Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New dog in the family and some issues

pamha
September 24th, 2007, 12:36 AM
No, not ours unfortunately, but my parents have found a sweet little rescue dog. Their last dog was PTS over a year ago after being with them for 16 years. My mom was getting lonely when my dad goes on his hunting trips and had been looking for something similar to a Boston. This little lady is a 3yo Beagle mix, mostly black with some white markings and has a spaniely face, very sweet. She settled right into their home yesterday and seems perfect for them.

The only problem came when we brought our Lola over to meet her. Lola is larger, a border collie/chow X, but is the scaredy sort. The new dog, Molly, right away started growling and kept going after Lola. She had been in a foster home and we were told she got along with the other dogs, but liked to be in charge. I`m thinking she most likely was telling Lola "this is my space now" and Lola wasn`t being submissive enough for her. My mom is so upset at how this encounter went that she`s thinking they should return Molly. They keep Lola for us when we go out of town and we were going to do the same with Molly; in fact they have an overnight trip coming up next weekend and we planned to have Molly here. I`m pretty sure they can work things out, so we`re going to try another encounter tomorrow, in a neutral space. I also want to have Molly here, for a short time, before she spends the night.

I know this a lot of changes in a short time for her and we can`t expect the dogs to be best buds right off, but I could use any tips for how best to handle this next meeting and having her at our home. Molly does sleep in a crate, so I`m planning to have that here when she is. If necessary, we can keep them physically separated for that short time, but we really need them to get along or at least tolerate each other.

Thanks!

rainbow
September 24th, 2007, 01:20 AM
I think you already have things figured out. Meeting in a neutral place is best for the first couple of times and then bring Molly to see Lola at your place. I hope it all works out. Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
September 24th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I don't know much about dogs, but I've been watching a lot of animal planet since I've had my cats, and I've been lurking on some of these threads about dog advice and it seems to me like they just need some time to get used to each other.

I'm sure if you just let them be around one another things will be fine. And I gather that as long as you and those around you are calm then that might trickle down to the dogs and they'll realize there's no need for so much stress.

Good luck! I'd hate for Molly to have to go back. She seems like she really needs a good home.

t.pettet
September 24th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Let them work it out by themselves, your new girl will push Lola too far and Lola will let her know who's boss. This will be settled in less time and with less fighting if you leave them to it.

les
September 25th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I really disagree with just letting them fight it out.

I mean, in my house I'm the leader and my dogs are the followers and when I invite another dog into my house, my dogs have NO choice but to accept it. And if one of them gets snarly or anything, they immediately get corrected because it's not acceptable in my pack.

I think the newcomer just needs some correction so she learns it's not acceptable behaviour.

Frenchy
September 25th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I mean, in my house I'm the leader and my dogs are the followers and when I invite another dog into my house, my dogs have NO choice but to accept it.

I totally agree , BUT dogs have to figure out their place in the pack (with the other dogs) and no humain can do this for them. Altough , you must supervise so they won't hurt eachothers.

les
September 25th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I'm sort of undecided where I stand on that. I used to think that but in a wolf pack there's the leader and the rest. There are no 2-3-4 place .. there's just the rest of the pack. (Unless maybe you include the alpha female, assuming the main alpha is male) And 2 pack members can hate eachother but they have no choice but to tolerate eachother.

Dogs are an interesting bunch =)

pamha
September 25th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks all :)
The second meeting went much better, we went to a dog park, had it all to ourselves, and the girls spent more time sniffing around the area than they did sniffing each other. They did have a few good interactions and we were feeling much better about it.

BUT now my dad is thinking of all sorts of other potential problems. They have a dog-hating GSD next door that he is afraid will break her fence (she never has, but I think she could if she really tried), and he`s afraid she`s too beagle-y to be trained well enough that they could trust her off-leash. They don`t have a fence and I *thought* they were commited to using the leash, but he was figuring any new dog would eventually learn the boundaries and be responsive enough to be trusted. My dad is the type that just worries things into the ground til he talks himself into believing his worries are going to happen. I`ve tried to help them think of ways of overcoming these problems, but I think they have their minds made up she`s not going to work out for them. :mad: I`m just sick about it, I don`t think they could find a more perfect dog, except maybe for the beagle part.

They`re going to talk to the rescue worker this evening and probably will take her back to the foster home, unless her spot is filled. I`m kind of hoping they don`t have a spot for her right away and she`ll get to stay, at least temporarily so they can have a more realistic view of if she`ll work out, and fall more in love her too.

mummummum
September 25th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Well that's a shame Pamha ~ so very hard on the dog. Perhaps your father isn't ready for another dog quite yet.

pamha
October 4th, 2007, 11:54 PM
My folks did return Molly to the rescue, but they had to keep her a few more days (we got to babysit too!) before she could be picked up.
We all had a couple of sad days before my folks reconsidered and decided Molly was probably about as a good a dog as they could hope for. I think it was more my dad being unsure, he`s never been big on pets, although he is good with animals. He knows how important it was to my mom and they decided they would work to overcome the problems. They are going to get into classes right away. My kids are over-the-moon happy and I`m happy for them too. I really think its going to work out :thumbs up

And BTW, my original question, didn`t turn out to be a problem at all. Molly was fine at our house & both dogs got along well.

luckypenny
October 5th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Woohoo! That is fantastic news! Just goes to show that it really does take a bit of time in most cases. What a stroke of luck that there was a delay in bringing her back to the Rescue! Congrats!

ancientgirl
October 5th, 2007, 08:34 AM
I'm so glad your dad decided to give Molly a second chance!

Janie123
October 8th, 2007, 11:43 AM
When Molly goes after your dog,grab her and put her on her side with your fingers around her neck. Those are your *teeth* and you are telling her you are the pack leader. Bring your dog to stand over her while you do this. If your dog does this too,do the same to her. If they both go after each other,do this to both of them and make them lay on the ground,head to head and don't allow them to move for a few minutes,correcting them with your hand around the neck if they move.
When you can,take them on walks together,correcting them if they fight. If Molly keeps growling at your dog,put her leash on her. Each time she growls,jerk the leash toward you and make her look at you. If she so much as averts her eyes toward your dog, jerk the leash again.
Your parents have to do this too. It's not hurting Molly. She just has to see herself as part of a pack with you and your parents as pack leaders.
She has to see herself as part of the pack. Yes,I am a Caesar Milan fan and his methods work on my dogs.
My dogs would go crazy attacking the fence if they saw kids or other dogs. I mean,it was vicious barking. Boo listens to me but Bonnie is stubborn. The leash method worked. She couldn't even look at that fence and she sat right in front of me. Now she responds to voice commands. You might have to repeat these methods till Molly gets it.

pamha
October 8th, 2007, 11:06 PM
We`ve had Molly to play at our home a few times and they have been getting along great. I think the first time was just too much stimultation in a new home. Next time we bring Lola to their home to visit, we will have them together outside first, and I think they will be fine inside after that.

Molly has been settling in well. She just adores my mom. They are signed up for training classes starting next week, so everything`s going great!:thumbs up

rainbow
October 9th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Glad to hear things are working out well with Molly. :highfive: