Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppy talking back

allymack
September 20th, 2007, 02:37 PM
sometimes when i give my dog a command like sit or down he will bark and me and then start jumping and running around. he knows what sit means any ideas on what this means, and how to sotp it?

Winston
September 20th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I would make a noise like ah! ah! and calmly place him back in a sit..The ah! ah! in a firm voice usually gets their attention back on track.

Cindy
:thumbs up

allymack
September 22nd, 2007, 08:59 PM
but the problem is he only does it when he isnt on leash, so it is hard to stop him from running from me. so he wont even be in a sit. i would 'sit' and make a fist ( my hand signal for sit) and he barks at me and runs... and i want him to be able to all the commands off leash as well as on leash.

Winston
September 22nd, 2007, 09:32 PM
You need a lead attached to him..it can be small but that is your safety net until he can do it without the leash? This was if he runs you can stop him and correct him...then gradually take the lead off.

Cindy

breeze
September 22nd, 2007, 09:33 PM
how old is your pup?? when Bree was small I would train her on leash even in the house until she would sit or lie down off leash. it took a while but it does work

want4rain
September 22nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
also, training a dog should be like a game. if your pooch is doing what you want, you reward with a treat or praise. if not, just walk away. its no fun if you ignore them. :)

-ashley

TeriM
September 23rd, 2007, 12:15 AM
If at all possible you should only give your pup a command when you can follow through with a correction. If you don't think your command is going to be obeyed then don't give it (in a training type situation) or you are setting the pup up for failure which then becomes a habit of ignoring your commands.
Having the puppy drag a leash is a great way to ease into proper off leash behaviour.

allymack
September 23rd, 2007, 09:33 AM
hey, thanks for the suggestions guys, i guess he will have to start dragging his leash around with him untill he is reliable, thanks :)