Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello from Oakville, ON!

Jersey2007
September 20th, 2007, 09:11 AM
What a fun board! :)

I'm from Oakville, Ontario and have a 9 month old (55 lbs, yeesh!) puppy named Jersey. We bought her from a breeder in Michigan (there was a 1 year waiting list if you can believe it) and she is a Native American Indian Dog.

We chose her because of our allergies! My stepson and I are both mildly allergic to dogs (he would get hives if a dog licked him, and I get sneezy and red-eyed) although I had dogs my entire life, three Border Collies to be exact. Anyways, after a lot of research and checking out the "hypo-allergenic" breeds (yes, we know there is no such thing as a true hypo dog) we decided on the NAID.

In my research, I definitely found a lot of speculation and heresay (ranging from "stories" about wolf-breeders relabelling themselves as NAID breeders, the dogs as mutts, some even went as far as calling them spirit dogs!) and that was off-putting. Not to mention there are only 7-8 NAID breeders in North America so that made it all that much harder to go meet the dogs before buying one. All of the breeders were very up front, it is a new breed, NO they are not decendants of "wild" Native American Indians' dogs, yes they were originally husky-crosses and all kinds of breeds mixed in when they were first bred about 7-8 years ago....but now there is a registry and they are registered with the National Kennel Club, so I guess everyone has to start somewhere! We weren't interested in having a show dog, just something that was allergen-friend, child-friendly and on the larger size (so I could bring them around my horse and not worry!).

In the end, we settled on having a hair sample sent up from the States and amazingly, we could rub it all over over "sensitive areas" (ie, neck and face) and no reaction. So we took a chance, put down our deposit and waited.

I was over a year when finally it was "our turn" to select our puppy from photos and stories from the breeder. Finally we chose our puppy and started debating over names. I remember being SO ANXIOUS and looking forward so much to having a new puppy in the family, as my partner and I had each been "dogless" for 3-4 years.

Finally we picked her up, and WHOA was Mom a big girl!! I know they said she was a large breed, but I guess it didn't click in until we met them in person. Nevertheless, she was gorgeous and very friendly (a little anxious as she "knew" what we were there for!) and our little puppy was to die for. At 10 weeks old, she was round and fluffy and smelled like "puppy".

Anyways, our little 12 lb furball is now 55 lbs and still growing. She has been such an amazing puppy, so smart and full of energy! My stepson (now 5) was weary of her at first (sharp little teeth, running really fast and full of "pee and poop") but now he's pretty comfortable with her, letting her out in the morning and playing with the toys with her, calling her "our Jersey". So cute!

That's my story! Glad to join the board and learning about other members and their furry families. :)

chico2
September 20th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Welcome fellow Oakvillonian:laughing:
Interesting story about how you got your pup,she was certainly chosen.
You might know,from checking out this Forum how we love pics,if you have not done so already,please,we love to see your NAID in a bigger pic than your Avatar.

mummummum
September 20th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Welcome to pets'ca ! Great puppy-dog story but I second Chico's request for MORE PIX PLEASE ( we can be a very demanding sort around here) :D

Monari
September 26th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Hi Jersey, could you provide me with the contact information for that Michigan dealer? I'm looking for a hypoallergenic dog, and Native American Dog fits the bill just right! My email address is ************

Thanks!

hazelrunpack
September 26th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Welcome to the board, Jersey! I'm gonna jump on the nagging bandwagon and ask...nay! demand! more pictures of Jersey :D She sounds like a lucky dog. :dog:

caseyandpeanut
October 1st, 2007, 05:12 AM
Hi Jersey,

Greetings to you. Oakville, is a lovely place. I used to stop by Oakville, whenever I catch the train from Brantford to Toronto via Oakville.

Anyways, that all for my post today.

Cheers

Casey and Peanut
www.caseyandpeanut.blogspot.com