Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

porcupine needle things in a dogs mouth

kigndano
September 20th, 2007, 10:44 AM
hey
so me and my friends were out hiking by some bear dens yesterday (no bears there until winter of course) with my dog and my friends little beagle/rott mix.

the dogs were both off leash (against my better judgement of my malamute being off leash and taking off for northern canada from new hampshire) and the beagle came back to us with a mouthful of porcupine needles in her mouth and snout.

so being the wannabe good dog owner i am, i told everyone i was leaving with the dog (i drove) and they could come or walk home.

we took the dog to the vet and they took them out., but i was going to ask for my friends sake if there is anything we should do for the next few days to help her get over the injuries or just kinda play it by ear?

and thats the LAST time my dog will go off leash in the woods

Lukka'sma
September 20th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Never, never would I consider for even one second letting my dog run off leash......anywhere. She just isn't the type of breed that you would safely do that with. You are right in my opinion to have come to this realization so quickly.
I know Rick's dog just had the same experience with the quills and he might have an idea for you to pass along to your friends. I'm sure several others on this board will have good advice as well. Hope the dog recovers quickly.

clm
September 20th, 2007, 11:41 PM
I would never let my dogs off leash anywhere either. Even when my parents had the cottage, my dogs were always leashed or on a line. Saw too many cottagers who lost their dogs, or whose dogs were hit on the road, or met up with bears or porkies.....they never seem to learn about the quills either. My uncles dog used to get quilled at least two times a year. If a dog has a high prey drive like a mal, it could go running off after a deer or a rabbit and you'll get lost yourself looking for him in the woods. It's so not worth the risk to you or your dog.

Cindy

mummummum
September 20th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Did the vet not give your friend and pain meds for the dog ? If not and the dog seems to be suffering, s/he may want to speak to vet about getting some or at least using children's aspirin. I would have thought antibiotics would have been prescribed as a precaution myself.

kigndano
September 21st, 2007, 09:39 AM
no pain meds as far as i know

but the dog seems okay so i suppose shes over it

Jim Hall
September 21st, 2007, 10:00 AM
well at least you'll find out smart your dogs are next time they meet a p'pine

I had a shepard that had a thing for skunks at least once a year

I used to et my dogw off for a romp in the woods, but tried to keep them engaged with me

I was lucky i guess both my dogs were fetch dogs and would drop everthing else for a stick

I also noticed that if we were relly movig out on the trail they would stick with us ahead sort of like scouts but if we were meandering or taking a rest
we would leash them so they wuoldnt wander off

kigndano
September 21st, 2007, 10:19 AM
thats what these two did, they ran ahead like scouts and then as soon as we were in sight they took off again

Jim Hall
September 21st, 2007, 10:54 AM
ahhh now get them to stay in sight or to stay were they are on command i used to say stick!! stick!!! and they would sit down and wait for us then theyd get a treat or a stick to fetch

MBRA518
September 21st, 2007, 03:31 PM
Nothing wrong with dogs off leach IF they are breeds you can safely do that with (hounds for instance you usually can not) and they are well trained to call back and you are not near a road or other hazardous location.

My Rotti will not leave my sight… though when she was younger I wasn't paying enough attention I suppose and I didn't notice what she was sniffing until it was too late…. It was a porcupine….

Make sure you keep and eye for quills over the next week or so… sometimes the vet doesn't get them all and they will pop out - keep some pliers around to pull them out if you see some. I think I got about 5-6 pop out after the vet pulled them 'all' out… generally they come out spiney end (as they have worked their way out) so they generally come out rather easily, but you will need pliers or something like that to get a hold of them.

Longblades
September 21st, 2007, 08:26 PM
Perhaps the pooch had only a few quills in her mouth? Quills are dirty greasy things and antibiotics are often used as a matter of course in anticipation of infection. I carry needle nose pliers when out in the evening and on canoe trips and have yanked out a few without complication. I try to NOT be out in the dusk when I am more apt to meet a porky though you can certainly encounter them in the daytime too.

kigndano
September 22nd, 2007, 04:34 PM
she had at least 15-20 in there, but shes ok now

well...at least as far as the quills go

shes a fear-biter, quite the scary little dog if you catch her the wrong way