Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

seriously, whats with these temper tantrums

kigndano
September 22nd, 2007, 03:40 PM
and hissy fits my dog throws all the time

is he still protesting my leadership role?

everytime i interrupt his "activities" (ie, eating grass, ripping up the lawn, digging holes) when im doing this training that luckypenny sent me; (thanks btw) he throws a little hissy fit and starts rolling around and chewing on his leash and all that stuff ----- that was the reason i came to this board in the first place :wall:

its really obnoxious, anyone ever had a dog throw hissy fits?

Winston
September 22nd, 2007, 04:21 PM
Winston was like that if he was really hyper or excited..best thing to do is be calm....and if you are training him put him back in the position he was in before he started being goofy...and begin the training again..if he continues perhaps you can put him in a sit and stay and make him wait...sometimes that would calm Winston down....but you have to be on top of it...if he moves...put him back...the whole time you cannot be upset...Lots and lots of praises when he does it right!

Cindy

kigndano
September 22nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
did winston ever calm down??

i just want there to be hope that he wont be like this for 10 years

Winston
September 22nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
He mellowed out when he was 3 1/2 but I can make him act like a puppy in a second!

Cindy

rainbow
September 22nd, 2007, 06:12 PM
Have you ever read this? ....

http://www.malamuterescue.com/alphatraining.html

I have a siberian husky (he's my third one) which is alot like a malamute. You must be firm but gentle with them at all times. I replied in one of your other threads about obedience classes. I know you said you can't afford them. I paid $120 for 8 lessons and it was the best $120 I've ever spent. I really wish you would find a way to take Cassius to classes. I think you would both learn alot and you will never regret it. :2cents:

Winston
September 22nd, 2007, 06:47 PM
I agree Rainbow! Best money I ever spent!

Cindy

rainbow
September 22nd, 2007, 07:01 PM
I can't say enough about the importance of obedience classes. I have had dogs all my life but Logan (my third husky) is the first one I took to obedience school. I learned almost as much as he did. :o

kigndano
September 22nd, 2007, 07:44 PM
rainbow

yes i have read that, but thanks for the link anyways.

i just cant afford the lessons, its really that simple for me right now.

this is what luckypenny sent me to do for myself, i just started today.

(lucky, if you didnt want this posted, please dont be mad)

First Week

Day 1

1. Take the dog to training area on a long line/leash.

2. Pick "points" (trees, shrubs, posts, chairs, etc) not over 50 feet in distance and walk from point to point in a straight line.

3. DO NOT SAY ONE WORD TO YOUR DOG. DO NOT YANK ON THE LINE. You will be making no corrections at this point.

4. DO NOT LOOK AT YOUR DOG; WE ARE TRYING TO MAKE YOUR DOG LOOK AT YOU.

theres more

but thats a sample

mummummum
September 23rd, 2007, 07:37 PM
everytime i interrupt his "activities" (ie, eating grass, ripping up the lawn, digging holes) when im doing this training that luckypenny sent me; ( he throws a little hissy fit

The trick is to interrupt him before he starts his "activities". You need to be paying all of your attention to him to make sure he is paying all of his attention to you. As soon as you see that his attention is wandering, you need to interrupt his thoughts just at the point that they are turning away from you and over to mischief and bad behaviour. Interrupt him by calling him, using a "look at me " hand signal, snapping your fingers, clapping your hands ~ whatever instantly snaps him away from himself and back to you, then redirect his attention back to the task at hand. The reason it is getting to the hissy fit stage is because you aren't completely tuned in to him and aren't anticipating his thoughts. Yes, you do need to read his mind. ~ luckily with puppies it's not all that hard.

EdwinBird
September 23rd, 2007, 08:27 PM
I don't have any advice to add, but I thought I'd tell you I can sympathize.

Today while Rio and I were jogging (which we do once a day), after about 5 minutes into it he suddenly jumped up at me (which he hasn't done for quite awhile). It caught me pretty off guard - I think anyone passing by probably thought it looked funny, I almost fell over! I made him sit and then he tried to grab the leash and I did the "look at me" (which I still do once or twice every walk right before he's about to be mesmerized by a goose or squirrel).

Sometimes it can be frustrating. Obviously I don't want Rio jumping up and biting the leash, but I've found you've got to take the "sometimes they do these things and you just have to deal with them" approach. I used to get so worked up that the smallest misbehavior would get me really angry and then I wouldn't act appropriately (which, of course, would just add to the problem).

I know you've said OB classes are out because of financial reasons, and I don't mean to be a nag by bringing it up again, but they are worth it. I don't make very much money (most months I'm scrambling to pay the bills and generally one of them gets paid late) but if you start saving up it wont be long before you can pay for some classes.

kigndano
September 24th, 2007, 08:50 AM
The trick is to interrupt him before he starts his "activities". You need to be paying all of your attention to him to make sure he is paying all of his attention to you. As soon as you see that his attention is wandering, you need to interrupt his thoughts just at the point that they are turning away from you and over to mischief and bad behaviour. Interrupt him by calling him, using a "look at me " hand signal, snapping your fingers, clapping your hands ~ whatever instantly snaps him away from himself and back to you, then redirect his attention back to the task at hand. The reason it is getting to the hissy fit stage is because you aren't completely tuned in to him and aren't anticipating his thoughts. Yes, you do need to read his mind. ~ luckily with puppies it's not all that hard.

well usually i had been interrupting, but luckypenny has been trying to help me out with some new training..so she said to ignore him no matter what!

i was just wondering what the hell was making him go hay-wire like that

kigndano
September 24th, 2007, 08:52 AM
:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

IM BROKE

:frustrated:

breeze
September 24th, 2007, 09:10 AM
i was just wondering what the hell was making him go hay-wire like that

he's a puppy !!! that is what a puppy does, he does not know any better until you teach him what is right and what is wrong..

rainbow
September 24th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Bree is right and you've picked one of the most difficult breeds as your first puppy. They are very intelligent but stubborn and frustrating at times. :frustrated: You have to learn as much as they do. :o

I know you're broke but ask relatives/friends to borrow some money or sell something or cut corners somewhere to save up (I told you it cost me $120) for the obedience lessons. You will NEVER regret it. :2cents:

kigndano
September 24th, 2007, 02:10 PM
id rather not pawn off my belongings...:rolleyes:

ill just wait until i get a job

EdwinBird
September 24th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Speaking from experience, you're not broke until your rummaging through the house/apartment looking for things to pawn off so you can buy food/pay rent! :laughing:

(Please don't take that the wrong way, it was meant jokingly)

kigndano
September 24th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Speaking from experience, you're not broke until your rummaging through the house/apartment looking for things to pawn off so you can buy food/pay rent! :laughing:

(Please don't take that the wrong way, it was meant jokingly)

lol

youre right tho

im not at 0.00

but i have bills (student loans, credit cards...etc)

and dont take THIS the wrong way

but...

he is JUST my dog

*cowers in the corner in fear of the board members*
:D

t.pettet
September 24th, 2007, 08:17 PM
As suggested before, go and sit-in on an obedience class (without your dog) with pretext of joining in near future. You will learn sooo much and its 'free'.

breeze
September 24th, 2007, 08:49 PM
soooo thats the problem... you don't think like a doggie so you are not understanding him.. and he knows it so he will take advantage of you.....