Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please help: My dog is scared of his dog walker (?)

hotfeet
September 24th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Hi everyone,
I've had a "well recommended" dog walker for more than 6 months. I was working full time before, and liked it a lot and thought that my dog liked her too. The problem is that now I'm on maternity leave so I'm at home (decided to continue with his walker 3 days a week so that my dog does not loose his routine and his doggie friends) and every time the dog walker comes to pick him up, he does not want to go, and today he was hiding under the table, really reluctant to go. I am very concerned with this reaction from my dog, I checked him head to toe and no signs of abuse. I don't know if he is acting this way because he is attached to me and wants to be with me and the new baby, or because he is being abused either by his walker or by another dog. I have thought of asking a family member of mine to follow her (without being recognized) and check on how is she handling my dog.
I am really worried. Please share your opinions and comments.
Thanks
Erin

JanM
September 24th, 2007, 11:00 PM
It is possible that there is another dog in the group that your dog does not like. This has happened with my dog when going out in a group. I do hope it isn't the dog walker!

Is there any way you can watch how he acts and reacts to the walker and to the other dogs?

shredy
September 24th, 2007, 11:17 PM
How does your dog react to other people when you are around? If this is unusual I would trust your instincts and your dog's instincts. Ask if you can go on a walk with them (if possible with your schedule) see if it is another dog that walks with them or if the walker is reluctant to take you with... Or maybe you can get a tiny camera to put on his collar :laughing:

I hope everything is on the up and up, I don't know what I would do if I knew that someone had hurt my dog!

hotfeet
September 25th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Thank you for your insights. I am going to ask if I can go with her, although with the newborn baby is difficult for me to plan. My dog is very attached to me and sometimes does not want to go out without me but he has never hidden under the table. I cannot let my dog continue being walked until I am completely certain that everything is fine. He is supposed to enjoy it and I get stressed just to think that something is wrong.
Wish me luck, I'll keep you posted
Erin

jiorji
September 25th, 2007, 03:53 PM
well this is a no brainer. I'd switch walkers in a second!

animals sense things we don't. There's a reason for fear.

mummummum
September 25th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Perhaps you might also want to invite your dogwalker in for a quick cold drink to see if your dog comes out from under the table and approaches her in a "my old pal" kind of way. That may help you to separate whether it is the thought of leaving you versus the dogwalker and problems on the walk that is causing his anxiety. This willalso give you an opportunity to ask the dogwalker if anything odd or untoward has happened between them or along their route/ with other dogs.