Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats and bee stings

Maggieandme
September 21st, 2007, 03:40 PM
Hi I had Maggie outside with me a few minutes ago and I think she was stung on the belly by a large bee. She was jumping around and crying, I got hold of her finally and pulled it off. She seems O.K, but will not let me look. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I have so little experience with cats. Does she need to see the Vet? Thanks, Laurie

Maggieandme
September 21st, 2007, 04:00 PM
I just spoke with her Vet. He let me know the signs of a bad reaction. She is eating and playing. He thinks she will be fine. I bet he is glad to have us for patients.

Jim Hall
September 21st, 2007, 05:26 PM
i Bet he is!!! I am sure any body will agree its better to ask a pro right away instead of waiting till your criiter is visibily sick.

better for the vet your pocketbook and certainly for the animal.:highfive:

hazelrunpack
September 21st, 2007, 11:41 PM
I'm glad Maggie is okay! You never know how an animal is going to react to a bee sting--we keep Benadryl on hand for the dogs since some of them like to attack and eat hornets! :eek:

We're very "chatty" with our vets, too...call them at a drop of a hat! :D If they don't hear from us for a week or so, they begin to worry! :laughing:

rainbow
September 22nd, 2007, 12:16 AM
You can use any store brand product of diphenhydramine which is the generic version of Benadryl. :)

We're very "chatty" with our vets, too...call them at a drop of a hat! :D If they don't hear from us for a week or so, they begin to worry! :laughing:

:laughing: I've even been known to phone mine at home when she's on holidays. :o

I'm glad Maggie is okay too. :highfive:

Maggieandme
September 22nd, 2007, 09:25 AM
Hi Thanks. Maggie is fine.We are lucky she suffered no ill effects as we live almost 50 miles from help. If they make a first aid kit for cats I should have one. Thankfully her desire to be outside is lessening and she seems content just to look out the windows most of the time. It is a beautiful fall day here in Alberta. Have a great day everyone. Laurie

rjesak
September 24th, 2007, 10:39 AM
My cat once had the very great misfortune to catch a wasp he was chasing. It got in through the fireplace and I couldn't figure out where all the cats had gone until I heard the shreak. Poor thing was under the bed growling at anything that came within ten feet. I finally got him out and found the sore in his mouth. He was perfectly fine within an hour!

I wish I had such a minor reaction to getting stung! I swell up to watermelon size wherever I get it!