Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mother cat and kittens relationship

Kit'sGirl
September 23rd, 2007, 11:13 AM
We're keeping a couple of Vega's kittens (and her), and I was wondering what kind of bond they'll have with her. Especially since Vega and at least one kitten (maybe two) will end up staying in my room. Will the kitten prefer mum's company over mine?

Also, will mom eventually start snubbing it like she did with her first kittens (even after she had this batch she still igores the other two feral kittens) ?

Love4himies
September 23rd, 2007, 06:24 PM
Not sure how momma will react, think every cat may be different. If she and the kittens you are keeping get spayed/neutered, I think they will be very bonded. Human bonds and cat bonds are very different. Human to cat bonds are like provider/companion type bonds, but bonds between cats are playmate/companion bonds. I don't think keeping some kittens and momma will affect any bonding between you and the cats. They and you have enough love for all to share.

Dracko
September 23rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
Imo, it varys from cat to cat. There isn't a rule that always applies.

I adopted 2 sisters recently (4 month old kittens) and thought they might stick to themselves and ignore my other cats. Nope. Not at all. As a matter of fact, the one interacts with the other cats more than her sister. The other one is more shy and tends to keep to herself. This surprised me as I thought they'd stick to each other like glue and I'd always see them together.

Kit'sGirl
September 24th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Ah. Thank you guys for the information. ^^