Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Timed-out

growler~GateKeeper
September 25th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Is there any way to not get timed-out or at least delay that time into a longer period? Or is this something uncontrollable? :confused:

Like tonight I was posting a long reply in someones' thread & got timed out when I went to preview my post, okay so I just logged back in & "proceed" to viewing my post. But when I'm done with that reply & click new posts I get the "all below threads have not been updated since your last visit" :wall: :wall: I have now just lost my place in 3 pages of threads so I then have to click on the last response for every one & scroll up to where I last read - sometimes 6+ posts. I have noticed this sometimes happens when reading the responses to a thread that has had alot for that day ie the tjt.

Anything that can be done with this?? :shrug: Or am I asking too much?? :D

TeriM
September 25th, 2007, 03:36 AM
I agree, it would be nice to have a bit longer time period before we get "timed out".

marko
September 25th, 2007, 08:00 AM
It's something we'll be exploring in the next little while. I do believe that it's probably a problem with only one thread on the board the TJT because it gets so much simultaneous action and the thread is so long.

can you tell me growler did this happen this time as well in the TJT (threadjack thread)? if not which thread was it and at what time?

Thx

marko

hazelrunpack
September 25th, 2007, 12:29 PM
I get timed out any time I try a long post. One tip I got from Prin to mitigate it is to open two windows--one for posting, the other showing "who's online". The "who's online" screen updates every few minutes, and that helps to keep you from timing out. :thumbs up

Or, you can get really good at remembering to check for a connection icon before hitting the submit button. hazel uses her one remaining functioning memory cell for that... :crazy:

marko
September 25th, 2007, 12:38 PM
ahhh ok - more clarity for Marko. There is a default timeout period and I believe it's 15 min. It is a security feature so that if you are at work let's say, after 15 minutes your login session expires...so nobody can get into your settings.

growler~GateKeeper
September 25th, 2007, 08:35 PM
It's something we'll be exploring in the next little while. I do believe that it's probably a problem with only one thread on the board the TJT because it gets so much simultaneous action and the thread is so long.

can you tell me growler did this happen this time as well in the TJT (threadjack thread)? if not which thread was it and at what time?

Thx

marko

That time it wasn't the TJT.
I was responding to the Husky Coat Question thread @ 11:08 pm board time, typing away a looong answer :D & when I hit preview post I was timed out. :shrug:

It has happened before just reading the TJT though - that I get because some days there are so many posts.

Thanks Marko :thumbs up

I'll definately try the 2 window trick as well. Thanks Hazel :thumbs up

marko
September 27th, 2007, 07:58 AM
I've reset the timeout period and added 5 min...so now it's 20 minutes instead of 15. Still for most posts even I copy and paste before I hit the reply button....it's just a habit that takes a millisecond.

Honestly though, 98% of the time I have no trouble getting posts through. (I am using hi-speed and internet explorer)
Sometimes, it lags for a few seconds but RARELY for more than 6 or 7 and normally the post goes through within 2 seconds or so.

Again I think the real problem (when people are having major issues) is many users posting simultaneously in large threads like TJT or threads with many pics. This is something we hope to help solve shortly.

If more people could also post here explaining their difficulties (along with how they are connected as well - high speed vs dialup.) and the FREQUENCY of those difficulties, that would help.

Also if many regulars have no problems at all or almost no problems, that would be helpful too. The more info the better.

I also have and do regularly help troubleshoot and offer advice to members having technical probs. I'm not really a techie...but I do know a few tricks....even if you are on dialup I can try to help and I have an amazing long distance plan so it's no problem and my pleasure to call if that helps.

many thanks as always! :grouphug:

Marko

growler~GateKeeper
September 28th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Thanks Marko,

It not that I lose the reply that I was typing but when you click "new posts" you get the down arrow beside the thread title to go to the "first new post", after being timed-out you lose all the places where you last read in all the posts, cuz the board thinks you've read it already :shrug: then you have to click on the arrow beside the last posters name to "go to last post" & scroll up to where you last read.

It doesn't happen often, but abit :wall: when it does especially if I haven't read most of the posts for the day already, then have to "find my place" in them all again.

I'm trying the 2 window approach when typing long posts/reading TJT - works great. :thumbs up

I'm on High Speed Enhanced, IE & have a brand new computer running Vista ;)