Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My big mean golden...

Ford Girl
September 21st, 2007, 02:41 PM
So, my husband was home yesterday when the mail lady came to our street and he saw her skirt around our house, with a handful of mail she wasn't going to deliver. Dazy was outside. The mail was for us, the pile was huge, days worth. He put Dazy inside and called her over. She said she doesn't always come to our house cuz she is scared of Dazy. She skips us if Dazy is outside. We have a 4.5 foot fence, locked and secure, mail box is just inside the fence attatched tot he side of the house, you'd have to reach your arm over to place mail in the box, that part of the fence is new since we got a dog, and I never even thought about it...

Dazy reaction is to jump at the fence, and bark very loudly, jumping and barking...(you can't see her tail or wiggle butt from the other side of the fence) She appears big and possibly mean to those who don't know her or I would assume she could appear scary.

Mail persons are not allowed to pet animals, even friendly ones. So we can't ask her to meet Dazy, the old mail man would yell her her to be quiet, he learnt her name, and would say Quiet Dazy - Off, she would listen, but he wouldn't pet her for obvious reasons, when we asked this lady to do the same, she just looked at us, didn't seem willing to learn her name or give her commands, I understand this is not her responsibility. But I thought I would ask.

So, I thought I should move the mail box to the front of the fence so she doesn't have to reach over. Other then doing this, and we are not always outside when the mail person shows up, and we can't introduce them, what can I do to help calm her down when this happens (the dog, not the mail lady ha!) Right now, if she's barking outside, we go out, give her a correction, put her leash on and bring her inside immediatly, she doesn't randomly bark at nothing, just people that come to the fence. I just noticed the flyer kids are scared too, and the religous door knockers haven't been back in months... any suggestions?

Jim Hall
September 21st, 2007, 02:51 PM
:laughing: put the box outside that way dazy can still scare the doorknockers

breeze
September 21st, 2007, 02:55 PM
does the mail person come around the same time every day?? maybe you can hold off putting dazy outside until the mail person has come around..

I have to do that with Bree cause if she is outside none of our row will get mail..
o yes they are big bad doggies, they just might lick them to death before anyone notices. lol lol

JanM
September 21st, 2007, 03:15 PM
When you bring Dazy inside to correct her, is she with you? The ultimate punishment for Amber is to put her in the laundry room alone - for not more than 5 minutes. That has solved a few unwanted behaviours. If she is brought inside and I'm there - there's no real "punishment" involved - she just thinks she is coming in to be with me.

Worth a thought...

Ford Girl
September 21st, 2007, 06:05 PM
Yes Jim, my thoughts exactly!!!

Breeze - it varies, usually in the mid morning, but yesterday was about 4:00 in the afternoon.

Jan - for mail man harrassment we put her in without us, but only for as long as it takes to applogies and get the mail, for other barking incindences, we bring her in and pen her, the thing is, she happily walks to her pen or kennel and takes a nap, any time of day, tired or not, in trouble or not...there isn't a room in my house at this time that I can place her in without worrying she would get in to more trouble (laundry room means socks and dust bunnies!!)...and if she doesn't mind the pen or kennel, it won't work?? :shrug:

She is never "afriad" for the lack of a better word, or ashamed of her actions, never puts her ears back or tail down, so happy all the time, once my friends gave her big time crap for wrestling in their house with their lab, the lab dropped to the floor instandly, she wagged her tail and wanted to play more!! Loud voices, bangs and boom, even a penny can - she doesn't care. I know I don't really mean this in all it could be taken for - I just wish that some time she would be a bit afraid (for lack of a better word) of us or getting in trouble!! Drives me nuts. So happy, all the time.

The last time she ate out of the litter box I put her in the porch after saying BOYS OH BOYS, and I am a very loud person!!! She was crying for about 30 seconds then it got quiet, I opened the door to find her laying belly up wiggling around with my sandel in her mouth..happy as a clam!! YUM - shoes!!! Not eating them, tossing them around!! She hasn't done it since, but I can say it's not cuz of the punishment she got, more cuz we watch her like a hawk!

I dont mean to say I want her afriad of me, cuz I know that dosn't work either, but a little fear of consequesces would be nice - just once. Gawd made them cute for a reason...:evil::evil::evil: She's such a clown.

Maybe if I leashed her and attached the leash away from us in the yard, tothe fence, far from the gate, so she can see us but can't be with us?

JanM
September 21st, 2007, 07:12 PM
OMG - you do have your hands full! Dazy sounds like a wonderful but challenging dog... and doesn't it humble you when your dog is one step ahead of you too ???

Frenchy
September 21st, 2007, 10:29 PM
and the religous door knockers haven't been back in months... any suggestions?

So what's the problem again ? :D

hazelrunpack
September 21st, 2007, 10:37 PM
So what's the problem again ? :D

That was gonna be my question, too! :o

With eight dogs greeting people at the gate, we don't get many of them, either, anymore. Our mailbox is up by the road, though, so the mail still arrives. :thumbs up

I'd say, follow through on moving your mailbox to the outside of the fence, and sit back and enjoy the lack of other people ringing your bell! :laughing:

rainbow
September 22nd, 2007, 12:48 AM
That gets my vote too. :thumbs up

TeriM
September 22nd, 2007, 01:41 AM
Mine too :).

Ford Girl
September 22nd, 2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks, I really was thinking the same thing, I don't like those unexpected knocks either!!! :mad: Moved the mail box this morning, that should at least gaurentee we get our mail. :laughing:

Funny, cuz there are about 4 or 5 contractors working in the neighbours house and yard, they've been around on and off for a few weeks now, she sees them, and doesn't bother to bark or hassle them unless they talk to her or us. Then she "notices" them.

She was at day care all day yesterday, then played with Voo for hours, so she's good and tired today. It's a good thing. :angel:

chico2
September 22nd, 2007, 04:59 PM
My mailman always carries treats and has made friends with the dogs in the neighborhood:laughing:

Winston
September 22nd, 2007, 05:23 PM
Ford Girl...Good thing you moved the mailbox or hubby will never get his package!! he! he! he!

Cindy

Ford Girl
September 23rd, 2007, 12:16 PM
Ford Girl...Good thing you moved the mailbox or hubby will never get his package!! he! he! he!

Cindy

I was starting to think the same thing!!!! LOL! Still haven't got it. It's rainy here today, still in my jammies :sleepy:, did I mention I am addicted to animal planet? PJ's, rainy, big TV, tired dog....:cloud9: