Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

question about feeding schedule

kigndano
September 21st, 2007, 05:53 PM
cassius has been on a feeding schedule since i got him, but recently he hasnt been wolfing down his food nearly as ravenously as he was when i first got him.

i dont think its a medical problem, he still has normal stools, and he still eats treats and whatnot during training.

its just when its meal time he'll eat a few bites and then go lay down. for a while i was still removing the food after 15-20 minutes like i read you should; but now i feel that he just wont eat if i do that.

i also know that mals are notorious for not eating as much as you think they need to, so basically i dont know what to do here;

should i...

a. change the feeding times to later in the day?

b. put food out and leave it all day?

c. keep taking the food away?

d. something completely different?

:shrug:

breeze
September 21st, 2007, 06:09 PM
first what are you feeding him??
second what time are you feeding him??
thrid when are you exercising training him??
fourth how much are you feeding him

kigndano
September 21st, 2007, 06:18 PM
im feeding him hills science diet 2 times a day 2.5 cups each feeding at 6 am and 6 pm

he usually gets walked before his morning meal, but on days like today when i have terrible morning allergies i just cant walk him until my meds kick in at 9 or 10

and he always has like 20-30 mins outside time on his tie-up before his dinner.

training gets done whenever i have free time, not really a daily schedule

Winston
September 21st, 2007, 08:48 PM
I cant help you here other than that I free feed Winston and he is funny...if I am out all day he wont eat until I get home and other days he eats?? On his schedule..

kigndano
September 22nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
i just dont want him to have poor eating habits when he is older

and i dont want to take him out to poop 12 times a day either

why couldnt he just keep eating all his food???:wall:

Winston
September 22nd, 2007, 04:16 PM
How old is your pup? Winston is pretty regular regardless of when he eats now that he is older...In the morning and in the evening! But when he was a puppy it was alot more frequent....I did crate him until he was 3...so we really havent had accidents in the house..Other than when he throws up!

Cindy

kigndano
September 22nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
7.5 months

Winston
September 22nd, 2007, 05:43 PM
Do you crate him? how often is he going?

rainbow
September 22nd, 2007, 05:55 PM
I think you should change his food to a premium/holistic brand that has better ingredients. Casssius will find it alot more appealing. Have you checked out our Food Forum here? .....there's lots of good information there.

Here's a list of ingredients you should avoid:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

There's lots of other great information on that website if you click on the links. Also, www.dogaware.com is a good site.

Read the ingredients on your bag of Science Diet and compare them with:

Orijen (http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/products/puppyLargeIngredients.aspx)

Innova (http://www.innovapet.com/products/default.asp?id=1259)

Innova EVO (http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1485)

Canidae (http://www.canidae.com/dogs/all_life_stages/dry.html)

Winston
September 22nd, 2007, 06:46 PM
Thumbs Up for Orijen!
Winston loves the fish formula!!!

Cindy

mummummum
September 22nd, 2007, 07:42 PM
I too think you should carefully review the links Rainbow posted and read through some of the posts on our food forum ~ Science Diet would not be a product I would ever use. I'm a firm believer in "You are what you eat" and I would much rather pay for premium food and supplements than premium Vet bills.

But even on premium holistic diets some dogs just get bored of the same ol', same ol'. Once you find a brand(s) of food you trust, you can try different formulas and mix it up every week or so just to keep it novel for Cassius.

kigndano
September 22nd, 2007, 07:49 PM
winston

i dont crate him unless i am at work--
he pees like 4 or 5 times a day; poos 2 or 3

and i will start reading those links tonight

i picked science diet because of the vet.....

she reccomended it,possible scam artist??

kigndano
September 22nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
oh and one more thing

can i feed him raw food now..BART diet is it??

or is he too young?

maybe ill check the boards out before i ask old questions

breeze
September 22nd, 2007, 08:40 PM
I agree about changing his food to a better quality food. the other thing I have found out is that if you don't cover or seal the bag properly it does go stale, and some dogs won't eat it.. We did have to change her food until I found the right one she likes and could tolerate.. (the amount of protient)

