Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Women and kitties first!

Bluedrake
September 22nd, 2007, 12:53 AM
Well, my night was cut short.

The fire alarm started ringing at half past twelve, so everyone in the building had to get out and wait for the firemen to come and do their job.

After two minutes trying to catch my cat, I managed to wrestle her into her carrying case. It turns out that somebody's stove had caught on fire, but the firemen were able to put it out before it spread.

Now it's a quarter to one and my cat is pestering me for her breakfast!

On the brigth side, I was able to see how many cat and dog parents there are in the building! :D (a lot, I saw a couple with three cats)

growler~GateKeeper
September 22nd, 2007, 01:07 AM
:eek: Glad no one was hurt & the fire got put out quickly!! :thumbs up

I had a similar situation in my building last year, I was just walking home from the bus stop when I look up & see 2 firetrucks in front of my building - I ran like h3ll the block & a half, ran past everyone many with cats, went into the building passed the manager who told me I wasn't allowed in (even though he knew my cat was inside) I passsed a couple of firemen who said it was okay for me to get my cat. The 2nd flr hallway was filled with smoke - someone on the other side of the building left the stove on & burned their pot :rolleyes: (one of those nosy people -he was checking the parking garage to make sure everyone was parked in their own spots :rolleyes:). Luckily this too was quickly put out & the only damage was the pot & stove. At the time my vets' office was across the road so I brought Duffy :cat: there to wait for my mum to pick her up & take her for the night, I didn't want her in to smokey building all night & the next day.

rainbow
September 22nd, 2007, 01:19 AM
Bluedrake, I'm glad everyone is safe and I hope you and your kitty are now sound asleep. :grouphug:

Growler, scary stuff for you too. That's one of the reasons why I don't think that I could ever live in a highrise apartment building. :eek:

growler~GateKeeper
September 22nd, 2007, 01:26 AM
Growler, scary stuff for you too. That's one of the reasons why I don't think that I could ever live in a highrise apartment building. :eek:

Not even a high rise, the building's only 3 floors & I'm on the 2nd, but yeah the fact that my life can be affected by the careless actions so many others is a definate concern

TeriM
September 22nd, 2007, 02:25 AM
:eek: Scary! I'm glad everyone was ok :thumbs up.

Bluedrake
September 22nd, 2007, 03:02 AM
Rainbow, thanks for the group hug, but it's now 3 in the morning and I still am not asleep. Neither is Chinook. Darn adrenaline rush!

I live in a nine floor apartment building and I'm on the third, so it's not so bad to get out.

I'm gonna have to work on a "catch the cat" routine in case that happens again.

You should have seen it. "Chinook, get out from under the couch! Chinook, get back here! Chinook, get in there!" All of this interspersed with many a protesting yowl. :laughing:

rainbow
September 22nd, 2007, 03:16 AM
I can imagine the adrenaline rush. :eek: I think I would have needed a good stiff drink to calm my nerves. :D I hope you don't have to work tomorrow. :fingerscr

Poor Chinook.....did the alarm scare the daylights out of her? :grouphug:

Bluedrake
September 22nd, 2007, 07:30 AM
Chinook? Scared? That's something I've never seen. I was walking around my apartment, covering my ears and trying to understand what was going on, and Chinook was lounging, cool as you please, on the floor and giving me a look that said "for Bastet's sake, human, go back to bed or fetch my breakfast!".

She's a very calm cat. I've seen her startle during the fireworks festival or when I sneeze:laughing:, but once she's over that moment of fright, she's as stoic as can be. She must have had Brittish parents. :D

Thankfully, it was friday night, or saturday morning, so I was able to sleep in.

She was hiding under the couch because she had seen me get the carrying case. To her, carrying = vet's clinic, so she runs.

chico2
September 22nd, 2007, 07:57 AM
Fire is my ultimate nightmare,at one point I had 3 carriers in my bedroom closet,since the cats usually sleep with me,however just the sight of the carriers send my cats in to hiding..
Too often we read,"house-fire,nobody hurt...the housepets perished":sad:
It's important to have a plan,both for pets and people.
I would probably have to resort to put my cats out the window,one floor,I cannot see getting them in to the carriers in a panic situation.
Hopefully I would find them again..

krdahmer
September 22nd, 2007, 03:49 PM
Ya I think that is my biggest fear too... a fire, mainly one if I am not here. I know all the hidey spots, have escape plans and have an extinguisher on both levels, but if I'm not here I have to hope the firemen see my signs and are great at hide and seek. But when I lived in the apartments I was always scared especially because I was in one with a lot of lower class types (not just financially.... druggies, drunks, etc due to assisted housing). The alarm went off a few times but usually for nothing, not even any smoke. Once when I lived in Chippawa though I came home from work and the fire trucks were there, the guy above us had passed out drunk while warming a baby bottle on the stove!!!:eek::eek: You hate to be prejudice... but I mean how ghetto is that?? :sad:

I'm so glad that both of your situations were resolved safely and without incident! :grouphug: Fire is definitely scary!

jiorji
September 22nd, 2007, 04:34 PM
OMG poor you!!

i truly feel for cat owners and fire alarms. Cats are the WORST animal to deal with in such cases.
"in case of fire save my cat" HA!! yeah right. a cat wants nothing to do with its owner when there's loud noises, never mind when strange people and smoke are around.

I have 2 carrying cases just in case, but it's hard enough to shove my cats in tehre when there's no emergency. I'm glad you got that done fast. It could've been a real emergency.

at my old building the alarm went off a couple of times but i didn't even attempt to try to put my cats in carriers and take them downstairs :sad:...must've been the lack of panic from everybody else in the building. Nobody left their apartments:shrug:

ancientgirl
September 24th, 2007, 01:24 PM
That's incredibly scary! I live on the 4th floor of a 4 story apartment building. It is an uncomfortable feeling knowing there are people around that might not be as responsible as you are. I keep my pet carriers handy anyway. Heaven forbid I should ever been in a situation that I may need to gather up the Dynamic Duo like that!