Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Whats wrong with my dog? depressed??

bleedoilerblue
September 20th, 2007, 02:34 PM
We have had a big family gathering for my sister's wedding over the past week. Had tons of people over and there remains a few more that leave on Saturday.

Also, My sister has now left the home to start her new life. Pancho has lost his running mate in the mornings.

We have concluded he is depressed, he will eat but request to go outside all the time and he will just stay outside by himself beside the tree. Doesn't want to go for walks, ignores the frisbee. very odd.

When I come over he usually is ecstatic to see me, the last two times he has just stayed by the tree.

My mom want me to take him to the Vet, should I?

shredy
September 20th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Speaking from experience I say take him to the vet. I thought my dog was depressed with very similar symptoms and it turned out to be very serious. They are so stoic, sometimes the signs of illness are subtle.

hazelrunpack
September 20th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I think a vet check would be a good idea, too. Pancho might be depressed, but you need to rule out any physical cause for the change in mood. And if it does turn out to be depression, the vet can give you some pointers on how to brighten him up a bit! :thumbs up

Good luck with Pancho :fingerscr Please keep us posted on what the vet says!

And welcome to the board! :D We'd love to see a picture of Pancho if you have any to share.

bleedoilerblue
September 23rd, 2007, 03:31 PM
took Pancho for a walk myself, responded better, he doesn't like crowded areas much so I am guessing there were to many people in the house ... which is why he preferred to stay outside.

over the last 48 hours seems to be more sociable [back to normal somewhat]....

asked my parents to monitor... not ruling out a vet visit this week.

Thanks

rainbow
September 23rd, 2007, 05:39 PM
A 4 yr. old border collie/dalmation cross should have tons of energy. I think you should take Pancho to the vet. :pawprint: