Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Organs?

want4rain
September 24th, 2007, 09:33 AM
i have a friend who goose hunts and another who deer hunts, are there any organs we should avoid? im getting heads and feet and guts. id also like to look into some of the local goat farmers and sheep farmers to see how that works with them. if i shouldnt feed straight up intestine, let me know because i dont think my dog would hesitate *sigh* he is a vacuum.

-ashley

rainbow
September 24th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I just read about feeding organ meat from deer. I know it said not to feed some of them. I'll see if I can find the article. :)

CyberKitten
September 24th, 2007, 01:51 PM
I am too afraid of mad cow disease or the other varieties in deer and elk (already found in North America) to ever be comfortable with it. I know more than I;d like to about this illness- even among humans in Canada though you won't read it in the media. So, I would recommend against it. Even if you are unconcerned about CJD or its equivalent, there are other problems with meat from animals killed in the forest.

The problem is it never goes through a process of evaluation so how can one be certain if it is good. Is it really with it to trust some unknown source?

Those are the questions I ask myself and I know my replies. It really is up to you - I know we are all different - but for health reasons alone, I'd never use it.

want4rain
September 24th, 2007, 05:57 PM
http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow/greger12304.cfm

lets skip the whole deer and cow intestines. thats for sure.

should we skip fowl intestines or are those ok too?

(im glad we dont eat much beef... and its organic when we do!!)

-ashley

erykah1310
September 24th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I myself am most uncomfortable with heads.
I dont feed my guys any heads of anything other than fish.
But as far as wild game, they get their fair share of liver, lungs and hearts.
I freeze it longer than I would "store" meat
Go by what you are comfortable with. Just make sure to do research (as you are):thumbs up.