Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pancreatitits Information Please!

meadowcatt
September 20th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Hi! My dog was diagnosed with pancreatitis last week and is slowly recovering at home now after being at the vet's for 4 days. Does anyone have suggestions on low fat food to feed him. The vet's want him to be on a perscription low fat diet but I am hoping to find something with better quality ingredients. Thanks!

gypsy_girl
September 20th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog! Can you see how many grams of fat there are per 100 kcals? Then you can find something similar. A word of caution, do not use the % of fat as an indicator, as you need to know how much there is per cup or 100 calories.

randylicious
October 16th, 2007, 01:23 PM
My dog was also diagnosed with Pancreatitis last month and he's been on a gastro formula dry food but I would like to find something else to feed him that is healthy for him....Any suggestions???

satchelp
October 16th, 2007, 06:44 PM
You could try Canidae Platinum (it is low fat).

mummummum
October 16th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Most dogs with no other health complications recover completely from a single bout of pancreatitis.

But a diet for dogs who may be prone to acute pancreatic attacks should be fed a diet low in protein and low in fat. You may need to contact manufacturer's directly to ask about the grams/kcal or cup ratios to get an accurate idea as to a suitable food. You might also want to consider a homecooked or raw diet.