Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Amount of time spent in a crate

EdwinBird
September 23rd, 2007, 02:07 PM
I thought about putting this in the training sub forum, but I don't think it's really a training issue.

Rio's got some destructive habits when he's left home alone. Until recently he was crated whenever I left (and I work 8 - 5, though I come home from lunch to let him out). However, recently he's been given the bedroom (with the door closed), though he still seems to destroy things if he's given the entire house - one step at a time, I guess.

Here' what I think it weird. Since he's been given the bedroom during the day, when I come home after work he seems to be much more riled up. He wants to do a lot of "crazy playing" then he used to. That's not really a problem for, I've just added a 45 minute walk in the morning (which has made my days feel a lot better, too!) and extended his late-evening walk to about an hour and a half. He gets a 45 minute walk around 5:30 - 6:00 as well (these times are just estimates). I didn't expect the extra space to move around to have this result. I mean, I didn't think the fact that he could walk around the small bedroom to tire him out any, but it seems strange to me that more room during the day appears to mean he needs more exercise.

Of course, the fact that lately, he wants more exercise could have nothing to do with crate time. I just wanted to see if anyone else had noticed anything like this.

Thanks!

kigndano
September 23rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
well one thing i have read is that the more space a dog has to roam around in the more energized they will become.

so when you crate him he has no choice but to relax and lay there quietly.

when you give him free run of a room, or even worse the house, he can run around and jump to his hearts content...which leads to an increased energy level.

(at least thats how i interpreted what i read)

just my :2cents:

mummummum
September 23rd, 2007, 07:09 PM
It's also cooled down quite a bit. I know my dawgs are doing the happy-dance more often now and have far more interest in and energy for playing and staying outside longer.

EdwinBird
September 23rd, 2007, 09:46 PM
So in other words I should look at the situation and use some common sense:lightbulb:

And the temperature here has had a drop lately (actually, a pretty big drop at night!)

Longblades
September 24th, 2007, 11:41 AM
It can sometimes be very difficult to tire out some breeds. ESS are a good example. Meant to work hard, hunting all day, the more exercise you give them the fitter they get. Thus needing even more exercise to tire them out. I would think the husky breeds might be the same. Mind games might help, like obedience or agility where the dog has to think as well as move.

It does sound like your dog is getting lots of walk time but is it on-leash or off? Off-leash in a safe place and maybe a doggy friend to play with might also produce a calmer dog.