Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Collar

want4rain
September 25th, 2007, 10:16 AM
anyone here use them for their cats? i have one on Frances for if we adopted her out... to have her already use to it.

what are your thoughts on this? our cats are strictly indoors but on occasion we have a prison break. Frances hasnt been interested in going out, they are all microchipped... :shrug:

-ashley

Love4himies
September 25th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I don't use collars on my cats while they are indoors. They do go outside on supervised outings. One doesn't move quick enough to have a collar and is a Himalayan so a collar would mess up her fur and the other gets a harness with a leash hanging from it when he goes out. He will run after chipmunks and I have to have him on a leash.

I did have a DSH male who did have a collar on 24/7 because he did go outside for short periods while we were home. He was a biter and would randomly attack if cornered so I kept his current Rabies tag on the collar. The rabies tag would also double as ID if he got lost.

jessi76
September 25th, 2007, 01:26 PM
no collars on my cats.

mine like to get the collars jammed up into their mouths and before we know it, they are flopping around, gagging, struggling, drooling, choking.... resulting in me getting slashed up by claws flying, trying to cut the darn thing off with kitchen scissors... it's not pretty.

so, we've given up. even the quick release ones didn't RELEASE and ended up with the same scenerio.

my cats are only outside when we are with them, and supervising.

breeze
September 25th, 2007, 03:25 PM
When I had my cats I would always keep a collar on them, like you said there was alway at one time a prison break and sure enough one would end up at someone else house. The collars always had ID tags and a small bell to give little critter a chance for escape.. The collars never bothered them , and we were able to remove them no problem..
The collars were small (thin) and made of soft nylon..

chico2
September 25th, 2007, 04:26 PM
My cats only wear collars when we take them outside and they happily wait to have them put on,knowing we are going out.
They actually won't even go outside unless they have them on,a habit I guess:cat:

ancientgirl
September 25th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I've stopped putting collars on mine during the day. I did it for two reasons:

1. Oksana was itching a lot around her neck. My vet suggested keeping the collar off for a while to see if it was that or an allergy.

2. I came home one day and found the Little Miss with no collar and thought she got it caught on something, which scared me. What if next time it doesn't come off.

I let them run around with no collars until I go to bed. I put the collars on only so I know where they are in the dark. They're black, so its the only way I can find them is to listen to them.

growler~GateKeeper
September 25th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Duffy when she was indoor/outdoor had a stretchy breakaway one on 24/7 with ID & a bell, but since moving to the apartment (second floor so no escaping here) I have left it off of her - she also had a bad case of "ring around the collar" - no fur where her collar was. Since grown back in beautifully :D

Now I only put the collar, harness & leash (with rabies tag attached) on when we leave the apt. If she were to go out the apt door into the bldg hallway she knows her way back - I have walked her in the hallways from different directions enough now that she knows which door to go to.

She is not microchipped & her ear tattoo is unreadable but she also 16 years old & won't go anywhere, even when she is let outside when visiting my parents - she won't leave the yard. (& lets out very loud warning yowls long before another cat comes close, if it comes in the yard)

krdahmer
September 26th, 2007, 10:47 AM
All six wear their collars all the time.... and are indoors. We've had a few escape attempts and my biggest fear is fire when we are not here, at least if a door can get opened they could run out and would be identified later (and hopefully returned)... mine are all also microchipped. The collars they wear are breakaway collars so they don't get caught or choked, and they also have tags with my number and the number for the microchip company (and they have a plethora of alternate emergency contacts- my family our cells). It just makes me feel that they are a little safer should something go wrong, or they get out when someone is watching them for me.

I think collars are important for all pets, as it is the easiest way for someone happening upon them to know they belong to someone and that they can be approached. We can plan and supervise and microchip, but accidents and the unforseen can always happen, and I want people to know these cats have a home and that someone is missing them dearly.