My first dog I free fed her but my others I did not, they would eat the whole bag if I let them.. I feed in the morning, when I get up and around 4;30 pm for supper. cause it is conveniant for me,
She get about 20 minutes to finish, mind you it never takes that long lol lol lol

want4rain
September 22nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
be a raw sucker!!!!! we are!! Mister just *loves* food time!! we started him raw at 8 or 9 months because.... thats where and when my research led me.

i could talk all day long about how happy we are with the results and a raw diet... i wouldnt go back to kibble for anything really.

just talked my sister into it... piece of cake. we are feeding her 30lb dog for under $30 a month.

also, raw can be started any age that kibble can be. the earlier the better. IMO anyway. call around to the different kennels, breeders and vets in the area. ask around to find out who feeds raw. we have found a boarding kennel feeds their home dogs Canidae and raw but mostly raw.... im working on making soem time to go pester them about how long, what and the whys... results and so on. i would strongly suggest the same thing.

do you check your PM's on here??

-ashley

rainbow
September 22nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
i picked science diet because of the vet.....

she reccomended it,possible scam artist??

I wouldn't say "scam artist" but most vets do not know alot about kibble ingredients. Hills (Science Diet) and Royal Canin (Medi-Cal) send reps to the vet schools to teach about pet nutrition and therefore have alot of influence on what the vets sell. They also give them big incentives. :rolleyes:

Al I can say is read the links I gave you and educate yourself. ;)

kigndano
September 23rd, 2007, 10:39 AM
want4rain

yes, i do check my PM's but i dont see one from you:shrug:

can you offer me any tips on introducing the raw diet??

:fingerscr

kigndano
September 23rd, 2007, 10:40 AM
I agree about changing his food to a better quality food. the other thing I have found out is that if you don't cover or seal the bag properly it does go stale, and some dogs won't eat it..

good to know, BUT i am pretty good about putting a shoe on top of the bag of food (we keep it in the garage and i dont want spiders in there or anything)

want4rain
September 23rd, 2007, 12:00 PM
does he have a sensitive stomach?? can you feed him other things and not ralf up or get loose stool??

we just cold turkeyed my sisters dog to raw ebcause of allergies. she started off with chicken quarters dipped into boiling water for only a few seconds. next day was just the raw food. she doesnt have asensitive stomach nor is she a scarfer.

my suggestion would be to go out and get a whole chicken, set it outside, make your pooch sit and wait. release him and let him go to town. watch for him to bury it when he is done though. i cant tell you how many times ive not found Misters buried chicken!! LOL!

take away what he doesnt finish and feed it the next day.

have you researched a raw diet??

expect to spend some money at first while you try to find a supplier, what you are comfortable with and what your dog likes to eat.

some of our 'rules' are this-

feed the week., not the day. for example, Mister gets a whole chicken which is 2 days of food. he eats what he will be one day, whats left is the next day. a 4lb chicken is a 3lb meal first and then a 1lb meal next heh.
another block of food is 2 days of 2 chicken quarters -high in calcium, then a day of his ground beef mix (80/20 ground beef 1lb, 6 WHOLE RAW eggs with the shell, handful of beef liver, beef intestine) which is low in calcium. which is 3 days of food.
leg of lamb runs 5lbs or so so thats 2 days of food.
one more block of food is a day of pork neck and pigs feet, next day is pork kidney and intestine.
a fun snack is a container of chicken gizzards, heart and liver frozen into an icecube.

we have been brainstorming winter warm meals. chopped beef liver and warmed up ground beef made into a soup would be nice i think. not HOT water but warm enough to warm the food up. :)

feed 2-3% of total body weight or desired body weight.

watch the poop to tell you the calcium needs. if theres straining, too much calcium. too runny, not enough calcium with the exception of organ meats. they make yellow poo, soft poo, super dark poo. :) depends on what you feed.

variety is good.

