Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat likes to catch critters and keep them captive

Theofani
September 21st, 2007, 10:38 AM
My cat catches critters but on top of that, he likes to keep them captive so he can play with them at his leisure. Here, he caught a chipmunk and stuffed it into a hollow, wooden toy. Does anybody have a cat that does this kind of thing?

want4rain
September 21st, 2007, 12:42 PM
OMG thats so funny!!!! how did you get him out?!?! how was he breathing?!?! wow!! talented little chipmunker you got there!! :laughing::laughing:

-ashley

chico2
September 21st, 2007, 12:51 PM
I think that's terrible,hope the little one made it:pray:
Theofani,if your kitty really somehow put this poor creature in there,he must be really smart:laughing:I really hope you saved it,I do not let my cats torture anything:cat:

jiorji
September 21st, 2007, 01:03 PM
HAHAHHAHAHAH that is too funny!!
that cat looks evil too:evil:looks so proud of herself

classic cat attitude i think.

Theofani
September 21st, 2007, 01:16 PM
Don't worry. I know it looks cruel but I picked up the chipmunk in the toy (with a glove) and released it into the wild. My cat also brings little bunnies in the house and plays with them. Man, to they scream loud. I also have to catch them and release them outside.

Why does my cat bring these critters in the house. Is he showing them off to us? A type of bragging?

OC_Spirit
September 21st, 2007, 01:20 PM
Actually from what I hear its more of a he think you are his "kittens" and brings them home alive to teach you how to hunt. The fact you do hunt (cath) them would solidify the behaviour. He probably catches a lot more that he doesnt bring home for himself, ones he actually finishes off.

Another theory is the domesticated, heavily bred purebred cats (like some milled rag dolls) have lost the ability to hunt properly and although they have the instinct to chase and catch they dont have the instinct to kill and eat. This is seen in a lot of dogs who chase squirrels and rabbits but never actually catch them. Or if they do they dont kill them. My guys arent like that though, they deffinately catch and kill and would eat if they werent already well fed.

want4rain
September 21st, 2007, 01:22 PM
aww you are doing your job!! providing a wonderful happy home! he is giving you offerings of respect and love!!

-ashley

breeze
September 21st, 2007, 03:10 PM
having a cat chase,catch, or even troment them is possible, but having a cat stuff the little thing in a toy, can't see that happening. I would think that the chipmunk run for the nerest hole he could find in order to get away from your cat..

badger
September 21st, 2007, 03:13 PM
My sister's old cat :rip: was the most outrageous hunter, it was definitely in her blood. She was a well-fed and cosseted pet but pretty much ate everything she caught; my sister would find the odd pile of entrails or a severed head in the garden. Yes, they are gifts, ones we'd prefer not to have :eek:. If he has a collar, you might try attaching a bell, to give the critters a little advantage.

Jim Hall
September 21st, 2007, 03:34 PM
i was kept by a 4 lb hunter that had her prey switch permenantly switched on she was the cutest little thing and she would chase anything anywhere anytime sometimes to eat she onced treed a racoon at 3 am
soinded like www 3 had started we finally had to place her at a friend's farm because she would teerioze the neighboor hood dogs .

the farmer said he never saw a cat catch so many rodents

one day she ran a fox into her den the problem was the fox had babies
and ripped zippiy's ear off :eek:

Zippy was a liitle more cautious after that

cpietra16
September 21st, 2007, 04:06 PM
I just wanted to add my 2 cents;
I have rescued many little creatures from my kitties mouth and I should warn you that the cat's saliva is deadly to these creatures. If there was any type of break on the skin, a chipmunk, bird, mouse, etc. will die within 24 hours. Just thought you should know.
The little creatures I saved were all given a dose of antibiotic to fight the infection.

Theofani
September 21st, 2007, 04:07 PM
Ricky has been found to do this 'captive' thing before.

Once, I found a chipmunk wedged between my garage door trim and the wall. There's about an inch of space between the trim and wall and I found a chipmunk wedged in the space with its legs hanging out. It couldn't budge. I doubt it got in there by itself. I suspect Ricky was the guilty party.

Of course, I set it free. Again, I've heard of cats chasing and catching varmints but never a case where a cat kept them prisoner.

breeze
September 21st, 2007, 04:12 PM
Ricky has been found to do this 'captive' thing before.

Once, I found a chipmunk wedged between my garage door trim and the wall. There's about an inch of space between the trim and wall and I found a chipmunk wedged in the space with its legs hanging out. It couldn't budge. I doubt it got in there by itself.

you would be suprised at where little critter can hide when faced with life and death situations :sad:

Lukka'sma
September 21st, 2007, 04:32 PM
Cats are predatory, I get that. I don't have to enjoy seeing it though. I don't like seeing the prey in a no win situation like this. My thoughts are with that little creature (or any prey) that is so fearful that all it can think to do is escape by any means possible even if it means making a bad situation worse. Not a picture that amuses me.

chico2
September 21st, 2007, 05:02 PM
My cats if they catch anything,will not keep it for long,we will rescue it,I also find nothing funny at watching a little creature scared out of his wits.
Since we are outside with our cats,it very seldom happens.
I even saw a little deermouse play possum,when we picked him up he came to life and ran off.
I also don't think that little guy is a Chipmunk,looks more like a little Red Squirrel.