Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat's meow sounds strange!

stefaniely
September 23rd, 2007, 06:37 PM
Hello! A stray cat showed up at my house. My grandmother refuses to let it in the house or even the garage. I have been feeding and giving her water daily, but she lives outside. Recently, her once sweet little meow changed. It sounds like she swallowed some poison and it has affected her vocal cords. She sounds sick. My husband refuses to let me take her to the vet. Does anyone know of any medicine I can give her or anything else I can do? Thank you!

mummummum
September 23rd, 2007, 06:58 PM
It could be that she ate something caustic but it could also be any number of things. Please don't give it any human medicine as this is just as likely to make the problem worse ~ clearly, the cat needs to be seen by a Vet. Is there any way you can trap the cat and call Animal Control or the SPCA to collect her ?

badger
September 23rd, 2007, 07:06 PM
Does she cry and cry?
Can you tell us what it sounds like?
Can you touch her? Would she be easy to catch?

Thank you for helping her out. Too bad your family is so stubborn :) because she really does need to see a vet. If you think her throat is sore, give her canned food with a little water so she doesn't have to chew. And please don't give her any human medicines you have around the house, most of them are poisonous for cats.

Since it may be an emergency, I would go to www.petfinder.com, scroll down to "Find Animal Rescue Groups' on the left, and put in your zip code. You'll get a list of animal welfare groups in your area. Call around and see if someone can help her. She needs more care than you can give her and to get off the street permanently.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Love4himies
September 23rd, 2007, 07:17 PM
She really needs to see a vet ASAP, call a rescue or your local SPCA/Humane Society who will ensure she gets medical treatment. It could be poison or there is a virus that can lodge itself in the throat affecting the vocal chords. It is accompanied with a high fever and the cat will need proper nutrition and hyrdration to survive.

stefaniely
September 23rd, 2007, 08:05 PM
Thank you all for your comments. She doesn't cry and cry, but she always acts like she is starving. I feed her 2 times (sometimes 3) a day, but almost every time I come outside...she comes charging towards me, yelping. Or she just lays there like she's exhausted. I can touch her. I could probably catch her. She's never scratched or bit me before. I haven't (and will not) give her any human medicines. I will get her some canned food and call all the places you all recommended. The reason I haven't done anything before is because I have gotten attached to her. As much as she annoys me sometimes, I know I will deeply miss her when she is gone. She showed up at an extremely difficult time in my life and I felt like she was a gift. She has been a great source of comfort. Of course, her well-being is more important. I would feel terrible if I came outside and she had passed on. I didn't know how severe the situation was, though so I will take care of this ASAP! Stefanie

CyberKitten
September 23rd, 2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks for helping this kitty - is there no way at all you can keep her? Convince your family or find a place fr her to stay where you can visit her at least? I feel for you and this cat, sigh!!

She does sound like she needs to see a vet and I would do that asap as you suggest you will be doing. Many humans meds are dangerous to cats and in any case, it is never wise to administer any meds if you do not know what the problem might be. She may have a variety of issues, being on the run and outside as she is (poor cat - my heart aches thinking about her). I am so glad you are going to care for her and get her help!

Good luck ands keep us posted! :pray::fingerscr

allymack
September 23rd, 2007, 08:15 PM
does her meow sound like she is any pain or discomfort?

stefaniely
September 23rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
Well, I just went outside. I have a huge backyard so that's where she lives. She is just laying there on a rug. I'm about to start crying. I don't want to let her go. I'm going to talk to my husband when he gets home from work. I know he cares for her. He acts like he doesn't, but he is the one who started feeding her to begin with. He just doesn't know how we can afford the vet at this time. My grandmother is a different story. She has been very ill (off and on) for 3 1/2 years so I need to respect her wishes. If I'm able to keep her and get her to the vet, do you think she could survive in the garage? Thanks to everyone who has responded and God bless!

stefaniely
September 23rd, 2007, 08:27 PM
No, she doesn't sound like she is in any pain or discomfort. She sound like she has a cold. She also looks like she's an older cat because she is grey with white hair. I will try to take a picture of her.

stefaniely
September 23rd, 2007, 09:01 PM
Here is a picture of her:

badger
September 23rd, 2007, 11:38 PM
Actually, the colour of a cat's coat has nothing to do with age. She doesn't look old to me. If you get a chance to look at her teeth, the more stained they are, the older she is. That's one of the ways vets tell a cat's age, a very imperfect science!
I'm sorry to say that keeping her in the garage is a bad idea. Without much human contact , she would be very lonely.
Is your house big enough to keep her away from your grandmother?
Otherwise, I think asking a rescue to help find her a home would be the best thing to do. There is definitely a cat in your future :), just not right now.

krdahmer
September 24th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Are there any rescues in your area? They could get her seen by a vet right away and perhaps find her a home, if you are unable to keep her and her illness is not serious. She needs to see a vet asap. If you don't have the funds... try to find someone who does... is there a vet near you that would accept payments? God bless you for wanting to help this pretty cat, and I hope that she gets better.:pray::pray:

Love4himies
September 24th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Well, I just went outside. I have a huge backyard so that's where she lives. She is just laying there on a rug. I'm about to start crying. I don't want to let her go. I'm going to talk to my husband when he gets home from work. I know he cares for her. He acts like he doesn't, but he is the one who started feeding her to begin with. He just doesn't know how we can afford the vet at this time. My grandmother is a different story. She has been very ill (off and on) for 3 1/2 years so I need to respect her wishes. If I'm able to keep her and get her to the vet, do you think she could survive in the garage? Thanks to everyone who has responded and God bless!

She is better off in the garage than outside, where she can be hit by a car. Just ensure there are no toxins in there for her to get into. Antifreeze is extremely poisonous to animals and small amouts will kill quickly.

Puss'FavPerson
September 24th, 2007, 06:35 PM
My dad built a "doghouse" for one of my cats, and installed a small lightbulb in it to provide warmth. The cat happily lived in there and out of doors all one winter.

jiorji
September 24th, 2007, 08:28 PM
cats have more than one sound. So i'm not sure if there's something wrong....she could just be in a different mood.:shrug:


:fingerscr that there's been no poisoning

growler~GateKeeper
September 25th, 2007, 12:26 AM
My first thought in reading your post is: perhaps it's because she's pregnant??? She is an outdoor stray after all :shrug: I would take her to the vet as soon as you can to check for pregnancy & have a blood panel done to check for other things such as toxins & to make sure all bodily functions are in normal range such as her Thyroid gland, the thyroid hormone fluctuations may cause voice sounds to change - I know my cat had Hyperthyroidism. Let us know what happens @ the vet :)