Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Too Much Training?

want4rain
September 21st, 2007, 01:43 PM
how often do we try to train out things as pups and teens that would work itself out with age?? is that soemthign we shoudl pay more attention to in having a pre teen pup?? he is a pretty good dog but recently he started gettign into the trash can where as he hasnt before. as a pup we sprayed the bitter apple stuff int here and worked with him to NOT get in the trash. well he is taller now and has just decided NOW is a good time to fish things out even though he knows its wrong. if i catch him at it, he hunkers down and lays on his side in submission without even having to say anything. an exaggerated OH NO!! or even better, OH MY GOSH!! and he is shamed. but he is still doing it!! i suspect it will be soemthign he grows out of and only pulls out of his dew rag when he is feeling snotty or neglected.

im rambling. how often, do you think, that we try to train out somethign that time itself will take care of??

-ashley

kigndano
September 21st, 2007, 06:50 PM
i mean

we both know im not really the source here but i would guess to correct it every time you see it would be the right thing to do

and when he stops give him praise for it maybe??

i dunno, someone who really knows what to do help out!!!!!

want4rain
September 21st, 2007, 09:10 PM
even the newest can have good ideas. :)

im not too worried about the trash, soon the KID is gonna be in it so we need a better alternative anyway. you know, you can train your DOG to stay out the trash but kids... not so much LOL!!

i was just wondering if there was a list of things that are pretty likely to just simply grow out of.

or somethign like that.... :D

-ash

Winston
September 21st, 2007, 09:36 PM
Honestly I think each dog is different...When my boy was a small pup he did things like that...as he matured he stopped...However, every once in awhile he goes into the bathroom garbage and has some fun...For some reason he likes qtips??? I think you have to catch him in the act for it to be effective so I would set him up agin in order to correct the problem. But they always surprise you!

Good Luck

Cindy

TeriM
September 22nd, 2007, 01:49 AM
how often, do you think, that we try to train out somethign that time itself will take care of??

-ashley

You need to address this every time it happens. He is basically "self-rewarding" his behavoir because he gets something he wants. It's kinda like dogs counter-surfing .... if they get something good one time out of ten tries then they will still keep doing it. If there is never anything good (or always "discouraged") then eventually they will give up (we hope :D).

want4rain
September 22nd, 2007, 08:43 AM
right!! but if we just take the trash can away except when we are in the room.... he wouldnt dare graze when we are IN the room.... and in a year or so just start leaving it there?

i was thinking of this last night before i fell asleep, with children, redirection is your best friend. Jeffrey does somethign he isnt suppose to, you redirect him to somethign he IS. later when he has better language skills you EXPLAIN why not. now i know a dog wont ever really have 'better language skills' BUT i know so many things you are redirecting your children from, they just simply forget about.

make sense?

-ash

Longblades
September 24th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I would NEVER trust my dog to not get into the trash. There are just too many appealing odours there. And some dangerous things too. I think this is where you have to apply the Lord's Prayer and "lead them not into temptation." Best to secure the trash behind a closed door or tight lid. VERY tight lid. That goes for the recyling box too, there is nothing quite so horrible as a tongue slit open from licking a sharp can edge.

Freyja
October 7th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Right, like kids. "Set them up for success". I have a big Cranberry Cocktail jug full of water that sits on top of the garbage can. Can't get in, can't get into trouble!!

want4rain
October 8th, 2007, 11:30 AM
i coulda swore i responded to Longblades... :o

we recycle and compost so most of the food trash has a completely different bin, cant, jars, bottles, paper, plastic stuff... THOSE all go into a bin which is closed off from all the pets... unless they somehow grow opposable thumbs(of which Cailyn calls DISPOSABLE thumbs).

i try not to throw pits in the compost, most seeds go in the trash... which is usually what Mister wants to dig out. go figure... my dog will do just abotu anythign for cherries. :rolleyes:

the jar of water sounds like a GREAT idea LOL!! just the kind of thing we like to do in this house. :evil:

i'll keep you guys posted on how that goes.

-ashley