Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

worms issue for dog

pokermom12
September 22nd, 2007, 11:20 PM
I have a 7yr old shepard roti X and she is mostly an outside dog exept for bad weather then she is indoors. She has been eating and drinking well, pooping and peeing is good, but is loosing alot of weight, today she is very lazy and doesn't want to do much but sleep. How can I tell if she has worms or not, she eats like a horse but is loosing weight. Any suggestions?:shrug:

hazelrunpack
September 22nd, 2007, 11:31 PM
You could collect a stool sample and take it in to the vet for analysis. Although they don't catch 100% of infestations, the lab techs do a pretty good job at spotting a majority of parasites. :thumbs up

If your dog is lethargic and losing weight, though, I'd bring her in to the vet at the same time you submit the stool sample. At the very least, make an appointment for her if the stool sample comes up negative for worms. There are some serious conditions, including thyroid problems, diabetes, and cancer, that can cause the same symptoms that your dog is showing.

Good luck with your dog! :fingerscr Please let us know what you find out!

rainbow
September 22nd, 2007, 11:38 PM
I agree with Hazel. I would definitely get a blood panel done on her as there are so many things that can cause unexplained weight loss. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

TeriM
September 23rd, 2007, 12:53 AM
I also agree with Hazel and Rainbow. Good luck :).