Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Just adopted a rescue dog

bluedos82
September 20th, 2007, 09:53 AM
My husband and I just resuced a Chihuahua mix and we are happy about it. We have 2 other dogs.. a Doxie (weiner dog) and a Pit Bull. The other two get along just fine and the chihuahua will play with the doxie. He doesn't mess with the pit, mostly just sniffs her and tries to mount her. It's kinda funny. :laughing:

Anyways...
When me and my husband ge tup in the morning to let the dogs out to go do business, the chihuahua can't seem to make it. I think he gets scared and just pees on the carpet. I know that we shoudl punish him for it, but I'm not so sure as to how go about it. We are not sure about his history so we are not sure what might 'set him off'.

Also, when we try and pick him up, I will try to talk to him in a soothing voice so that I let him know he is not in trouble, he rolls over and pees again. It's more like a squirt. I think it is kind of a defense thing.

Any ideas on what I can do to help him become more into the family and trust us? :shrug:

luckypenny
September 20th, 2007, 10:02 AM
[QUOTE=bluedos82;480108] I know that we shoudl punish him for it, but I'm not so sure as to how go about it./QUOTE]

First of all, congratulations on adopting a Rescue :highfive:.

Second, but more importantly, no, you should not punish your dog for an accident. He certainly will not learn to trust you this way. Try putting a leash on him when it's time to go out and go with him. If he starts to pee indoors, guide him outside. When he goes, praise him. He'll soon learn where to do his business but don't expect him to learn overnight.

His turning over onto his back and peeing is out of submission. This may subside in time when he learns to trust you. Totally ignore him when he does this. It too will stop in time.

Speak to him in soft tones and feed him his meals for the next few days out of your hands. Make sure both you and hubby get to spend some "alone" time with him as well.

SnowDancer
September 20th, 2007, 10:15 AM
luckypenny is right. And remember the Chi is a small dog with a small bladder. If your Dachshund is a mini, you may have experienced same way back when. I am guessing the Dachshunds is the household boss! When I had my main guys they wouldn't back down from anybody - particularly a Rotti who scared the heck out of every other dog - good think I could pick them up and run! I think time will solve the problem - but remember that the Chi may not be able to hold it as long as the Pit.

bluedos82
September 20th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Try putting a leash on him when it's time to go out and go with him. If he starts to pee indoors, guide him outside. When he goes, praise him. He'll soon learn where to do his business but don't expect him to learn overnight.

His turning over onto his back and peeing is out of submission. This may subside in time when he learns to trust you. Totally ignore him when he does this. It too will stop in time.

Speak to him in soft tones and feed him his meals for the next few days out of your hands. Make sure both you and hubby get to spend some "alone" time with him as well.

Will do! I know that with the doxie he took some time because he was a puppy, same thing with the Pit. But I guess off the bat we were expecting too much of him. The chi is roughly a year old and we have to start from square one again.
That's the thing about being a doggie parent: You gotta start somewhere.

And yes, our doxie is the head of the household. He bosses our pit bull around all the time!
I have seen this dog take on Rots, Dobbies, and Pinchers that are 3X his size and win! And by take on, I mean at the playing at the park and he an hold his own.

Also, one more question: How soon should we introduce the chi to the dog park? My other two go almost every weeked (except for this month. Our pit went into heat and is just about to finish). I know that it is a great way for dogs to meet other dogs and play.. plus room to run.

Thanks guys!