Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Foster kittens off to vet again!!

Love4himies
September 21st, 2007, 05:38 AM
Well two of my foster kittens are off to the vet again. The two orphans have high fevers, not eating and seem to have problems walking. They are not vomiting. Their hind legs don't seem to want to move like they are stiff. At first I thought it may be an injury, but now with two of them with the same symptoms, I donbt it.

One went to the vet last night and she thought it might be an abcess starting in the leg gave him an injection for his fever and anti-inflammitory, but now I have a second kitty who is sick.

Love4himies
September 21st, 2007, 08:08 AM
Well the vet looked at them again this morning and have no idea what is wrong with them.

High fever, not eating, problems walking, not vomiting, perhaps from pain in their tummies, seem to be in pain when picked up (one whimpers). I guess I am a little frustrated with the vets because they must have seen something like this before and have some ideas :shrug:. Does it sound like a flu virus?

hazelrunpack
September 21st, 2007, 09:14 AM
:grouphug:

No advice, not being experienced in kitties...just wanted to say we've got :fingerscr and lots of crossed :pawprint:s for the little darling's quick recovery!

Are they drinking water? Did the anti-inflammatory help the first kitty any? Was the injection an antibiotic?

Love4himies
September 21st, 2007, 09:30 AM
The one who received the anti-inflammitory shot last night, did come home and eat on his own, but just went to hide under the bed after that. The shot was also to reduce his fever. He received clavomox (SP?) pill last night and I gave him liquid this morning. He was not so enthusiastic to eat this morning when I tried to feed him from the syringe.

The one who got sick last night, would not get up to eat on his own, but enthusiastically ate from the syringe when I fed him watered down food this morning to keep him hydrated.

Both are getting sub-cutaneous fluids at the vet this morning.

krdahmer
September 21st, 2007, 01:07 PM
Could it be an intestinal blockage?... sounds much like the symptoms we had with one of the kittens before she had to be put down (she was only about 5 weeks and the blockage was severe and there was a possible problem with the intestines themselves-didn't form properly).

rainbow
September 21st, 2007, 06:40 PM
How are the kittens? :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Love4himies
September 21st, 2007, 09:46 PM
The kittens are at home again. Vet thinks it is a virus that normally shows itself as a respiritory virus. I can't remember the name of it, but is a virus that we normally vaccinate for. Rarely this virus can become active in the joints and cause arthritic type pain and high fever, which matches their symptoms pefectly.

I am having problems controlling their fever, medince only helps for a short time and vet does not want to overdose them. I am currently feeding them watered down prescription food by syringe to keep them hydrated. They are not vomiting or have diarreha. Poor soles are shivering from their fever.

She also thinks that the biological mother (:rip: momma) of these two kittens passed the virus on to them. They are two orphans that my foster momma took on when they were two days old because their biological momma died.

So far the other 5 haven't got it :fingerscr:pray: that they don't.

Love4himies
September 21st, 2007, 09:48 PM
krdahmer: I thought so too because of the pain, but the vet said they are not vomiting and she couldn't feel any blockage so she didn't think so.

rainbow
September 21st, 2007, 11:40 PM
I hope they pull through. :pray: :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
September 21st, 2007, 11:49 PM
:pray:ing for sweet lil kitties :goodvibes::grouphug:

TeriM
September 22nd, 2007, 01:30 AM
Hoping everyone will be ok :fingerscr:pray:.

chico2
September 22nd, 2007, 07:09 AM
L4H,oh no,you got a bit more than you bargained for in your fosters:sad:it must be heartbreaking watching these little kittens beeing sick..
:pray:they will recover:pray:

rainbow
September 22nd, 2007, 12:34 PM
How are the kittens today? :pray: :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love4himies
September 22nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
Well I have been trained on taking temperatures. The kittens are to have their temperatures taken twice a day. Once in the morning after meds to ensure it has come down and before bed to make sure it has not risen to 41 degree mark (seizure zone). Vet's recorded temperature of Dumbo yesterday was 40.6:eek:.

This morning both still had high temperatures. After giving them their anafen, their pain went away and fever came down. I fed them watered down canned food to ensure they don't get dehydrated. No vomiting which is good news. So far today, they have eaten and walked on thier own, but could be the medicine. We will see tonight if their temperatures stay normal :fingerscr.

No other kittens have shown any signs of this virus so I am keeping my fingers crossed it was passed onto the orphans by their biological mother (which is what the vet thinks) and the other kittens will not get it.

rainbow
September 22nd, 2007, 12:57 PM
You certainly have your hands full. :grouphug: I hope they manage to shake the virus soon. :pray: :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love4himies
September 22nd, 2007, 05:37 PM
It's the calici virus!!! One of the viruses that is normally vaccinated at the 8 week period.

I am quite upset at the vet because she failed to tell me that this can lead to pneumonia and the signs to look for. She also should have told me that this can lead to ulcers in the mouth which explains why one of them seems to be in pain when I feed him. This is a common virus and the first vet should have considered this when she was watching Dumbo walk and the high fever!! Duh what are we paying these vets for?????? I am really mad, this is a contagious virus and now another kitten has a runny eye:yell:. These two sick kittens should have been isolated so they wouldn't pass it on to the other kittens.

And how did I find this out, because I did the research on my own.

Does she think that I don't have anything better to do than run to the vet everyday and force feed all these kittens 5 times a day! I have a full time job!

hazelrunpack
September 22nd, 2007, 10:52 PM
Oh, no, L4H! I'm sorry another of the little ones is getting sick. :grouphug:

:fingerscr :pray: :goodvibes: that they all recover from this!

It never rains but it pours! You sure have been having a time with your fosters! :grouphug: You're doing a great job...they're in great hands!

rainbow
September 22nd, 2007, 11:48 PM
So, why weren't these kittens vaccinated against this in the first place?

Love4himies
September 23rd, 2007, 05:00 AM
For the first time since Thursday, they walked on their own!! Wahoo!, They ate a bit, not too much, but at least something. Did not give them their meds for fever and pain as I want to wait until hubby gets up to take their temp to see if the fever finally broke:highfive:.

Rainbow, they were only one week old when I got them and are currently 8 weeks. The five healthy ones got their first vaccines yesterday and the two ill ones will get theirs next week when they are better.

The SPCA did not have a chance to vaccinate momma because she was ready to have her kittens when she was brought to them She now has her first set of shots. She was a stray.

The two orphans that are currently sick (their momma died when they were 2 days old and Sweet Pea took them on as their own), the Director of the SPCA said their biological mother spent a lot of time outside and was probably not vaccinated :evil:. She was obviously not spay :evil:.

Love4himies
September 23rd, 2007, 05:02 AM
Thank you everybody for your well wishes, it means so much that I have such a caring crowd to vent to.

Love4himies
September 23rd, 2007, 08:37 AM
Their temps are normal this morning with no meds. yahoo another sick battle won! :thumbs up.

I gave them some tuna mixed with their kitten food and they gobbled it up. Not yet quite as active, but they are walking on their own!

Shaykeija
September 23rd, 2007, 10:02 AM
I am so happy....glad to hear they are feeling a bit better....:cloud9: kittens love in a small bundle

rainbow
September 23rd, 2007, 01:05 PM
WOO HOO for the kittens......I love good news updates. :highfive: And, thanks to you for taking such good care of them. :angel: :grouphug:

And, don't forget.....when things settle down, we want pics. :D

chico2
September 23rd, 2007, 03:29 PM
L4H,you must be so relieved.that's great news,hopefully they'll continue to improve:pray:
These little guys are sooo fragile..

Love4himies
September 23rd, 2007, 06:06 PM
They are still not playing, sleeping a lot, but no temp. and will eat. Hopefully by tomorrow they will start playing.

Chico, you are right they are so fragile, in 12 hours they become very dehydrated and must be given liquids. They were so sore from the virus in their joints they wimpered when I picked them up, it was so sad. To know if their momma was vaccinated properly they wouldn't have had to go through this :sad:.

If only people got their pets vaccinated so many kittens wouldn't suffer. Poor babies in kitten/puppy mills they must suffer terribly. I just want to cry for them.

Love4himies
September 23rd, 2007, 06:09 PM
The Gananoque Humane Society now has their pics up on Petfinder so they can get adopted. Their names are the character from "Friends" show, but I named them differently. The momma, Sweet Pea is not up there (hopefully) because she has been put on hold for me:D:D:lovestruck::cloud9:.

Love4himies
September 23rd, 2007, 06:13 PM
Oh if anybody is looking for a kitten in the kingston area, I do have to say these kittens will make excellent pets. They have been trained to use a cat stand to stretch and claw, they have not been permitted to play with hands, so they don't even try anymore, they know hands are for patting. And are extremely well adjusted because their momma is such a sweet, calm kitty.

hazelrunpack
September 23rd, 2007, 10:15 PM
L4H, you have done such a miraculous job with all these kitties! :highfive: What a great update! :thumbs up :D

Love4himies
September 24th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Darn another is sick!!!:yell: Woke up this morning and Misty wouldn't walk. Got her up on her feet and sure enough, limping, pain in her front legs just like Runt. Took her temperature and yes she has one, 40.2. Ran around mixing up diluted food to feed her through a syringe so she wouldn't dehydrate, gave her a pill for inflammation.

Not expecting this little extra work this morning, had to catch the bus, and I forgot my coffee!!!

:pray::fingerscr that this is not going to go through all seven of them:frustrated:.

chico2
September 24th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Oh no,not again:sad:I've never heartd of anything like this before,but then again,I've never had really young kittens.:pray:for the babies
They are lucky to be with you,in a shelter,they might not have been able to be that dilligent with the kittens..

Just a nosy question,I hope you don't have to pay for all these vet-visits yourself?

Love4himies
September 24th, 2007, 07:09 AM
No I don't pay for the vet visits, the Humane Society does. Thank goodness I think they are well over 1000 dollars for this litter so far.

I don't understand why they are getting so sick. Momma has been fed a good quality food and has put on weight and her fur has turned so much softer since getting her. She is being fed Felidae Cat and Kitten mixed with a little Wellness Kitten kibble. There is a bowl of Wellness Kitten kibble left in their room for munchies. Water is changed twice a day.

They are not stressed and are very well adjusted kittens, who love to play while I sit in their room on the floor. Momma stays in the room with them so they are not stressed about her not being there.

Their litter boxes are cleaned three times a day. They are kept in a bedroom with a seperate ensuite that houses their litter boxes. Their bedroom is vacuumed every second day and all floors are washed twice a week. So they are not living in unsanitary conditions.

They are not allowed the run of the house because we have a huge house (5000 sq ft of running room) and can't possible kitten proof the whole house. I have two cats myself who are healthy and have had all their vaccines.

I am at a loss of why they are so sick. They have been in my care for 8 weeks so it is not like they came to me sick. They have been gaining weight and all except Bear (he never really recovered his appetite since being sick a while back) have a great layer of fat over them.

rainbow
September 24th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Oh no.....I'm so sorry to hear that another one no has the virus. :sad: It's certainly not because of their living conditions. I think it's karma that brings animals that need extra care to people like you. :angel:

I don't know anything much about the virus but I wonder if they were born with it, if it can remain dormant for awhile before symptoms appear? :confused:

growler~GateKeeper
September 24th, 2007, 11:33 PM
How long ago was it that Bear was in the hospital? He might have picked it up there especially if the clinic is in the HS building or if the clinic had another patient with Calici at the time - it could have been transported back to the others via the carrier :rolleyes:

The Calicivirus is an upper respiratory virus with an incubation period of 1-9 days - time from first exposure to first symptoms, it will usually run its course in 7-10 days.

The usual ways they are infected are inhaling or swallowing it becasue it is an airborne virus - ie if kitten #1 has it & sneezes on kitten #2s' foot, then kitten #2 washes that foot - kitten #2 now will likely get the virus.

It can also stay on inanimate objects - carpeting/clothing/beds/toys etc through washing where at all possible.

Best at home treatment includes:
keeping eyes/nose clean & clear
keeping them warm
lots of fluids
antibiotics from vet
smelly/fishy food so will still eat
a bit of humidity in the room to clear air passages
isolation if at all possible because it is so easily passed from one to another
force feeding w/syringe

:goodvibes::fingerscr no other babies catch it & they all recover quickly :grouphug::grouphug:

Love4himies
September 25th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Yes it is normally an URI, however in more severe cases it can attack the joints and cause arthritic pain, which is what this virus is doing. I think it may be better in the joints because in the URI version it can cause viral Pneumonia (sp?) which may be fatal in kittens.

I now have two sick, Speedy and Misty. Speedy is not too bad though, she has attempted to run on three legs because his front right one is so sore she won't put it down. Speedy lives up to her name. Misty won't stand at all and her temp is higher

Bear and Speedy were at a vet clinic for two days a few weeks ago for a gastro infection (vomiting, lethargy, diarreha, no appetite). Bear, Brownie and Twin are the ones who have not gotten it yet. Brownie and Twin are the only two that have not been sick at all.

Talked to the vet last night and she thinks it will go through the whole gang.

I remember when I first brought the gang back to my house, I noticed momma had a cough, but didn't think anything of it because she was eating well, and no sinus discharge. The Calicivirus is not as severe in healthy adults cats as in kittens and the elderly, I wonder if she had it? Could have caught it while she was at the Humane society before I brought her home.

Love4himies
September 26th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Wahoo, I had 28 little paws running around the room this morning! Speedy and Misty have recovered!

Hopefully this is the end to this virus!:pray:

rainbow
September 26th, 2007, 12:54 PM
WOO HOO !!!

http://bestsmileys.com/dancing/14.gif http://bestsmileys.com/dancing/14.gif

rainbow
September 26th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Fingers crossed for Bear, Brownie and Twin. :pray: :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
September 26th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Four hands of :fingerscr and 32 crossed :pawprint:s that your outbreak is over and everyone stays healthy from here on out! :thumbs up

Love4himies
September 27th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Thanks guys, no more new sickies this morning :thumbs up.

rainbow
September 27th, 2007, 12:21 PM
:highfive:

:pray: :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
September 28th, 2007, 02:15 AM
YAY!!!! for all the :cat: babies!!! :highfive: