Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nerve damage in cat

luskentyre
September 23rd, 2007, 05:18 PM
About 8 weeks ago my 13 year old cat (Howard) was hit by a van. He sustained a broken pelvis, a large gash on his tail and one of his front legs was paralysed.

The tail has healed and his pelvis is healing but the front leg is still pretty useless. He's able to move it from the "shoulder" but from the "elbow" down he seems to have no use of it. He holds it up as he's walking.

He does clean it and clean himself with it. Sometimes he shakes the leg. When he's on his side, stretching, that leg only moves about 50% of the other one and it's never straight out like his other leg.

The vet says that accupuncture will not help in this case as it will not regenerate the nerve damage. Is this correct? Is there anything I can do that might stimulate the nerves and help regeneration?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Love4himies
September 23rd, 2007, 06:30 PM
I have never experienced one of my cats being hit by a car. Do you know an accupuncturist that will work with a cat? If so and you can afford it, I would definitely give it a try. Bodies work in amazing ways and are always surprising doctors who have vast experience!

Radish
September 24th, 2007, 12:18 PM
My cat came home dragging/doubling over her hind leg last spring which turned out to be nerve damage (we still don't know how she did it, nothing else was damaged :rolleyes:). The options my vet gave us were wait to see if the nerves regenerated, see if she learned to walk with the leg like that, or amputate the leg. He said there was no need to rush into amputation and that we should wait a few weeks. It was amazing how quickly she learned to walk with the leg not working properly (with a day or so) and within 2 weeks, the nerves had started working again and she seemed to be okay. She still has good days and bad days but for the most part runs around like normal.

Unfortunately, you say it's been 8 weeks which I would think is past the point that the nerves might regenerate but you never know. My vet said even if the nerves hadn't come back or had only come back partly, as long as she kept the leg clean and wasn't in pain, she would be able to keep the leg. Animals are so good at adapting!

I don't think accupuncture would hurt (but I'm not a vet or an accupuncturist! :D) so why not try?

Best wishes to your kitty and good luck!

roccoisus
September 26th, 2007, 10:46 AM
With my baby Rocco it has been 15 days and he still isn't using his front leg I can't tell if his shoulder is working or not he sure gets around though he still has his cone on from his lip surgery and I think that hampers him Our vet perscribed steroids for him. He is cleaning his leg not biting it We go back Saturday to see what they say . Hope your baby heals well sounds like we have twins I will be following this thread to see what happens ((((((hugs))) to you

krdahmer
September 26th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Best wishes for both of you and your kitties!:pray::grouphug:

luskentyre
September 26th, 2007, 12:15 PM
What a wonderful response :) I'm new to this forum and I really want to thank you all so much for your kind wishes and advice.

I spoke to the vet who does accupuncture and we're going for our first session on friday. He maintains it won't help regenerate the nerve, but it might improve muscle tone - and to be honest, I'm willing to try anything to help my wee pet.

Here he is by the way.

http://www.caithnesscatsprotection.org.uk/images/howard.jpg

P.S. I really hope Rocco does ok, please keep us updated.

roccoisus
September 27th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Handsome boy you have I chuckled because it seems we have a salt and pepper thing going on here:D You will have to let me know if the accupuncture helps. I took Rocco's cone off last night he has healed well on his lip and he is in heaven with the freedom, one happy fellow! Watching him closely he seems to be able to use his shoulder which is good. I massage daily and that seems to help.I am not going to rush with amputation as long as he is not in pain or its hurting his general health I guess time will tell with that. Anyway its nice to not feel alone with this. I am so glad I found this site :cat: Continued healing prayers, good thoughts and hugs for Howard

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/chickensrus/MyBabies.jpg

luskentyre
September 29th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Well, Howard managed to sit still for about 20 minutes yesterday, whilst the vet did his accupuncture. It could have gone horribly with flying claws and needles, but he was as good as gold (probably terrified to move!).

The vet said the accupuncture should help the blood flow to the area and the muscle tone, but it's unlikely to regenerate the damaged nerve. Still, any improvement will be good. We'll probably have about 4 sessions, by which time we'll know if it's helping.

I've been trying some amateur physiotherapy, using a ping pong ball! When he's lying down I just roll the ball towards his bad leg and he takes a swipe at it. It gets him using the leg if nothing else.

Rocca and Asia are beautiful by the way :) I think Howard is probably Rocco's evil twin. I'm really pleased he's a bit happier with his new freedom. How's the leg now? Is he getting about ok?

chico2
September 29th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Beautiful kitties:lovestruck:
I have not commented on your posts,I've only read them.
Usually if a cat gets hit by a car,that's it for them:sad:
It's wonderful to read you did not just give up on your wounded kitties,like many would,and that they are doing so well:thumbs up:cat:

roccoisus
September 29th, 2007, 11:13 AM
luskentyre

What a good boy sitting still for the doctor. Rocco is getting around great. He gets a little miffed not being aloud outside but he will get over it lol Asia on the other hand has taken a dislike to Rocco and he's her son? She hisses and even swiped at him yesterday:evil: It was better this morning I think she is jealous of all the attention he is getting will have to remember to give her extra TLC too. I also do play therapy with Rocco he pounces and its like he doesn't even know his leg isn't working I definitely see that his shoulder is working now. We take him for his vet check up today
chico2 I really feel blessed that I didn't lose him :cat:
:grouphug:

luskentyre
September 29th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Beautiful kitties:lovestruck:
It's wonderful to read you did not just give up on your wounded kitties,like many would,and that they are doing so well:thumbs up:cat:

I must admit, things looked pretty bleak for Howard when I saw him after the accident. He was in shock and didn't recognise me, and they thought he was blind as well. The vet had doubts he would last the night...

The vet asked what I wanted to do and I just said "I want to give him every chance". He's my baby, what else could I say? When I got him home 3 days later, he could only move by dragging himself along the ground by his one good front leg. I did wonder if I was doing the right thing, but was prepared to persevere and give him that chance.

Today we went for a walk around the garden (with a harness, so he wouldn't stray), so I guess it's a good thing I gave him that chance.

Roccoisus - It could well be that Asia is slightly jealous, so best to give them both plenty of fusses. How did Rocco get on at the vet?

Jim Hall
September 29th, 2007, 10:39 PM
amazing you still going to the acupucture?

roccoisus
September 30th, 2007, 11:36 AM
luskentyre :cat:
Rocco did well at the vet his lip is all better they are still hopeful that time may heal him and as long as his leg is warm and he isn;t hurting it or hurting from it we will just hold off on the amputation I need to get a harness he would love a walk in the garden Hope Howard continues to heal I know with Rocco when he dragged himself home he looked at me like FIX me there was no way I was going to let him down my blued eyed baby boy lol Let us know how the accupuncture is coming along ((((((hugs)))))

NoahGrey
September 30th, 2007, 12:33 PM
PLEASE keep cats strickly INDOORS!!!!! I am happy to hear that your cat is doing well.

ACO22

roccoisus
October 1st, 2007, 09:19 AM
ACO22
No fresh air what so ever? We are planning to build a cat run for next spring so that the cats can bask in the sun like they like to do Thay will have access to it threw a basement window......not a good idea?

luskentyre
Hows Howard doing today?

Love4himies
October 1st, 2007, 10:53 AM
I walk my kitties in my backyard, one is on a harness because he is a runner and the other just follows me, they are so happy when they are outside, I just couldn't keep them as indoor only.

chico2
October 1st, 2007, 03:36 PM
Same with me,today we were outside for 4 hours(we're retired)raking leaves etc and the cats love it.
But of course I would NEVER let them out on their own.

luskentyre
October 1st, 2007, 05:03 PM
amazing you still going to the acupucture?

Hi Jim - yup we have another 3 or so sessions to go. Next one is on friday.

Roccoisus - I'm so glad to hear that Rocco is doing well. I hope Asia is being a bit kinder to him now!

Howard is doing well thanks, although his bad paw is still limp. He does use that paw to bat the ping pong ball with, so we play with that to keep him using it.

Love4himies
October 2nd, 2007, 07:02 AM
Glad to hear Howard is doing well. Are you seeing any improvements from the acupuncture yet?

luskentyre
October 2nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
Nothing yet, although he does seem to be able to stretch his bad leg a bit more when he's lying down. That could be the ping pong practice though!

He managed to catch a mouse that got into the house this morning - so I'd definately say he was improving!

roccoisus
October 3rd, 2007, 09:22 AM
wow Howard sounds like he is doing better I am so glad :thumbs up Asia and Rocco are getting along now were even sleeping on the same bed :D

chico2
October 3rd, 2007, 03:32 PM
I think Asia just did not like the way he smelled coming from the vet,the same thing happens with my three,whenever one has been to the vet.

roccoisus
October 5th, 2007, 10:15 AM
luskentyre
Hows Howard ? Rocco is doing good I am sure he will never be 100% but he is happy and content and getting used to be a inside only kitty

chico2
I am sure you are right dh was home yesterday all day because of rain and they got along wonderfully :D

luskentyre
October 9th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Hi Roccoisus - Howard is doing "ok" - he zooms around the living room after his ping pong ball, but there's no real improvement with his front leg :cry:

He's desperate to get out, and isn't really taking to the harness. He was a feral kitten and I'm not sure he'll ever adapt to being an indoor puss. His second acupunture session was fine - two more to go. The vet says that, if there's no improvement and he has to have the leg off then he'll probably cope better than he's doing now.

I just really, really wish there was something I could do to save his leg...

roccoisus
October 10th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Hi luskentyre Glad Howard is doing ok sorry there isn't any impovement in his leg yet though :cry: Rocco is about the same as Howard except he seems to be able to use his leg from the elbow up now elbow down nothing. He is really very good about the indoor thing haven't tried a harness yet maybe next spring. He zooms around too. My vet said I wouldn't have to have his leg off unless it got cold to the touch or he was hurting it or was in pain from it. So I just keep a close eye and hope for the best.I still massage daily he uses me as a hammock lol I gave him lots of window seats . I'll :pray: that the acupunture does help (((((((((hugs)))))))))

Love4himies
October 10th, 2007, 11:52 AM
He's desperate to get out, and isn't really taking to the harness. He was a feral kitten and I'm not sure he'll ever adapt to being an indoor puss.

I just really, really wish there was something I could do to save his leg...

He will eventually get used to the harness, persistance and patience is key. Cats do like the stimulation of the outside world and fresh air, I think he will appreciate being outside for bits of time even on the harness.

:pray: accupunture will help.

tycats
October 10th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Hi Guys,

I was very interested to find your posts as I am going through a similar thing with my little Siamese Thai. She broke her femur(thigh bone) in her back leg last May and it was a pretty bad fracture which was repaired with a pin and a wire wrap. Everything as far as the fracture is concerned healed just fine and the pin was removed about 6 weeks after the fracture. We then found that the paw had no feeling and was knuckled under when she walked. The vet thought that the pin had caused some irritation or damage to the sciatic nerve. They thought that within a time frame of about 8 weeks that it should resolve. However, after 8 weeks there was no change and her paw had frozen so that it would not bend for the toes to be placed on the ground in a normal position (they only bent under). We then decided that maybe the wire which is usually left in place should come out, as that may be the cause of the irrritation problem. So Thai had another surgery to take out the wire. We are about 5 weeks out from that surgery and she is doing just fine as far as running around and playing (she runs as fast as ever). Unfortunately, the paw is still bent under when she walks. She originally had feeling down as far as her hock. Now I have the idea that the feeling is starting to creep down towards the paw. I hope so. I pinch her toes every so often to see if she pulls away and sometime she does and sometimes not. We are still doing stretching and bicycling exercises with her leg and trying to force those frozen toes to bend up. She has worn off all her fur from walking on the back of her paw, but the skin has thickened and calloused so there is no damage to the skin and flesh. She is not self mutilating either.I do believe that she is starting to regain feeling and that the nerves can regrow as long as the nerve sheath is intact so that the nerves can grow back together. I think that it will be a long, long process as they grow very slowly. I hope that your kitties are doing well, and don't give up hope that they will recover. Please post again and let me know how things are progressing. I think that the main thing that helps is doing therapy with the leg and paw so that the muscles and tendons do not atrophy to the point of no return.

Best wishes to you both.
Thai's Mom

roccoisus
October 11th, 2007, 10:08 AM
tycats
Hi and welcome to our little group of gimpy cats :cat: lol I will never give up hope and even if Rocco must have his leg removed and after reading many heart warming stories of kitties who have, he will be just fine. The back leg must be very tough! Rocco drags his paw a bit and it gets dirty but still has all his furr It seems if he is tired he drags it more when he wants something like his treats or out the door ( which is a no no and he is getting used to the idea) he keeps it off the floor.I work with him daily massage, movement, play ect and I think its helping if anything he's getting his TLC Not a lot in here to intertain him like the outside world did. I've made numerous window seats for him and that seems to help at least he can watch birds ect. I also leave the TV on when I have to go to work He doesn't seem to go so stir crazy that way. You'll have to keep us updated on your babyThai. I feel a kinship here.:) Its just nice to talk to someone who is going through some of the same things

luskentyre:
How are you holding up ?Hows Howard holding up? Sending contiued :pray: for him :grouphug:

luskentyre
October 11th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks everyone - for your continued support and hope.

Tycats - I really hope that Thai continues to improve. I think you're right when you say it's important to keep the limb exercised. I can't imagine doing bicycling exercise with Howard though!

Roccoisus - Sounds like Rocco is getting some wonderful care and attention there! Have you asked about acupuncture?

Love4himies - Aye, I'll persist with the harness. I had him out the other night and he keeps heading underneath the car - you'd have thought he'd steer clear of the underside of vehicles now!

Howard has his third acupunture session tomorrow. I've noticed that there's a thin pin-like object moving under the fur on the shoulder of his bad leg. Will ask the vet about it tomorrow. Forgot to mention that the x-rays showed some arthitis in the damaged leg as well - I'm not sure if that is making matters worse at all.

Thanks everyone, for making this Scottish interloper welcome on your forum, and for the moral support. :grouphug:

tycats
October 11th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Hi Everyone,

It's great to have this site where we can compare notes on how our "babies" are progressing. I must say that Thai's problems don't seem too bad compared to some of you. My vet said that she won't need to have her leg amputated unless she starts to self-mutilate or her paw gets too abraded and the skin gets constantly infected. When she walks she doesn't drag her foot she walks normally on it but it is just folded under when she puts her foot down. When we do our excercises I find that the best way is to sit with her held like a baby on her back, and then pull her back leg out straight and push up her toes. It sounds like she would be resistant but she actually seem to take it OK she seems to have accepted it now. Her main problem seems to be the atrophy of the tendons especially in her toes. I really do think that feeling is starting to return. She will quite often pick up her leg and shake it as though she is having a weird feeling in it. Is anyone else noticing their cats doing a similar thing. I think that the acupuncture idea is very good and even though vet's will tell you that it won't regenerate nerves, I think that there is more to acupunture than most people realise. So I think that it is well worth trying and I hope that Howard gets some good results from it.

If I can figure out how to post a photo on this page of Thai I will do that. If not maybe some of you computer whiz people can tell me how you did it.

I will be checking back soon to hear how everybody is doing. The Attached photo is of Thai after her last surgery complete with "lampshade"

Best wishes to you all,
Thai's Mom

chico2
October 12th, 2007, 06:35 AM
This I think is the only time we've had 3 cats with damaged limbs,I've not commentent since I know nothing about this.
I read everything and it's really interesting and hopefully all 3 cats will one day run around on all 4 or even if it has to be 3 legs,I am sure they'll do great with such loving owners:cat:

roccoisus
October 12th, 2007, 07:53 AM
oooooooh my gosh Thai is beautiful thanks for sharing her picture :lovestruck:
Last night when I came home from work I was giving Rocco some lovin I had him over my shoulder he likes to hang over any way when I put him down me moved his leg in a circle he hasn't done that before This makes me believe that the nerve sheath is intact and is just taking its sweet time healing he seems to be putting more and more weight on that paw I will just continue to massage and do what I have been doing :) I am feeling good about his future
luskentyre: I haven't asked about acupuncture sounds like something worth looking into though continued :pray: and well wishes for Howard

chico2: I love your positive input :grouphug:

Love4himies: I agree with the fresh air thing and will join you with continued :pray: that the acupuncture works for Howard :highfive:

tycats
October 12th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Hi Everyone,

I thought that you all might be interested in a post from another website which I can give you if you would like it. The whole thread concerned the same topic as this one - Nerve damage to paw or leg from trauma. One of the replies was from a vet and his information I thought was very useful and gave some hope to those of us who have this problem with our pets. I will copy it onto this page. Let me know if you would like a link to the whole forum.

Hope that you will find this useful. I seem to have copied a lot more of the forum than I intended, but it all might be useful to you.
Thai's Mom

Nerve damage is frustrating (I have personal experience: three years ago I managed to amputate three fingers on my right hand in an industrial fan; fortunately the fingers were re-attached, but nerve damage is still present. I am still able to perform surgical procedures, etc., however, a sensory deficit is still present, but improving.)

If the nerve sheath and nerve were lacerated or torn, then it is imperative for the sheath to be repaired. The nerve sheath acts as a conduit and insulator for the nerve to travel within. If the sheath and nerve are not continous any longer, then the nerve simply floats and the ends can not find each other to reattach. If the free ends of the nerve sheath are brought together (via microsurgery), then the nerve has a chance to knit.

Now for the frustrating part: nerve cells have very long roots/tendrils, and it takes a very long time for the nerve root to grow back, approx. 1mm per day. These nerve roots/tendrils are rather long--even up to 2-3 feet (obviously not in your small dog, but you get the idea).

The area that was cut/lacerated/damaged that is farthest away from the main body of the nerve cell (which is closer to the spinal cord) will die. Only time will allow the regrowth of the nerve root/tendril to the area of innervation (the target muscle area/etc. where the nerve leaves its effect), and it is essential for this nerve to have a pathway of regrowth--the previously mentioned nerve sheath. Unfortunately, there are some cases where the nerve has been irreparibly damaged; in these cases nerve transplant has been attempted.

I don't have high hopes for holistic treatments because they can not mend a sheath. It is entirely possible that the nerve sheath is still intact in your dog, then it simply time before the nerve heals. If you use holistic/alternative treatments, and the nerve knits, then one may have the impression that these alternative treatments did the healing, when instead it would have occured anyway.

If you feel better using alternatives, then go ahead, but make certain nothing toxic to nerve tissue is used. Sometimes doing nothing is the better path, and letting the body heal itself.

As to the self-mutilation, there will be strange sensations from the limb, even phantom pain (where the mind feels pain from an area that really doesn't have nerve supply. The new signal issues from the damaged site (this can be a long distance from its original normal end point) and is interpreted by the brain as coming from the original undamaged site, much as an amputee who insists that he can still feel a missing limb. The nerve registers still on the brain, but the original area is non-existent.

Occasionally drugs such as narcotics are used to address this, sometimes local nerve blocks, sometimes mild electrical current to confuse the brain by sending another nerve signal, sometimes selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (Prozac, etc.). In people, bio-feedback, etc. seems helpful.

You may need to keep the collar on your little guy for 3-6 months during the
healing phase.

Take-home message: need to assess if the nerve sheath is intact (sounds like it is), and need to control self-mutilation, need to be patient and constantly reasses the little fellow. Physical therapy will be an important component of care, so that muscle atrophy does not occur, and to maintain some sense of well-being. Hope this helps.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
petdr
View Public Profile
Visit petdr's homepage!
Find all posts by petdr
Add petdr to Your Buddy List
#20 Report Post
Old April 19th, 2005, 12:48 AM

Maybe nerve damage from dog shoe?
My dog Bear is 11 yrs old, 80 pound lab/shep mix. Back legs have been getting weak. I tried a set of dog shoes on hind legs so that his feet won't slip from under him on the hardwood floor. I thought I had gotten him used to the shoes but was wrong. After a day at work I came home and he'd chewed one shoe off and had the other pulled down tight past the ankle and pinching those 4 long skinny bones that go to his toes. He must have been working on the 20" velcro strap all day long. But because it wraps around so many times and the company recommends putting it on real tight, he couldn't get it off his foot. I did so immediately and noticed his foot was pretty swollen.

He limped on it then. It's been a couple weeks and he is still favoring the other leg. I've also noticed him licking it lately. As though he didn't have enough problems with his hind end being so weak. I feel horrible about trying those stupid shoes. He is walking slower than ever now.

Can a vet check for nerve damage? Treat it? I don't know what I should do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What is the likelyhood that I've caused him some permanent damage?
marc alex
View Public Profile
Send a private message to marc alex
Find all posts by marc alex
Add marc alex to Your Buddy List
Old April 19th, 2005, 03:56 AM
badger
This message has been deleted by badger.
#21 Report Post
Old April 19th, 2005, 10:08 AM

Send a message via MSN to Prin
I would ask the vet about the underlying problem too. Could be spinal cord damage or even Wobbler's disease. I don't know how a vet would check for nerve damage, but I don't know who else would be able to do it, so it's worth a try.
Prin
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Prin
Find all posts by Prin
Add Prin to Your Buddy List
Prin's Arcade Awards
Asteroids
Breakout
#22 Report Post
Old December 31st, 2005, 01:27 PM

Matt, I am interested in what happens to Charlie as my dog, Fancy may have the same problem. She jumped out of our truck while we were driving down the highway and is badly injured. She is in the hospital now and will see the neurologist tomorrow morning. Her front paw was badly cut and since she wants to curl it back, the vet is worried about nerve damage. He did mention fusion so that the paw is always in the right position, and she can walk, but will not be able to run. I'm hoping that something can be done other than amputation. She weighs 125 pounds and I'm afraid that if they amputate her front leg she will be falling forward all the time.

Good luck with Charlie and keep posting to let us know how he does.

Terre
Terre
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Terre
Find all posts by Terre
Add Terre to Your Buddy List
#23 Report Post
Old December 31st, 2005, 04:53 PM

Send a message via MSN to Prin
Sorry but he hasn't been back since Dec 2004, so I don't think you'll get your update.:(
Prin
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Prin
Find all posts by Prin
Add Prin to Your Buddy List
Prin's Arcade Awards
Asteroids
Breakout
#24 Report Post
Old December 31st, 2005, 05:41 PM

nerve damage in paw
Hi Matt, have you tried any physio in warm water? Had a foster westie-mix years ago who was recovering from surgery after patella (knee) damage from being kicked by his previous owner who didn't seek immediate medical attention so by the time he underwent surgery he'd been favouring it for over a month. When he arrived would just tuck up the leg close to the body, refused to use it, so 2-3 times a day (vet's recommendation) I would fill up the bath with warm water and make him do laps. I started to notice after the 5th day of therapy the leg was more flexible and he wasn't holding it so close to his body plus in his sleep he started to extend it very gradually. Its alot of effort and you'll have a soggy dog everyday for a while but it might be a remedy as he'll have to flex and move the paw while swimming. Fortunately for me the weather turned warm and I could take him into the lake and he'd dog-paddle in circles around me. His water physio lasted about 1 month and 1/2 before he started really using the leg. The poor guy had to wear a cone during this time as he'd also chew at the surgery site. Good Luck.
t.pettet
View Public Profile
Send a private message to t.pettet
Find all posts by t.pettet
Add t.pettet to Your Buddy List
#25 Report Post
Old October 30th, 2006, 02:21 PM

Unhappy Progress with damaged paw?
My dog Lola was hit by a car last week and has a similar problem with her paw- the vet says there is nerve damage and that we may have to amputate it.

I wondered if your dog recovered, and if you knew of any physical therapy or other proactive things we could do to help Lola regain the use of her paw.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks.
LolaHess
View Public Profile
Send a private message to LolaHess
Find all posts by LolaHess
Add LolaHess to Your Buddy List
#26 Report Post
Old October 30th, 2006, 03:15 PM

just a shot in the dark, but you might want the dog to see a chryo, my min pin was parillzed and it was----- the chryo that made a world of differance good luck brenda and the 4 pins.
the gang
View Public Profile
Send a private message to the gang
Find all posts by the gang
Add the gang to Your Buddy List
#27 Report Post
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:41 PM

Nerve damage paw
I to have a dog with a recent car accident that has a nerve damaged front paw. Can you tell me about your boot you have for him...

I bought one form handicapp pets... It helps him what, and I massage his leg and toes.. When he walks with out it he drags it and folds up in under him...
His shoulder is working, he has no feeling in the paw itself,,, this happen a week ago. Our vet send watch and wait but he is figuring to amputate as well.

Let me know what you have learned.
Oddie is a 8 month old golden retriever...
thanks for your help and all of that of others on this topic
dinoclassic56
View Public Profile
Send a private message to dinoclassic56
Find all posts by dinoclassic56
Add dinoclassic56 to Your Buddy List

roccoisus
October 13th, 2007, 10:08 AM
tycats: I have read this post before can't remember where but I googled nerve damage and saw it this is what is giving me hope thanks for sharing it with others who might not have seen it :grouphug:

luskentyre
October 14th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks tycats. I wonder now if microsurgery might be an option, to repair the nerve sheath - but then the vet never suggested it...

By the way, Thai is a lovely puss :) - how's she doing now?

Roccoisus - How is Rocco doing?

Howard is getting very active around the house - flying around the living room in pursuit of his ping pong balls! One of these days I'll video him and include a link if you like?

roccoisus
October 15th, 2007, 09:10 AM
luskentyre: I can picture Howard flying around after pingpong balls and would love to look at a video lol Rocco is doing great you can really see him moving his leg now he still won't put weight on his foot though. When I massage him he feels it now where he didn't before things are looking up for Rocco :thumbs up
Continued :pray: and good thoughts for everyone elses fur babies :cat::lovestruck:

chico2
October 15th, 2007, 11:35 AM
We definetly want to see Howards video:thumbs up

luskentyre
October 18th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I'll see what I can rustle up over the weekend!

kiara
October 18th, 2007, 07:14 PM
We are so sorry about your poor senior kitty! We are not vets, but as far as I know nerve damage is permanent. Be careful of people who promise "miracle" cures and take your money. I think your vet is right and he after all, studied for several years. Let us know how your cat is doing.

roccoisus
October 19th, 2007, 10:03 AM
luskentyre

looking forward to it :goodvibes:

kiara
October 19th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I think that nerve damage is permanent. Your vet is right. Don't spend your money on empty promises.

luskentyre
October 21st, 2007, 04:25 PM
Well, as promised, here is some footage of Howard and his ping pong ball. He wasn't as manic as he sometimes is (and I apologise now for the carpet...), but you get the general idea!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMJyxUzD1Ig

growler~GateKeeper
October 21st, 2007, 06:14 PM
Howard looks like he's doing pretty good on those legs - great way to exercise him too :thumbs up he's very cute playing with his ball :cloud9:

Love4himies
October 22nd, 2007, 06:35 AM
He is fast and accurate! What a great way to give him exercise and keep him stimulated.

roccoisus
October 22nd, 2007, 08:56 AM
oh my that was so fun to watch :D:laughing: Howard looks like he is really enjoying his ping pong ball. Rocco's favorite play things since his accident are a stick with a string on the end of it a red sqeaky mouse and his stuffed ghosty which he beats up and then uses it as a pillow for his cats naps. Thanks for sharing Howards video How is the acupunture going and what is your vet saying about Howard having to have his leg removed he sure seems to be getting around good. Continued good thoughts and :pray: s for Howard

luskentyre
October 22nd, 2007, 04:35 PM
Aye, he's not doing so bad for an old-timer - especially since it wasn't that long ago he couldn't walk.

The acupunture is finished now (4 sessions) and I can't really see an improvement to be honest. We see the vet again in 2 weeks and I think I'll take the video along to show him (since he just sits there like a lump when he's at the vets).

I hate the thought of him having a leg amputated - especially since he's getting some use of it.

P.S. Yesterday I caught him stuck halfway up a ladder! :frustrated:

roccoisus
October 23rd, 2007, 09:59 AM
P.S. Yesterday I caught him stuck halfway up a ladder! :frustrated: lol Sounds so much like Rocco he doesn't seem to think he has a problem :eek: Hope after seeing the video that your vet decides his bad leg won't need to be removed :pray:

I finally got Rocco a harness he was not impressed at first but is a real trooper and is getting used to the idea that outside=harness with me on the other end lol

luskentyre
October 23rd, 2007, 06:19 PM
I'm glad Rocco is getting used to the harness. It's funny, the instructions on mine says something like "allows you to easily allow you to guide your cat in the direction you want" - yeah right!

We had a walk around the house at the weekend and it took an hour and a half!

roccoisus
October 24th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I'm glad Rocco is getting used to the harness. It's funny, the instructions on mine says something like "allows you to easily allow you to guide your cat in the direction you want" - yeah right!

We had a walk around the house at the weekend and it took an hour and a half!

lol lol The first time I put it on Rocco he just plopped over and laid there :laughing: Now he knows he can go smell the outside air if he has it on. The one I bought is a soft one its kind of like a little jacket it will most likely be to warm in the summer. This morning when we were lying in bed before we got up I had his bad paw in my hand and I could feel it twitching still more hope here :thumbs up Continued good thoughts and :pray:s for Howard

luskentyre
October 24th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Well if Rocco is getting more feeling in his bad paw, that's hopeful. Did you manage to ask about acupuncture?

Is there any claw movement at all? Howards claws are permanently extended on his paw, which meant he would occasionally get the paw caught on something (usually me). However, the vet clipped his claws last time so that's not happening any longer.

roccoisus
October 25th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Well if Rocco is getting more feeling in his bad paw, that's hopeful. Did you manage to ask about acupuncture?

Is there any claw movement at all? Howards claws are permanently extended on his paw, which meant he would occasionally get the paw caught on something (usually me). However, the vet clipped his claws last time so that's not happening any longer.

Rocco's claws are in not out. Theres no movement but his paw is straight now and he will put weight on it if he is on a bed or something soft I am very hopeful only time will tell I guess. I did not check into acupuncture I don't even know if we have anything like that here in my home town. Shoud look around I guess. Will talk to our vet again too maybe he will have some input on that. Rocco's good paw claws snag things at times I guess he can't use a tree to file them now will see if the vet will teach me how to trim them I know you have to be very careful I do already own a steptic stick <sp> because I have a budgie and if they get cut they can bleed out easy. Do you have other pets or is Howard your only child

luskentyre
October 26th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Well the fact that Rocco is putting weight on his bad paw at all, has got to be a good sign:thumbs up

No, Howard is an only child. I did get a kitten a few years ago but Howard kept beating it up. There was no sign of things improving so unfortunately the kitten was rehomed. Howard just can't stand other cats.

Mind you, it's probably just as well. I run the website for our local Cats Protection branch and have to go around taking pictures of all the cats we have for homing. If Howard wasn't so terratorial I'd probably have a houseful by now!

Is Rocco used to his harness now? How often does he want out?

roccoisus
October 29th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Well the fact that Rocco is putting weight on his bad paw at all, has got to be a good sign:thumbs up

No, Howard is an only child. I did get a kitten a few years ago but Howard kept beating it up. There was no sign of things improving so unfortunately the kitten was rehomed. Howard just can't stand other cats.

Mind you, it's probably just as well. I run the website for our local Cats Protection branch and have to go around taking pictures of all the cats we have for homing. If Howard wasn't so terratorial I'd probably have a houseful by now!

Is Rocco used to his harness now? How often does he want out?
He doesn't seem to mind the harness at all I do have a picture just have to get it on my computer which is kind of a pain because when my power supply blew it fried my usb's so I have to download to my dh computer and email them to me . We go out in the morning before work and then again when I get home from work. He helped me put up the Halloween decorations yesterday lol Have you taken Howard outside yet? Hope Howard is doing ok

luskentyre
October 30th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Oh yes, we're outside at least once every night during the week and several times over the weekend (he would like it more often...). He's taken to his harness amazingly well.

I can only imagine how Rocco helped you put up your decorations :laughing:

chico2
October 31st, 2007, 07:13 AM
Howard looks great in the video and it sounds like Rocco is doing much better too,great news:thumbs up

roccoisus
October 31st, 2007, 10:06 AM
Thats wonderful that Howard has taken to the harness it is amazing what our fur babies will put up with just to go outside lol

luskentyre
November 2nd, 2007, 08:02 PM
We went to see the vet this morning and he's very pleased with how Howard is doing. His muscle tone is quite good in that leg and I showed him the video to see how he does use that leg. The vet says there's certainly no need to amputate the leg (at the moment), since it's not a hindrance and he does get some use of it - so that's good!

About half an hour after we got home I realised Howard wasn't about. I checked every room and under the beds etc. No sign... Then I looked out the window and saw him at the end of the field next to the house! How he got out I don't know. The back door was shut and the cat flap only opens inwards, so somehow he managed to pull it in!!

Anyway, I took him in (much to his annoyance), but I can see I'm going to have to keep even more of an eye on him.

How are Rocco and Thai doing?

Jim Hall
November 3rd, 2007, 08:12 AM
an escape artist eh?

glad to hear he's going to remain a four legger I assume that as long as circulation and muscle tone continue you wouldn have to amputate?

roccoisus
November 4th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I am so glad the vet changed his her mind about removing Howards leg great news :thumbs up I finally got some pictures downloaded Heres Rocco with his harness on I am going to put other pictures in the photo thread Asia being a bad bad girl and a a few more of Rocco
Sounds like you are going to have to put a beeper on Howard the escape artist lol Rocco tries but so far has not suceeded lol
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/chickensrus/IM000453.jpg

chico2
November 4th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Roccoisus,is he ever pretty,looks like my Vinnie except Vinnie has one blue and one yellow eye..:cat:

roccoisus
November 14th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Just bumping this up . Hows Howard doing now? Rocco hasn't changed since I wrote in here last. Thanks for the compliment chico2 Your Vinnie and my Rocco are very handsome boys:lovestruck:

luskentyre
November 22nd, 2007, 05:22 PM
Hello everyone! Sorry for not posting in while - been a bit busy here with work.

Howard is doing ok. His energy and agility continue to amaze me really. That video didn't really do him justice - will try to put a better one together sometime.

Howard escaped again... Last weekend I was out for several hours and when I got home I couldn't find him anywhere. It was dark outside and pouring with rain and my attempts to find him didn't meet with any success. Then he appears through the catflap an hour later, soaked but otherwise fine. Somehow, when I was out, he'd opened the door to the utility room and pulled open the catflap (the "out" is locked, but the "in" is open). I think I'm going to have to rename him "Houdini".

How's Rocco now - is he putting any weight on his bad leg?

roccoisus
November 25th, 2007, 08:43 AM
(((((luskentyre))))))) Glad Howard came home safe and sound besides being wet that is. Howard Houdini is a great name lol:D Rocco is not putting weight on his leg, poor guy isn't happy with the inside rule, he seems to be really bored. We took him for a car ride yesterday at first he was like oh NO the vets lol after he figured out he wasn't going to the vets he was quite happy. I was just looking at an add for a pet fence. We have to figure something out before next spring . Its called Purr-fect Fence! its expensive but gave me some good ideas check it out if you want to. I won't put the address up but all you have to do is google it or message me and I will send you the link.Good to hear from you again keep in touch :grouphug:

Winston
November 25th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Try googling outdoor cat enclosure..Lots of cook stuff!

Cindy

luskentyre
December 2nd, 2007, 05:37 PM
Well, I've decided to give Howard his freedom back, and he's allowed out on his own again (as long as I'm at home). I have to say that he's a much happier cat, and he doesn't stay out for long.

I still agonise whenever I let him out though :pray:

Here he is earlier on today:

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p288/luskentyre/howard_021207.jpg

tycats
December 3rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
Hi again guys,

I thought I would update you on what is happening with Thai lately. It's pretty good news. The feeling in her leg has now reached all the way down to the lower parts of her paw. If I pinch between the pads of her paw, she now swishes her tail and then pulls the leg away. As I have mentioned she walks with that paw folded under so that the top of the paw has calloused over. The toes will not bend up any more for her to put the foot down in a normal position they will only bend under. I try and flex those toes to bend up but so far they seem just stiff and immovable ( I obviously need to work more on that). For those of you who are wondering how long this regeneration of nerves has been, Thai broke her leg at the beginning of May and suffered the damage to the nerve during the first week. We think maybe from the surgical pin irritation. So this has been a long recuperation. She runs around very well and uses the leg normally - apart from the folded over paw. The muscle in her thigh which had atrophied to the point of her thigh just being a bag of empty skin, has now reformed and is now almost the same size as her other leg. I hope that this gives you all hope that the nerves can regenerate and repair but it is a long slow process. I have an appointment at the vets on Thursday and I think they will be very happy to see the progress. It sounds like all your pets are doing well and adapting to whatever handicaps they have. Don't give up and unless there is no alternative don't consider amputation, just be patient.

Very best wishes to you all.
Thai and her Mom:thumbs up

luskentyre
December 4th, 2007, 04:03 PM
That's wonderful news about Thai :thumbs up I really hope she continues to improve, to the point where she can put weight on that leg again. Is there any claw movement in that leg?

How is she coping on three legs? I caught Howard up a ladder again yesterday:yell:

It obviously is a long healing process where nerves are concerned. I don't want to get my hopes up where Howard is concerned, but it is encouraging and you must keep us up to date with Thai's progress.

roccoisus
December 6th, 2007, 12:13 PM
wow its good to read from you both Rocco's leg hasn't improved at all but he gets around just fine he is still house bound unless we take him out I am so afraid that he will climb somewhere thats to dangerous like the chicken coupe wire He seems to be losing his muscle tone but moves his leg not his paw though and its bent under also. I will just keep loving him and massaging ect even if it never helps him he loves it lol Keep in touch :grouphug:
Howard looks so happy and handsome in his picture :lovestruck:

tycats
December 8th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thai had a vet visit on Thursday for her shots and also a check up on the leg progress. The Vet who did her surgeries saw her and was very pleased with the nerve repair so far. I think I mentioned in my last post that she now has feeling all the way down to between her toes but not yet into her toes. At one time she had no feeling below the hock joint. She does actually put all her weight on that leg when she walks or runs, she just has the paw folded under all the time. Apparently, when there is no feeling the brain doesn't realize that the paw is not placed correctly. It's the same as when your foot goes to sleep and you stand up and your ankle collapses. My vet thought that with the progress she has made so far, there is a good possibility that the nerve feeling will gradually return into the toes too. This has been a long, long process. Thai first experienced the nerve damage in the first week of May so this repair has taken about 7 months and is still in progress. So don't give up on your babies the body can do wonderful things given enough time and care.
Hope that this gives you all some encouragement. :thumbs up:thumbs up

Best wishes to you,
Thai and her Mommy

luskentyre
December 14th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Thank you so much for the updates on Rocco and Thai.

Rocco sounds very like Howard in terms of the extent of the nerve damage. His muscle tone was very poor as well, but it has improved - though whether that's the acupuncture or the increased mobility, I'm not sure. I'm not sure if you mentioned what happened to Rocco - was it a road accident as well? They do adapt fantastically don't they? I'm sure Rocco is loving the massages and extra fusses!

Thai's progress is very encouraging - you must be delighted :thumbs up Here's hoping that she regains the feeling in her toes as well - sounds like it's just a matter of time.

Howard is much the same - he's trying to do all the things he used to, including stretching up on a fencepost to sharpen his claws (although only one paw is actually doing it). He does worry me when I'm in the bath though, as I'm scared he'll try and jump up on the edge like he used to - that could be bad news, for both of us!

Would love to see more pics of the patients! They're both very lucky indeed to have such caring owners :-)

chico2
December 14th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I've been reading all the posts but don't have much to comment about,however I am glad all three kitties are on the mend:thumbs up

luskentyre
December 15th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Thanks Chico2 - it's been a great support to hear everyones best wishes on here.

roccoisus
January 1st, 2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks Chico2 - it's been a great support to hear everyones best wishes on here.

:lovestruck: Best wishes to Howard in 2008 :lovestruck: Adding all other furbabies too:cloud9:

luskentyre
January 2nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks Roccoisus. Wishing everyone here and their furry friends the very best for 2008! :thumbs up

roccoisus
January 19th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Well Rocco can move his paw now its still bent but it moves and his claws knead I am so pleased I am continuing with massage :D Hope Howard andThai are both doing good :fingerscr

tycats
January 20th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Hi Roccosius, That's wonderful that Rocco is now moving his paw and kneading. How long has it been since the accident? What have you been doing to help bring back the function of the paw? I am still working with Thai - she hates the therapy because it stretches those tendons which have atrophied and I think it is uncomfortable for her when I pull those toes. They are still turned under and are stiff but she does have feeling in the paw so it is just a matter of me really working on that back paw so that she is able to put it down in the correct position. She has done her part and her body has repaired that nerve. I must really concentrate on what I can do to help bring back the function which is getting that foot to flex properly.

Wonderful news for Rocco

Diane and Thai:thumbs up:thumbs up

roccoisus
January 20th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Hi Tycats All I really have been doing is massaging and playing I do stretches which he doesn't seem to mind his paw aka hand is loose its from the elbow down that is stiff me moves his shoulder has been doing that for some time now, now he moves his paw and does the claw in and out with it so I know his nerve is there. I really never thought I would see any improvement Thanks to you that you gave me such good news about Thai's time frame and that it had been so long before any improvement. Rocco was (we think) hit by a car back in September 9/11 to be exact Nothing was broken but they said his nerve may be damaged with not a good outcome amputation. They said just have to wait and see. Sure am glad I decided not to just go ahead with the amputation. I don't know if he will ever be 100% but at least he has improved and thats something. :thumbs up

luskentyre
January 20th, 2008, 05:50 PM
What lucky cats both Rocco and Thai are to have such dedicated and loving owners! I'm so happy that Rocco has feeling back in his paw and is able to knead his claws again - that is wonderful news!

Thai sounds good as well, and I really hope that with more work she'll get more use of that paw. Fingers and paws crossed!

Howard is much the same really. He's been chewing at his paw at the "elbow" and it's looking a bit raw there now. I really hope he doesn't do any damage. When I think back to how badly he was hurt after the accident, I'm just glad he survived and is able to walk again.

Please keep us updated on both puss's progress. It is so nice to hear how they're getting on.

roccoisus
January 21st, 2008, 09:02 AM
Howard is chewing :sad: I will be :pray:ing that its just because he is getting feeling back :grouphug: hugs to you and Howard:cat:

Catb-lu
January 29th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I posted this message on the thread prior to this one, but this one looks more promising, so pardon the repost.

Three weeks ago, our extremely large ginger cat (DeSoto) lost the use of his back left leg due to anesthesia during a teeth cleaning. He is on some medication normally used for CNS problems but vet said he read some success has been had with it with PNS problems in cats.

The biggest problem is that he is a gentle giant. He's very sensitive under normal circumstances. When the nerve pulses in his leg, he yowls and howls and threatens anything in view. He hasn't hurt anyone yet, but we believe him!! These incidences come on without any warning, as you know if you've ever had damaged nerves regenerate.

We are supposed to be doing physical therapy with the leg, but that's a pretty dangerous proposition.

Has anyone else had this experience? Any suggestions?

Also, our "smaller large" ginger cat (Max) has decided to attack him while he's down, so we are having to keep them separated when both of us aren't home. I'm going to get some Feliway tomorrow to see if that helps. We've used it a couple of times before in other situations.

I'd appreciate any advice.

roccoisus
February 1st, 2008, 10:06 AM
Hi Catb-lu teeth cleaning how sad and scary I don't really have any advice Rocco doesn't seem to be having any pain as his leg heals. He enjoys his massages and now has taken to joining me on my massage mat that I got for Christmas it viberates and he just loves it. His elbow is still rigid but his shoulder now works as well as his paw we just work on him gentley every day.When we brought Rocco home from the vet Asia his mom would attack him a poster told me to rub a towel on one and then the other so the smell of the vet wouldn't be there anymore I also brushed them with the same brush and everything is ok now Thank goodness This is them now
Rocco white Asia patterened lol
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/chickensrus/Managersconference001.jpg

I hope the meds work for you ((((((hugs)))) Keep in touch

chico2
February 1st, 2008, 03:48 PM
I was going to say the same as Luskentyre,I don't post here,because I have no experience with what your cats suffer,no advuce to give.
But kudos to you for not giving up on your kitties:thumbs up
Reading about the ansthesia and teethcleaning and the affect on Catb-lus cat,makes me a little leery to have my Rockys teeth cleaned next month,he is 12 and has Hyper-Thyroidism.
I've never heard of this happening before:confused:

By the way,Roccoisus,your kitties are beautiful,which one is Rocco??

luskentyre
February 1st, 2008, 07:07 PM
Hi Catb-lu - I'm so sorry to hear about DeSoto. You just don't expect anything like that to happen.

Does he put any weight on his bad leg? Howard is very sensitive about having his legs touched so any physical therapy is out of the question - but I do find that playing seems to help (a ping pong ball!) as I can often get him to move his bad leg with a well-aimed ball :laughing:

I know it's maybe harder with a back leg but it might be worth trying. Please let us know how he's getting on.

roccoisus
February 2nd, 2008, 08:48 AM
I was going to say the same as Luskentyre,I don't post here,because I have no experience with what your cats suffer,no advuce to give.
But kudos to you for not giving up on your kitties:thumbs up
Reading about the ansthesia and teethcleaning and the affect on Catb-lus cat,makes me a little leery to have my Rockys teeth cleaned next month,he is 12 and has Hyper-Thyroidism.
I've never heard of this happening before:confused:

By the way,Roccoisus,your kitties are beautiful,which one is Rocco??

Rocco is our big white boy :lovestruck:
Hows Howard doing luskentyre?
Happy Groundhog day everyone

luskentyre
February 17th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Hi everyone. Well Howard was at the vet last week for another acupuncture session. There's no noticeable improvement but there's no deterioration either.

He's still got a big raw patch on his bad leg, just above the "elbow" where I think he's been biting. I tried putting a small bandage on it but it didn't stay on for long! Anyone got any ideas?!

roccoisus
February 20th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Hi luskentyre I don't have any idea's :( the news on no deterioration is good can your vet give you any input on what you could do to stop the biting? Rocco is still the same with a a stiff elbow area when he stretches now I hold his bad leg and can feel that vibration all the way down and he grabs me with his claws I just keep up on the massges he doesn't drag anymore he can hold it up now so no dirty little white paw any more lol Hope the acupuncture helps ((((((hugs)))))

luskentyre
March 11th, 2008, 06:46 PM
How is Rocco doing now? Is he managing to put any weight on his bad paw? It's great that he has feeling all the way down now.

Howard is much the same, his abcess is no worse and I have a special bandage from the vet to try. He's also got a respiratory infection (we think) so he's on antibiotics at the moment. Poor wee thing. I'm trying to keep his spirits up with fresh fish every day!

Tuxcat
October 22nd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Hello, All,

I have read the sagas of your cats this morning with great interest, I found this site by searching for cats with nerve damage. We are in this situation now and would appreciate any advice you offer.

On Aug 3, 2008 our dear Frankie Blue-Eyes was shot by some unknown villian. The bullet went through his front leg breaking one of the bones there and then hit his rear leg, shattering the bone there, the one from the knee to his hock. Both legs are on the right side.

The front leg has healed fine and the back leg still has the pins & external hardware holding his leg together. From x-rays the bone appears to be healing.

BUT, he still has no feeling in his foot. He sits normally but he doesn't put his toes down properly when moving around so he often walks on his knuckles. The foot flops a bit when he uses that leg to attempt to scratch his neck. The toe pads are rough, not getting smoothed down from use. He keeps the foot clean and doesn't chew on it. He doesn't mind if I pinch the toes if he can't see me doing it; he doesn't like it if he can see me messing with it. I guess his dignity is still intact if it is threatened so.

We continue to keep Frankie confined in the dog's big travel crate, and let him out to sleep, play, get lots of attention in a large dog cuddle cup beside us on the couch in the evenings. We have been instructed to limit his activity, especially along the lines of jumping. I expect to be instructed soon to let him be out more; the problem being not wanting to get his fixator caught on anything. He often plays with a tennis ball or a small plastic cat toy ball in his crate. I am amazed at how well he is handling the confinement. He is a model patient; they were even able to take x-rays without sedating him.

It has been 2.5 months since the injury. Don't you think we should be seeing some sign of nerve recovery by now?

Sorry for the long post but I think it was needed to give sufficient information about Frankie's situation.

Thanks for listening.:cry:

bendyfoot
October 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
Is it the "healed" front foot that has the nerve damage or the healing hind foot?

Nerve damage can be tricky. It can/will recover, but it can take months or years.

Tuxcat
October 22nd, 2008, 11:48 AM
It is the hind foot.

bendyfoot
October 22nd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Well, if the front leg is working fine, then I see three scenarios here:

1. the hind leg nerve recovers and kitty regains proper use of the foot :fingerscr This would obviously be best
2. the hind leg nerve doesn't recover, but kitty adapts and can get around without injuring the foot that's knuckling and does not self-damage the foot...no issue, carry on as normal with a slightly gimpy kitty:thumbs up
3. the hind leg nerve doesn't recover, and kitty's foot is getting injured, the gimpy leg is impairing kitty's mobility, or kitty is resorting to chewing on the nervy foot...not good...so kitty becomes a tripod and after a brief (2 weeks) recovery period never has to worry about that leg again.:thumbs up

Either way, long-term, you don't have too much to worry about. It's the waiting and wondering what the outcome will be that's going to be the hardest thing. Seriously, animals carry 60% of their weight with the front legs, the back legs don't have much of a supportive role, mainly propulsion. If, down the road (I think it's very early still especially since the hind leg is still recovering from surgery) kitty's hind leg becomes a problem/impairs mobility/is getting injured, a tripod kitty is just as good as a fourpod.

Tuxcat
October 23rd, 2008, 06:53 PM
You are right; it is the waiting and wondering and looking for the tiniest sign of response that is hard.

I did get permission to let him have some more activity today. I took him on two short walks outside. We won't have too many more nice days to do that. He has never been on a harness/leash before and did very well. The distraction of the outdoors helped with that I'm sure. He walked on his knuckles of his damaged foot the whole time. He had a great time and his brother didn't mess with him at all after not being together for 12 weeks!

Has anyone ever successfully made a little bootie to make the foot land on the toes properly? I've been thinking about it but haven't come up with a good way to keep it on the foot.

Here is a picture of him soon after the shooting. His front leg has since healed.

growler~GateKeeper
October 23rd, 2008, 08:13 PM
awwww :lovestruck: what a cutie pie :cloud9: how anyone could be that cruel is beyond me :mad:

I'm so glad he is doing much better :goodvibes: on continued sucess w/his rehab

bendyfoot
October 24th, 2008, 08:10 AM
There are braces made for just that sort of thing, actually...you could order one or get some ideas on how to go about making one...

http://handicappedpets.biz/xcart/leg-splints.html

here's an example from a good source....

luskentyre
January 14th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Howard had to be put to sleep tonight...

I want to thank eveyone on here who gave me messages of support after his accident and helped me through that very difficult time. Unfortunately Howard developed a tumour last year (possibly as a result of the accident) and ultimately it was making him so uncomfortable that a tremendously difficult decision had to be made.

Thank you everyone. I wish you all the very best with your pets. May they bring you happiness for a long time to come.

x

Love4himies
January 14th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I am so sorry to hear he didn't make it :grouphug:

luskentyre
January 15th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Thank you Love4himies - and my thanks to everyone else on here who gave me support after Howard's accident.

chico2
January 15th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Lusketyre,I am soo sorry,Howard was a beautiful little boy.
:rip:sweet little one:angel2: