Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

differentiating between commands

smallemilo
September 21st, 2007, 05:28 PM
My friends dog does not know the difference between sit, stay, and down. I does a combination of all of them when commanded to do anything. I am trying to teach it only one at a time so that it does not get confused. Besides giving it a reward the moment it sits if i am telling her to sit, what other suggestions do you have for helping train a dog to differentiate between commands? Please Help! very frustrated.

kigndano
September 21st, 2007, 05:49 PM
i use hand signals.

fist up means sit

pointing down ....down

stay is an open palm facing the dog

and come i kind of wave the dog to me

do these types of things with the words, i think it helps the dogs learn

or if im completley wrong, someone will tell you what you should REALLY do

Jim Hall
September 21st, 2007, 07:52 PM
excellent advice kigndano also i would add instead of sit stay use sit hold
or some other word that doesnt sound like sit

Winston
September 21st, 2007, 08:45 PM
You need to do each command seperatly...if your dog tries to do all of them you have to stop him from doing that. For example, get a treat...get your dogs attention by letting him have a sniff or aware of what you have...keep it in your hand and get it under his nose ...say DOWN and move downward treat in hand to the ground...your dog should go down and stay down.. give him the treat only when he has done it right...if he moves out of the sit get his attention again and down..then reward...never give in with the reward...you only want to reward when it is correct. I also use verbal commands taught in obediance class...Ah! Ah! in a firm voice is very effective...If your dog is in a sit and moves out of the sit..use the Ah! Ah! to get his attention and place him back in a sit.....But the biggest thing is making sure your dog knows the difference between all commands and lots of practice it great! Dogs love to practice because they get treats...

After awhile they do it whether you have a treat or not...food motivates them though!

Good Luck

Cindy

want4rain
September 22nd, 2007, 07:58 AM
hahaha Mister does EXACTLY the same thing!!

we did what kigndano suggests and its worked perfectly. cept we use pointed fingers, i hold my pointed hand out in front of me pointing up its SIT, point at the ground its DOWN. we did that so it was easier to tell what we wanted if we introduce other hand signals. palm out will be NO PLEASE DONT SLAM INTO ME! and palm down will be PLAY DEAD.

oh and if i have my fist at my side he barks.

-ashley

~michelle~
September 22nd, 2007, 12:19 PM
focus on teaching one command at a time and using them at different times and in different situations. i like to train more in "real life" situations than during formal training sessions (although they are helpful too)

kigndano
September 22nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
did i really give someone useful advice?????:confused:

maybe theres a pig flying outside my window.....:laughing: