Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

it's a boy!

jessi76
September 23rd, 2007, 08:54 AM
Hi everyone, I know I've been MIA for quite some time, so I thought I'd stop in to give a quick update...

some of you probably remember I was expecting not long ago... on sept 7 I went in for a check on the baby, and it was determined that an emergency c-section was needed... oligohydraminios (low amniotic fluid) and he was breech.

so at my routine test they spring the news on me... "you may want to call your fiance, you will have a baby within the hour"... not exactly what I had planned for that afternoon!!

the team preps me, and whisks me away to surgery... and my fiance still isn't there. they give me the spinal and run through the plan with me... still no fiance. my mom shows up but I didn't let her in because I was only allowed one person in with me, and wanted that to be my finace! finally, just after the baby comes out, he arrives... still in time to cut the cord. phew!

Owen Daniel, 5lbs 7 oz, 18in at 35 wks gestation.

they show me the baby for a split second then take him away.... he's in respitory distress... my heart sinks.... my finace goes with the baby and I'm alone again with the surgical team.

they make me wait until the spinal wears off to see the baby... who is in an oxygen hood and struggling to breathe.

at one point I decide enough is enough and I get up and WALK to the nursery... to the amazement of most nurses. the pain from a C-section is nothing compared to the pain of not being with your baby when he needs you most.

I see my boy... perfect, but the tubes and wires are scary. I can't hold him. and just cry... the next day, I get up to see him again and find he is not doing well at all. They call a NICU team from Boston to come get him... and they take him from me. I'm still in one hospital and my baby is being rushed to another... and hour away. the heartache was almost too much for me... needless to say, i've NEVER in my life cried so much.

I asked for an early release and my doctor consented, letting me go the next day. I go to Boston to see my little one... intubated... feeding tube... in an isolette. heartbreaking. still can't hold and snuggle my little guy....

they tell me he has pneumonia and keep him on tubes, wires, and meds for a week. then they send him back to the hospital he was born at to finish recovery. another week in the hospital....

finally, 2 wks later, on Sept 21, Owen Daniel came home. a healthy, 5lb 13.8oz baby boy.

a few pics of my brave boy are attached here.

and I'm happy to report that Tucker (our dog) has been super gentle and calm with our new addition. also, our cats, although curious, seem to be accepting the new little one well.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/jesss456/DSCN0416.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/jesss456/GetAttachment-1.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/jesss456/GetAttachment.jpg

BusterBoo
September 23rd, 2007, 09:29 AM
:stork-baby: Congratualtions on your new baby boy....he is absolutely Beautiful!!!!

I can only imagine the pain you went through for those two weeks, not knowing what was happening and not being able to hold your child. Thank God he is ok and now in his mommy's arms where belongs.

:lovestruck:

Frenchy
September 23rd, 2007, 09:34 AM
omg I'm so glad you guys are alright now !!! Poor you , you must have been so scared :sad: Even with the tubes and all , Owen Daniel is a beautiful baby ! :lovestruck: Congratulations mommy !!!!

rainbow
September 23rd, 2007, 01:19 PM
Yikes, what a scary ordeal for you. :grouphug: I am so glad that everything turned out well. Owen Daniel is a beautiful baby. :lovestruck: I love the last picture of him. :cloud9:

And, Tucker is such a good boy. :angel: I can hardly wait to see future pics of him and Owen together. :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
September 23rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
Oh, he's gorgeous, jessi! :cloud9: What a tough beginning, though! :grouphug:

He's used up all his bad luck and now the good karma takes over for the rest of his life! :thumbs up

welcome, Owen Daniel!

angeldogs
September 23rd, 2007, 03:40 PM
I'm sorry you had to go through that.
CONGAT'S to Mom and Dad.
Owen is a strong handsome boy.and i like his name.:angel:

jessi76
September 23rd, 2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks! I will definitely get some pics of Tucker and Owen together as soon as Owen is a bit bigger. Tucker gently sniffs his toes when he's being held, but that's as close as he gets for now. He actually prefers to lay on the nursery floor and "guard" his new boy... lol

cpietra16
September 23rd, 2007, 05:13 PM
What a beautiful little boy. I am so sorry that you had to go through all that emotional rollercoaster...But I'm glad I can say congratulation on your little addition:cloud9:

rainbow
September 23rd, 2007, 05:21 PM
I'd settle for toe sniffing for now. :D

want4rain
September 23rd, 2007, 05:31 PM
Hi Owen Daniel!! welcome to the world! its a big place. :) grow up to be Tuckers Hero because he is sure to be yours!!

what a beautiful trooper you have Jessi! my heart goes out to you for the life time you spent wondering and waiting. these next few months you will feel an even greater love grow than you have ever known before. :angel:

-ashley

Rottielover
September 23rd, 2007, 06:08 PM
Congrats on the little one, I happy to hear all is well now and he is home safe.

happycats
September 23rd, 2007, 07:56 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
He is so beautiful:lovestruck:

breeze
September 23rd, 2007, 08:27 PM
welcome to the world little one, and weclome home, I hope your stay will be the most joyest of all occasions..

congrats to you jessi, enjoy the small times they don't last long... glad all is well now and only good things from now on......
from me and my family to yours..

want4rain
September 23rd, 2007, 09:16 PM
*coughs* also meant to say, i hope you get some sleep soon!! are you able to breastfeed? is he sleeping for any length of time? any questions?? my most valued piece of baby equipment was the 'lap pad'-
http://store.babycenter.com/product/5204.do
just like those guys. for some reason both of my rug rats were distance shooters!! my son got the alarm clock once. :eek: i guess it was the mexican i had for dinner the night before?? having those lap pads cut up into 8"x11" or there abouts to block and catch any stray pees (and you have a boy honey!! he WILL get you!!) and poos is worth its weight in gold!!
we had Jeffrey circumcised, having to get right down there and look at it, change the bandage and make sure things were set right got Chris a nice shot in the eye!! LOL! :laughing: having something handy that soaks up a bunch but doesnt leak through to the changing table... and stray poo... quite handy. :) oh and a plastic curtain for the wall that lips back up to catch any liquids is a good idea too. hmm.... you also might be able to find pee pee tee pees. they arent hard to sew either if you know someone willing to sew a cone thats enough to wrap around it. :)

so yes, get some sleep when you can. take tons of pictures. :) video tapes... this is the best part... until you get to the next part.... the coolness of a kid doesnt let up until they turn 5 and start kindergarden. :rolleyes: then they turn into little monsters and that doesnt let up till they turn 18.

-ashley

mummummum
September 23rd, 2007, 09:29 PM
Welcome to pets.ca Owen ~you're quite the looker! Congratulations to you, new Mummy and Daddy. Big brother Tucker and the kitties must be thrilled to have this strange-sounding, strange-smelling new addition in the house ~ looking forward to those pix too !

growler~GateKeeper
September 24th, 2007, 01:12 AM
oohhh Welcome to the world sweet handsome baby :stork-baby: Owen <gentle :grouphug:>

Congrats Mum & Dad so sorry to hear of the rough first few weeks, must have been so heartbreaking, glad he's all good & home now

While I was reading the first part of your post :eek: my heart just dropped & not until I read the happy homecoming did it climbed back into normal position <phew>

:grouphug: :grouphug:

jessi76
September 24th, 2007, 07:15 AM
LOL, you are too funny! yes, he's already gotten us! as soon as cool air hits him he decides to pee all over.... I'm on to his little game though... I keep some cloths handy for a quick cover up.

one thing i've learned thus far is things are different with a preemie. As for feeding.. we've had to work on that little by little each day. Preemies don't have their mechanics down pat yet for breastfeeding, so we need to do a few different methods. He was on a feeding tube at the hospital for a bit, then graduated to using a bottle, a few min's at breast, etc... now that he's home he's half bottle - half breast. he's still learning, but continues to make strides each day. (it really just depends on how frantically hungry the little guy is!)

*coughs* also meant to say, i hope you get some sleep soon!! are you able to breastfeed? is he sleeping for any length of time? any questions?? my most valued piece of baby equipment was the 'lap pad'-
http://store.babycenter.com/product/5204.do
just like those guys. for some reason both of my rug rats were distance shooters!! my son got the alarm clock once. :eek: i guess it was the mexican i had for dinner the night before?? having those lap pads cut up into 8"x11" or there abouts to block and catch any stray pees (and you have a boy honey!! he WILL get you!!) and poos is worth its weight in gold!!

want4rain
September 24th, 2007, 08:41 AM
thats sooooo good you are able to BF after being away from your fountain of joy for 2 weeks!!! many women would ahve given up on it. :) every little bit you can give him helps, even if it doesnt seem like much! because of my undiagnosed thyroidism i stopped producing at 6 months.

(it really just depends on how frantically hungry the little guy is!)

let me tell you soemthing- if they start off that way, they STAY that way!! Jeffrey is 18 months and is STILL frantically hungry!!!!

:lovestruck::lovestruck: just wait for that first moment where he knows its YOU and not this comfort blob of warmth. youre gonna get him up from bed one of these times and you will just KNOW its you he sees. im getting all misty remembering these things with Jeffrey. :) right now he has his blanket over his head in his high chair eating Cheerios... and every 3rd or 4th handful he is holding out saying DOGGY!!! with the blanket still on his head mind you. :D or the first time Cailyn giggled in her sleep. :) you would be surprised at the things you remember after 8 years.

-ashley

jessi76
September 24th, 2007, 12:33 PM
thats sooooo good you are able to BF after being away from your fountain of joy for 2 weeks!!! many women would ahve given up on it. :) every little bit you can give him helps, even if it doesnt seem like much! because of my undiagnosed thyroidism i stopped producing at 6 months.

I was actually only "away" from him for one night - the night I had my C-section. otherwise I was with him each moment. Luckily, at both hospitals he was at, the mother (or father) is allowed to stay with the baby at all times, free of charge. Even meals are provided to all nursing mothers. At the NICU I got to stay in the same with him, and at the other hospital I got what's called a "boarding room". basically a hospital room within the maternity ward (with food service) but no medical services. I was always welcome to spend as much time as I wanted, any time of day, with Owen in the special care nursery. We are very fortunate to have such facilities here, I couldn't imagine leaving the hospital without my little one.

want4rain
September 24th, 2007, 02:41 PM
oh no no no, i didnt mean to imply you werent able and willing to knock down walls to be within eye sight of your son for most of those two weeks (baring sleeping and stuff!), i just wasnt sure if he could ahve come of the machines long enough to BF thats all. :) many many women have issues BFing without complications of the sort you had. either way, its good you can and are. :)

are you guys getting any sleep??

-ashley

Lukka'sma
September 24th, 2007, 03:23 PM
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w59/Carlea_2007/GRAPHICS/Congratulations-Baby.gif

What a beautiful little treasure. You do good work Jessi76

TMac
September 24th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Congratulations!!!!!

What a handsome little guy!!! So glad to hear he's home now and your roller coaster ride is over! '

Hooray!!

TeriM
September 25th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Congratulations and welcome to the world :). I'm sorry you had such an ordeal and am glad things are going so well for you now :thumbs up.

jessi76
September 25th, 2007, 09:05 AM
i just wasnt sure if he could ahve come of the machines long enough to BF thats all.

ohhhh... no, while he was on breathing machines I used a pump to at least be able to get him the nutrients via feeding tube.

sleep... it sort of comes and goes right now. some nights he's up every 2-3 hrs to eat, and in between that, he's fussy because of gas... but last night he actually slept solid from 3:30am-7:30am... a whole solid 4 hrs at once... it felt awesome. lol....

It's funny, I get up to feed/change/snuggle the baby and when I get back to bed, I find at least one cat and the dog in MY spot... looking at me like "well, you moved. it's our's now"

Schwinn
September 26th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Congratulations! I can only imagine how tough it'd be not to hold him! I still tear up just thinking about how when Grace was born, she didn't breathe right away, and I thought something was wrong.

My advice is more for your fiance...a) DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, complain about being tired...no matter how many meetings we fall asleep during, how many stoplights we take a quick nap...we are NOT allowed to complain about being tired and b) if he DOES get a good nights sleep, for dog's sake, do NOT mention how well rested he is...unless he wants to be eaten

Lessons learned the hard way...if I can save one member of the male order, than my pain was not in vain...

want4rain
September 27th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Schwinn- you are a generous man. :D very very wise words.

also, along that vein- saying bad things in a sweet voice is ok. it is not only ok but sanity saving. when you have gone 3 months without a full nights sleep and often NO nights sleep.... a simple, sweetly stated "if you pee on me again little poopy man, im going to ship you off to the gypsies, yes yes, Mommy is going to ship you off to that crazy old neighbor down the road. take your pick! gypsies or crazy neighbor!!" can make you feel WORLDS better.

-ash

RolandsMom
September 27th, 2007, 12:04 PM
oh my goodness!! what a sweetheart! congratulations!

joeysmama
October 7th, 2007, 05:45 PM
He's such a beautiful baby !! I'm so happy that he is well and happy and so is his mama. You had some scary moments there. Thank God for happy endings and happy families !!!:cloud9: