Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What could be wrong with my dog?

cjanet4mk
September 25th, 2007, 12:21 AM
I came home tonight from a long day at the hospital with my father. Chloe, a 1 1/2 yr old Bassett hound, usually greets me at the door very excited and looking for a kiss. I didn't see her for about 20 minutes and when I did she just sat there, looking around her like she was scared of something. I tried rolling her over so I could rub her tummy and she wouldn't let me. She didn't groal or nip at me, she just wouldn't roll over. When I finally got her on her back she imediately got back up.

She is also drooling a lot (which she doesn't drool) She also won't eat any treats which she always does her training for treats. I did get her to go outside and she did pee and she wags her tail when we do get her to move, but then she stops and just sits there looking at us and acting scared.

My husband thinks she just has a tummy ache. What do you all think.

growler~GateKeeper
September 25th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Have you checked around the house to see if she has eaten something she shouldn't have ie plants, furniture, chocolate, garbage, shoes, kitty litter etc??

Did she eat her dinner/drinking water tonight?

Any thunderstorms/tornado warnings?

The drooling may indicate a poisoning ie chocolate/house plants/chemical cleaners etc

I would take her in to have a through check by the vet to be sure she hasn't injured her knee/back etc especially considering the short leg to long back ratio ;) & also a check for foreign objects she may have eaten & poisonous substances

Good luck & let us know how it goes.

TeriM
September 25th, 2007, 03:35 AM
I agree with Growler.

Drooling can be a sign of an upset tummy as well as poisoning etc. I would definately keep a close eye on her and if you see any signs of lethargy, shock or a change in behavior then definately rush her to the vet.

cjanet4mk
September 25th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the replies. She is fine this morning and I was wondering the same thing as far as poisoning, but I had not thought of chocolate. Since I was gone all day yesterday, my husband was home with the kids plus my niece and nephew. He is a wonderful dad, but he sometimes is not as observant as he should be when it comes to keeping an eye on everything. My niece loves Chloe, but she is your typical 5 year old and drops crumbs when she is eating and loves to watch Chloe eat them. It is very likely Chloe could have had some chocolate.

My daughter also told me she gave Chloe one of her dental chew toys that you can fill with dog toothpaste. I didn't know we still had the toothpaste and was wondering if maybe it had gone bad and she had a tummy ache from this.

She is fine this morning, which is a relief since I have to go back to the hospital all day today. I do love my dog, but my dad takes top priority over her.

mastifflover
September 25th, 2007, 09:25 AM
I am glad your baby is feeling better, but keep an eye on her. I have been through a poisoning and it did not end well. Here is a great link for a lot of things that can be toxic to your dog.
:pawprint:
http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dtoxin.html

growler~GateKeeper
September 25th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Everyone in your house needs to be very vigilient when it comes to chocolate especially - 1 ounce of chocolate per pound of dog has the very high potiential to kill your dog. ie 10 oz chocolate will very likely kill a 10 lbs dog :sad:

cjanet4mk
September 25th, 2007, 11:27 PM
I came home tonight from a meeting and I got my normal excited greeting from Chloe! She came tearing through the house wagging her tail so hard that her little bum was wagging right along with it. She jumped up on me and gave me a big kiss. I wish my kids and husband greeted me like that everytime I come home.

growler~GateKeeper
September 25th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Glad to hear she is feeling better :thumbs up

And she is a cutie :cloud9:

cjanet4mk
September 26th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks! The kids always wonder why she follows me around and gets so excited when I come home and I remind them she knows who takes care of her the most and she also respects the fact that I am the Alpha Female, which they competely don't.

I know I am prejudice, but I really think she is adorable and the best dog ever!

rainbow
September 26th, 2007, 02:05 PM
You are right....Chloe is adorable. :lovestruck: I don't know how old your kids are but they'll get paid back when they have kids of their own. :laughing:

Love4himies
September 26th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Glad to hear Chloe recovered. I LOVE Chloe's eyes! Bet she gets what ever she wants with those peepers!

cjanet4mk
September 26th, 2007, 11:01 PM
She is a wonderful dog! When I had to put my other dog done my kids wanted another dog immediately. I just couldn't do that, plus we were going into fall and winter and I didn't want to train a puppy on a cold winter morning! Finally in spring, I was ready and I spent a lot of time in prayer asking Lord to send the right dog our way.

We spent some time looking and even looked at some dogs with different animal rescues, but none of them seemed right. Then the daughter of our neighbor brought over Chloe when she was about 9 weeks old and asked us if we wanted her. They new we were looking and hadn't found the right dog. She was the runt of the litter and no one was wanting her for a pet. We just fell in love with her. Here is a picture of her the day we got her. Talk about ADORABLE!!!!

The Lord definately answered our prayers in sending her our way. She rarely barks, only when you are playing soccer with her (we need to make the next Air Bud movie with her), loves kids, greets me at the door like I am her long lost friend and she passed obediance school with flying colors! Yes I am the proud momma!

I am glad she recovered the other night because I don't know what I would have done if the outcome would have been....I don't even want to think about it!

Thanks for everyone's comments!