10% organ meat with 5% of that being liver.

whole eggs with shells uncooked are perfectly balanced. they suggest 1 per 10lbs.

we feed other things besides raw meat because we have kids. Mister gets what hits the floor. we always make sure that there has been a few hours between his snacks and his meals for digestability.

also, hunting season is coming up. we are looking aroudn for deer heads and organs and turkey guts and heads. id suggest doing the same.

oh and introduce aanimal type one at a time. start with chicken, give it a week... then beef... give it a week... then turkey, another week... you are looking to introduce a meat a week but dont forget to keep the previous ones. once you kow they are ok with that protein, make a mix.

if im missing anything... hopefully someone will pipe up!

-ashley

Winston
September 23rd, 2007, 12:10 PM
Sounds like it could be pretty pricey to start off with? If your out of work maybe holding off a bit would be wiser....could be hard on the pocket book to start....I know it can be tough when your out of work?

Cindy

kigndano
September 23rd, 2007, 01:37 PM
youre probably right

but everyone is saying i shouldnt feed him the rest of the 40lb bag of science diet i bought...so isnt the other food suggested as expensive as raw food?

rainbow
September 23rd, 2007, 01:54 PM
How much do you pay for Science Diet? How many cups per day do you feed and how much does Cassius weigh?

want4rain
September 23rd, 2007, 03:13 PM
so raw is only as expensive as you make it. pricing EVERYTHING is a big help. figuring out whats comfortable with YOUR dog is important too. we can get 10lbs of chicken quarters for $5. he eats roughly 2lbs a day. making out like bandits anyone??? thats at walmart. do some serious shopping around. we feed Mister on average 65lbs of food a month. cost less than $65 if we dont shop for the expensive stuff like lamb ($5 a lb!!!). whole chicken at SAMS for 77c a pound. 1lbs of chicken liver for $1.50, 5lbs of ground beef for $6 at walmart, dozen eggs for $1.50... turkey breast/leg for 80c/lb. oh and at a different grocery store, the same 10lb bag of chicken quarters is double the price... so it goes to show, really shop around!!!

to feed a high quality kibble (Canidae) its $38 for a 40lb bag. (i think, cant remember now), he eats aprox 4 to 6 cups of that a day???

more expensive than raw!!!

but for the first few months we were paying over $1/lb because we didnt know where to look. also now that our friends know we feed raw they give us their hunting left overs like goose guts and deer parts.

if its too expensive to make the entire transition, try feeding chicken quarters one day and kibble the next? i hear of some people who do that. we havent tried it though. the cats freak out over kibble. they miss it but they either squirt it out or ralf it up.

good luck!! lemme know how it goes!!

-ashley

clm
September 23rd, 2007, 05:28 PM
My breed are also smaller eaters. I still feed the pups morning and evening. They don't eat all their food at once, I've never had a kees that did. They munch away on it over a period of a few hours. Sometimes they eat all of their breakfast and dinner, sometimes they don't. When we get home after work, any of their breakfast that's still there gets tossed. When we get up in the morning, any of their dinner from the night before that's left get's tossed.

Cindy

rainbow
September 23rd, 2007, 05:35 PM
we feed Mister on average 65lbs of food a month. cost less than $65 if we dont shop for the expensive stuff like lamb

I have a 58 lb. husky and a 88 lb. lab that I feed Orijen. A large bag costs me $49.95 and it lasts for 3 weeks so I guess it would cost me about $65 a month to feed Orijen.

want4rain
September 23rd, 2007, 07:41 PM
I have a 58 lb. husky and a 88 lb. lab that I feed Orijen. A large bag costs me $49.95 and it lasts for 3 weeks so I guess it would cost me about $65 a month to feed Orijen.

for both of them? bummer i cant find Orijen LOL!! :rolleyes:i think Mister would rebel in the night and suffocate me in my sleep if i stopped feeding him all this yummy goodness.

-ash