Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppy poo in crate

jubers
September 19th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Hello,
we just brought home our first dog, and he's just over 8 weeks old. we set up a toilet area outside for him, but he REFUSES it. in fact, he'll hold his poo and pee for almost 8 hours in the day. i take him out to the area at least every hour, sometimes every half hour. if he ever squeezes out the tiniest drop on the gravel area, I give him big praise and liver treats, but usually he just won't go. the second we step off the gravel, he goes! today, I must have taken him to his toilet area 20 times and he did only one pee. then tonight when I put him in his crate, he pooed in it (and it's a very small crate). I took him out of the crate and he peed all over the floor. I am sick of books that tell me the accidents are my fault. what else can I do?! I know I'm only 4 days into this, but so many people (including the breeder) have said to me that the puppy will be trained in a week. I know that's not realistic, but
HELP!
J.

Frenchy
September 19th, 2007, 10:13 PM
So why don't you just let him go on a spot where there's no gravel ? And give it time, he's only 8 weeks old and been at your place 4 days. This will take longer than a week ! :shrug:

growler~GateKeeper
September 20th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Alot of puppies, even adult dogs don't like walking on gravel - it's hard on their paws, alot an area of grass for him to go & give him some time - not every dog will be as quick as the breeders' others. I think if you allow him to go in the grass the going in the crate will not be his first alternative, but this too needs patience & time.

rainbow
September 20th, 2007, 02:29 AM
I agree. Most dogs do not like to pee/poop on gravel. You need to give him a place on the grass to go.

And, welcome to pets.ca and we'd love to see pics of your new addition. :stork-baby: :dog:

t.pettet
September 20th, 2007, 10:05 PM
To help things along take the poo from the crate and put it in a spot on the grass where you'd like him to go and after every meal and upon waking take him to that designated spot. He's a baby so don't expect him to be completely trained for atleast 2 or more months. Breeders will say anything to make a sale.