ancientgirl
September 26th, 2007, 10:00 AM
That's a thought. I didn't know the baby strollers had those kind of enclosures.

Love4himies
September 26th, 2007, 10:07 AM
You have given me a good idea, ancientgirl, now I want to get one for my cats.

Love4himies
September 26th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Can you imagine if a lot of people had these for their cats, the SPCA/Humane Societies could have walk a thons for cats, not just for dogs lol.

ancientgirl
September 26th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Let me tell you, I think it would be a great idea. I mean, I love spending time with my little sweeties, but if I'm out walking getting exercise, I'm not having any time with them. My friends are already saying I'm getting into crazy cat lady territory, but I'm getting to where I'm about to tell them to deal with it and stop saying that stuff to me. These two are probably the closest I'll get to having kids in any way, and I'd never tell someone they were nuts about getting their kid a new toy or some toy car or whatever.

There are way more places you can take a dog than a cat. When I go to the pet store, I see people with their dogs and wish I could do the same with my cats, but no way would they be able to stay on some leash so calmly. LOL, I don't think cats are made like that. Having a kitty stroller at least enables you to take walks with your kitty.

Besides, anybody who saw me walking with a stroller would automatically assume its just a kid!

krdahmer
September 26th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I have always wanted one but never had the moola.... 4 of my guys were outdoors and I know they must miss all the action sometimes, and I figured with my six, taking two at a time would be 3x the workout for me.... which is much needed!:rolleyes: I have seen some of them at my petsmart and they had one of each out and assembled so you could test it out and check them out before purchasing them. And I think the main things I look for is handle height (so you dont slouch to push), sturdy frame, strong netting and a secure zipper. I also liked the one with a compartment for my things. Also they do have one that has a netted front and a cave like spot in the back for scardey cats (or to get outta the sun- would be a good idea for you seeing as you get so much down there). I did a lot of research and there are many nice ones, even Jeep makes them, they look pretty rugged too. Just remember that if they are outdoors in any way, its good to have them on a regular monthly flea treatment like revolution, as not everyone walking restrains their pets properly.

And let me know how the duo like it, I'm still humming and hawing about them over here.

ancientgirl
September 26th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I've seen those Jeep ones, and they do look pretty sturdy. They are pricy, but not as much as some of the other's I've seen.

I use Revolution on them monthly, so I'm thinking they should not have a flea issue.

When I have some spare cash, I think this will be my next purchase. I really hope they enjoy it too, because that would be a great thing to be able to go walking in the evenings with them.

Lukka'sma
September 26th, 2007, 11:00 AM
I love spending time with my little sweeties, but if I'm out walking getting exercise, I'm not having any time with them.

I think it's a great idea. Good for you for wanting to spend as much time as you can with your family:thumbs up

ancientgirl
September 26th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks. Sometimes some people make me feel like I'm nuts for wanting to buy so many things for them or wanting to be home with them.

I think they're just jealous because I have two wonderful little furbabies that will never ask me for car keys, or money or have temper tantrums because they can't have the latest video game. LOL.

Love4himies
September 26th, 2007, 11:21 AM
I think they're just jealous because I have two wonderful little furbabies that will never ask me for car keys, or money or have temper tantrums because they can't have the latest video game. LOL.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I understand how you feel, ancientgirl, I love being home with my kitties too. Don't care what people think, I am too old to care and it is just not important!

Frenchy
September 26th, 2007, 11:35 AM
LOL Frenchy. They make them for Goldens and Great Danes. They call them wheelbarrows. :laughing:

:laughing: Or I could get a stroller for me , and the dogs would pull ME ! :rolleyes:

Back to our regular programming ....

CyberKitten
September 26th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Here is ours....

ancientgirl
September 26th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Oh wow! I love that one! That's a cage right? See, I'd feel more comfortable with something like a cage, since it would make me feel like they can't scratch at it to try to get out.

Can I ask how much you paid for it?

Love4himies
September 26th, 2007, 11:49 AM
:laughing: Or I could get a stroller for me , and the dogs would pull ME ! :rolleyes:

Back to our regular programming ....

I heard you can buy one that comes with optional ski attachment! You could have them pull you all year round :laughing::laughing:.

happycats
September 26th, 2007, 12:24 PM
2nd hand baby stores (once unpon a baby, hand me downs) always have strollers (often tandum ones) couldn't you convert one of those? Or put the cat carrier right inside? Or put some other cage in the stroller? A Pram would be great, lots or room, you could probably fit a large cage in that.

rainbow
September 26th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I would look for a used baby stroller (garage sales, newspaper, ebay, kiilji, cheapcycle.com, freeycle.com, etc.) and get a rain/sun cover for it or use your pet carrier. The cheapest pet stroller I could find is....

http://www.mightypets.com/product.asp?3=1983

2nd hand baby stores (once unpon a baby, hand me downs) always have strollers (often tandum ones) couldn't you convert one of those? Or put the cat carrier right inside? Or put some other cage in the stroller? A Pram would be great, lots or room, you could probably fit a large cage in that.

Oh yeah, I forgot about 2nd hand stores. I've seen lots at the Salvation Army and other thrift stores. It sure would be a lot cheaper to go that route and get one of the mesh rain/sun covers for it. :thumbs up

Lukka'sma
September 26th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Oh CyberKitten that would be perfect for ancientgirl's little ones. ancientgirl please post us a pic if you decide to go ahead and buy one

krdahmer
September 26th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Hey Cyberkitten... I've been looking at those online myself, but wasn't sure how hefty that netting was, how do you find it to be?

ancientgirl
September 26th, 2007, 01:54 PM

That's an excellent suggestion. I was planning on going to the Salvation Army this weekend anyway. I can have a look there.

I just got back from my doctor's office and he told me I need to start doing some form of exercise if I want to lose weight, which I need to do. Yep, losing weight at 40 sure isn't the same as when your 20 or even 30. I'd love to be able to take the Dynamic Duo with me!

Gosh darn it, I'm on a mission now!

rainbow
September 26th, 2007, 02:01 PM
It's even harder when you hit 50+ :laughing:

ancientgirl
September 26th, 2007, 02:05 PM
It's even harder when you hit 50+ :laughing:

What gets me is I wasted my skinny years thinking I was fat.

Even if its just me walking, the mere fact I've got my kitties to keep me company is at least some motivation for me. I just hope that when I do get a stroller they enjoy it.

CyberKitten
September 26th, 2007, 02:15 PM
The one we have doubles as a cat carrier - it's excellent!! We really like it.

Lukka'sma
September 26th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Even if its just me walking, the mere fact I've got my kitties to keep me company is at least some motivation for me.

That is an under statement. My best part of the day is when I have Lukka out in the bush and we can walk for a couple of hours and only see wildlife and no people. The scenery is perhaps not on the same level as what Rick C gets to enjoy but to Lukka and I, it is perfect. We relish our time with each other as if it were some sort of gift. When I return home with her I can hardly wait for the following day to do it all again. Hope you look forward to your special time walking your kitties the same way Lukka and I enjoy our time in the woods.

ancientgirl
September 26th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I don't have much in the way of woods where I live, but there are some quiet neighborhoods behind my apartment complex, so I figure I could wind through those where there is less traffic so they won't get frightened. I mean, I want them to enjoy it, not get stressed out by it.

krdahmer
September 26th, 2007, 04:37 PM
What gets me is I wasted my skinny years thinking I was fat.

Even if its just me walking, the mere fact I've got my kitties to keep me company is at least some motivation for me. I just hope that when I do get a stroller they enjoy it.

Oh amen on that one!!! I think I was most insecure when I was hot!:sad:

I too think having a stroller and being able to take my kitties with me would help, for now I stick to my treadmill. Buddy tries the treadmill now and then but hasn't really figured it out yet... :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
September 26th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Yep, I was a size 3 and still thought I was fat!

I had a treadmill and gave it to my brother because I didn't have the room at my old place. Of course I now have more than enough room.

But getting a kitty stroller will get me out of the house and my little ones will enjoy some time outside seeing the world.

Love4himies
September 27th, 2007, 06:17 AM
I love walking my kitties, one is on a leash and harness (he is a runner) the other one is free (she is senior and doesn't like to exert any more energy than she has to), she just follows along, or we follow her, depending on her mood. I do it daily and it is the most relaxing part of my day. I live out in the country though, no traffic.

I think this is a great way to start walking. Your cats will come to look forward to their daily walks! Is there a park nearby that you can walk them to so they can watch the birds and/or squirrels?

ancientgirl
September 27th, 2007, 09:54 AM
There really isn't a park nearby. Parks for me I'd have to drive to, and even those aren't really that big. But there's a wonderful park not too far from me, actually it's one of those garden type places. Fairchild Tropical Gardens. I think you have to pay to get in, but that might be something nice I can do one weekend. Take them and stroll along the path with them.

Lukka'sma
September 27th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I pay to take Lukka on our daily walks. We go to a conservation area outside of the city. $70.00 a season and I get a sticker on my windshield to get through the main gates. It's well worth it. Plenty of trails in the middle of nowhere and never see a soul, just trees and trails and more trees and trails. What could be better. Sometimes it's a tough go in the really heavily wooded area's but we get through it.
Bunnies galore running around, deer everywhere, fox and coyote....I could go on and on. I just wish everyone had the chance to get out to such a wonderful area to walk their doggy and kitties.

Love4himies
October 12th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Have you found a stroller to take your kitties out for walks yet?

ancientgirl
October 12th, 2007, 10:10 AM
I've seen a couple that look like they will work and they are reasonably priced. Now my problem is the weather. It's been raining quite a bit here lately, and the heat and humidity is horrible.

I realized that I've got to think about their comfort level when I take them out. They're used to being indoors in a temperature of 70-75 degrees F. And lately, it's been hot and humid in the evenings.

I'm going to wait until the weather cools a bit before I'll be able to take them for any kind of a stroll.

Love4himies
October 12th, 2007, 11:49 AM
My cats do not like high heat and humidity either and normally just sleep when it is hot.

ancientgirl
October 12th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Yeah, not to mention I wouldn't want to have them in such heat and then bring them into a cool apartment.

Lissa
October 13th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I have a bike trailer for Dodger and Minnow - the one's for small pets were incredibly pricey for such a tiny amount of space (and would have been useless for Dodger). Minnow much prefers walking but with Dodger's stamina she quickly learned to love HER ride.
With regards to hot weather, I bring cold gel packs and a cotton "blanket" that I can soak if I need to cool her down fast (she will try and keep up with Dodger at all costs). Also, Minnow needed time (she'd never forgive me if I called it "training":D) to "learn" to drink from various bottles and bowls when we were out. For the first 2 years, Minnow would refuse to drink on her walks. So you may want to watch your kitties carefully (or make sure they will drink in the stroller before you go on long walks).
This is the only picture I have on this computer (incredibly off-topic but I have to say that Dodger is on a retractable leash for extreme reasons, I don't like/use them under normal circumstances):o

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb63/LissaPaws/IMG_4544.jpg

ancientgirl
October 13th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Whoa! That's pretty awesome! It's super roomy too! That's the other problem I'm noticing. These pet strollers are small. I mean, I want to put both of them in there, and Vlad's already at 10 pounds and possibly more. Oksana is up to 6 pounds. I want something that they will both fit in and have room to at least stand and move.