Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

when will kittens walk?

chefg
September 21st, 2007, 07:27 PM
My stray cat had her kittens two weeks ago tomorrow. They started opening their eyes after 8 days and are growing like crazy. How long before they start to walk? They are sort of walking, but very wobbly right now. She also keeps moving them from one place to another in the room. How long should I wait to hold them? I am very new to all of this!!!

CyberKitten
September 21st, 2007, 10:50 PM
Most kittens will begin to take tentative steps in the 4th week. They'll begin to start to stand between the 3rd and 4th weeks, and will try to walk, although their first movements will be very wobbly. Their tiny teeny bodies are out of proportion to what their final adult one will be,their little tails are very short and their heads are disproportionately large for their bodies and legs. This leads to the wobbliness but before you know it, you will see them moving.

They will also begin to try escaping from their nesting area even as they still nurse. Make sure mom has good quality food and even some kitten food while she is nursing. Good luck!!!

Love4himies
September 21st, 2007, 10:56 PM
I have just experienced my first foster litter and cyberkitten is right on the mark.

I started holding them at one week for very short periods of time. Momma was very comfortable and as long as she didn't mind I felt comfortable doing this. Get your cues from momma, she will let you know what she wants you to do. If momma is comfy, then kittens will be comfy with what you are doing. I find the kittens basically play follow the leader and momma is the leader.

rainbow
September 22nd, 2007, 12:59 AM
Cyberkitten and Love4himies gave you great information so all I have to add is "don't forget to post pics". :D

Kit'sGirl
September 23rd, 2007, 12:08 PM
I have a batch of 3 and a half week old kittens and I noticed they started wobbling around the room at about two weeks. Near three weeks they seemed to be able to walk mostly, though I admit their litle leg muscles need more strength. Their are easy to topple and sometimes wobble, but are getting faster by the day. They are now climbing on me and things and exploring like crazy.

As for holding, I started petting them (with Vega's permission) shortly after birth. I waited a day and then started holding them for short periods of time. Vega was very accepting of me holding them. I have held them a little every day. When they opened their eyes Vega was comfortable enough that I pick up and hold them whenever I wish to.

I believe it really depends on the mom and how much she trusts you. So follow her lead! Oh and be careful, because if your kittens are like mine, they'll climb on you and claw you up! Their claws are sharp so maybe wear pants and stuff when on the floor playing with them.

Love4himies
September 23rd, 2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks Rainbow, forgot to add the pics request.

rainbow
September 23rd, 2007, 08:05 PM
Oh yes, pics are a must on this forum :D although I just posted my first which took almost two years....everyone had almost given up on me. :laughing:

ellendar
September 26th, 2007, 12:56 AM
They aren't very steady on their feet at first but as long as they are healthy they will do fine, we "Captured" the wild kitten litter in our basement when they "walked" out of the back room where the Mother cat had them and now they are finally old enough in a month for me to take them to the shelter in order to get them altered, shots are included $36.00 per male and $55.00 per female and we have three boys and one little girl kitten. I cannot give these kittens away because we are still dealing with the ear mite situation and worming situation as they developed a terrible ear mite infestation and so I have been very occupied with swabbing out their ears with Q-Tips dipped inthe ear mite treatment medication that I got at Pets are People too. One is finally wormed but I need a bigger eyedropper to fdo the rest of them by their body weight. They are pretty healthy but I don't want to over worm them until they go get altered and then I might just have it done at the shelter clinic. I think they worm them for free included in the package I had bught them one of those covered cat boxes but they prefer to nap in it so I am putting the litter boxes all on the front porch, we had some vomiting from worms but not a lot, they are lovely kittens one looks like a siamese, two look like Russian Blue kittens and the fourth is a red /orange tabby and he is a rascal! Once altered I will just release them to our yard but they are welcome to come in and out of our basement, garage and porch for shelter, right now they want the best of both worlds, in and out but I imagine when the weather turns they will hang by the fireplace in the basement like all the rest of the cats around here.

ellendar
September 26th, 2007, 01:00 AM
It is important that they be given a box or cupboard wher it is darker as even once their eyes are open their eyes are still developing and kittens need shelter from the light,If they get mucous in their eyes conjunctivitis you can easily treat that first by gently swabbing out the eyues with a q tip at the corner dipped in murine and go to the feed store and buy the terramycin ointment for it. Works very well