Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Difficulty with marking behavior

acherlin
May 23rd, 2004, 01:02 AM
I recently adopted a 2 year-old female named Brandi 5 months ago. She is very submissive but gets along well with my other 2 year-old female. She appears house broken, but every 2 weeks, she decides to mark the carpet at least 1-2 times. She never does this in front of people. In fact, I personally think that she sneaks off to do this. I cannot watch her 24 hours a day to scold her when she urinates because she can hold her urine for a long time. I even get her to "urinate on command" outside the house before she comes into the house, so I know that she is not urinating because she just needs to potty. Also, no signs of a urinary tract infection. Any ideas? :confused:

Angela

Lucky Rescue
May 23rd, 2004, 10:42 AM
You say she appears to be housebroken, but apparently she is not. She sneaks off to pee and is submissive. This very well may have been the reason she was abandoned in the first place. She may also have been punished for this, and that is why she sneaks off.

You will have to start over, and treat her like an unhousebroken puppy. You must confine her when you go out, and not let her out of your sight when she is inside. Keep her in the room with you, or attach her to you with a leash. This is the only way you are going to get her housetrained.

Do not punish or scold her. This will make her more fearful and submissive and won't help at all.

Brian Stewart
May 31st, 2004, 06:07 PM
We have the same problem with one of our 2 Shih Tzus and it just started recently. The more dominant of the two has started marking territory ( or so it seems ) in a couple of regular places. He never did this before and has never had a "control" problem. He goes outside regularly and has always managed his training very well. All of a sudden, he has started doing this and we can't figure out why.

We tried to keep the areas off limits and it seemed to break the habit. Then after a few days or weeks, if we get the least bit slack and forget to close a door, he will do it again. We try to treat the area so that it removed the scent, etc. but it is always difficult to constantly be sure ( with the traffic in our home ) to make sure a particular door is always closed.

Is there anyone else out thee who can offer a ray of hope as to how to more permanently help our dog stop this habit? It is especially un-nerving in that it has just seemingly started out of the blue....

Lucky Rescue
May 31st, 2004, 07:21 PM
ARe your dogs both males? Both neutered?

If so, I would first have him checked to make sure he doesnt' have a urinary tract infection. If not, I would try a "belly band". You can get this at most pet stores, and it seems very effective for male dogs who mark in the house.

nabj
October 14th, 2004, 07:45 PM
I have the same problem. I adopted a 3 yr old chihuahua mix last year. He was newly neutered. He was very shy very sweet and had a great temprement. He starting marking the house and pooping once a month in the house in the same spot, almost to the day. We put up with it because I could not catch him and the old fashioned way is to rub their nose in it which I did and now regret. He overcame his shyness and turned out to be a good dog except for this problem. We then moved and I was a wreck withthis marking problem well he didn't do it till about 4 mos later. We had to redo alot to this house and I was amzed how well he did with the workmen. Then about 3 weeks a go he started doing it again. He is so spoiled very much has alot of attention and is outside alot during the day. He is walked about 3 times aday and ususally only poops once or twice. I do not understand this at all. We started locking him in the kitchen when we are gone. He didn't seem to mind. Well last night he was sleeping in his bed, my husband came home from work (he loves him now but it took awhile) my dog gets up from his bed and runs to the living room and pees all over a chair!!!! I do not know what is going on ! He can hold it 8 hrs or more he was just out and he did this! He was abused before and like I said has come such a long way he seems to adore his life! He was on death row at the pund. Please if there is anyone out there who can help me? My husband has said this is why a 3yr old dog was at the pound he obviously drove his family nuts and cannot be fixed of this problem. Please help he is so sweet. sad

Lucky Rescue
October 14th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Anyone getting a toy breed like a Chi must understand that these dogs can be a real challenge to housetrain completely.

No doubt your dog was dumped and abused for this. As you have found out, abusing him yourself by "rubbing his nose in it" does NOT work. I'm glad you stopped doing this.:)

You are going to have to confine him when you can't watch him - either in a crate or an X-pen and treat him as you would an unhousetrained puppy. You must be consistant, diligent, patient and KIND. Abuse of any kind - even yelling - will make this problem worse.

IF he is peeing only,(leg lifting) you might want to consider the advice I gave above and get him a belly band. This often works quite well.

Here is an article you may find helpful:
http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/housetrain.html