Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice and opinions needed on adopting another kitty.

ancientgirl
September 19th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Okay, I've been thinking long and hard about adopting another kitty.

I'm partly torn because I don't know if I should adopt another male or female.

Vlad was the first kitty I got, so he's very dominant. He's a big boy and may get bigger.

Oksana is a little thing, weighing in at a whopping 6 pounds, and I and the vet don't expect her to get much bigger. I'd not want to bring in another cat that may try to be mean to her, because I can't have that!

In your experiences, is bringing in another cat into this two cat household difficult? Do the new comers usually try to take over the house from the other cats or do they know their place?

I'm more fearful for Oksana, since Vlad bosses her around quite a bit. I just would hate to bring in another cat and have that one push her around as well. I know it's never a guarantee how any new animal you bring in will act, but right now that's what's holding me back.

Advice? Comments?

krdahmer
September 19th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Um... well I got it.... you adopt a boy AND a girl....;):laughing::highfive:

Thats what I did and how I ended up with 3 boys and 3 girls!

Seriously though, both Vlad and Oksana are still kittens, so introducing another new cat (or cats:thumbs up) shouldn't be all that hard.... I've found the older they get the harder the introductions are. And like you said there are never any guarantees. Adopting from a rescue where you could talk to the foster family and assess how the new cat(S:thumbs up) get along with other cats would be a good idea. Or as I suggested in another thread adopt another pair as many rescues get cats surrendered together and have to split them up to find homes... you could help keep them together!... and they would naturally stick together and perhaps not be interested in buggin your wee one! ;)

clm
September 19th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Well, I had 2 indoor cats and had no intention of getting another until last winter, little Gabby showed up on my back patio. About 3 months old, cold, wet and hungry with the most pitiful meow. Brought her in to Squeakie, who's a full grown female calico, we call her the princess....she commands all attention and generally does not like other animals, hisses at her sister and the dogs and Mookie, Squeaks sister, who is sweet but very skittish and a tad on the plump side (hubby calls her Mookie the brick).
Mookie wanted nothing to do with Gabby at first, Squeakie just wanted to kill her :laughing:
Kept them seperated when we weren't home but she had run of the house with the girls when we were home. She chases Squeakie everywhere and paid for it a couple of times.....had to rescue her more than once when she got Squeakie more than a little mad. :laughing:
All 3 are now tolerant of each other, but none are what I would call friends and likely never will be. They don't fight though, well sometimes you'll hear the odd growl or hiss, but for the most part they cohabitate fine. Gabby loves all of them and wants to play with everyone, but they don't feel the same way about her. :laughing: She gets more play time with the puppies.
Now the big indoor/outdoor stray, big Max, he hates all of them and never will like them. He's more than capable of killing any of them and I would expect him to try if they bothered him, so I never leave him alone with any of them. He has his own apartment in the basement away from all the other beasties and he loves it down there if it's cold or wet outside.
I had 2 males previously and found them to be no different when introducing the second kitten to the first adult cat. Took a lot of time and patience, but eventually they ended up quite tolerant of each other and even would sleep together. The odd fight once in a blue moon, usually around 2:00 in the morning in the basement and I'd have to run down and break it up, but between males and females, I've really found no difference. Funny, big Max met the one cat little Max a few years back before little Max died. He was 1/4 the size of big Max, and little Max was 17 years old when they were introduced, big Max had a lot of respect for the little old guy. Little Max let him know who was boss right away and big Max always greeting him with his tail up and a nice face wash anytime he came in the house. He's the only cat I've ever seen him nice to.

Cindy

ancientgirl
September 19th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Um... well I got it.... you adopt a boy AND a girl....;):laughing::highfive:

Thats what I did and how I ended up with 3 boys and 3 girls!

Seriously though, both Vlad and Oksana are still kittens, so introducing another new cat (or cats:thumbs up) shouldn't be all that hard.... I've found the older they get the harder the introductions are. And like you said there are never any guarantees. Adopting from a rescue where you could talk to the foster family and assess how the new cat(S:thumbs up) get along with other cats would be a good idea. Or as I suggested in another thread adopt another pair as many rescues get cats surrendered together and have to split them up to find homes... you could help keep them together!... and they would naturally stick together and perhaps not be interested in buggin your wee one! ;)

That's what I figured. I'm thinking if I get just one, then one of my two will be the odd-cat out. If I adopt two that have already known each other then chances are they'll just be on their own anyhow.

krdahmer
September 19th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Oh I love it... you were way too easy to convince on that one!!!! :lovestruck::grouphug::highfive:

With my six I have noticed that they always pair up, for sleeping, playing, fighting.... and no one is left out. When I had just three for a while, poor Buddy was always odd man out, the girls would snuggle and play together and then pick on him. Then I added Fagan and Buddy had a friend, the two boys were together and the two girls. The last two kinda threw the whole house outta whack, and we are still figuring it out and some still don't get along, but they all get special 'me' time and it runs smoothly for the most part. 4, I think for cats is just perfect. Especially if you don't have a huge house. Any more than that in a smaller to medium space and you start to get territorial issues. I am really hoping it will calm down even more when we finally have a house of our own. And I don't know about others, but here, the boys tend to stick with the boys and the girls with the girls. (Except for Fagan who likes to hump his sister:eek::yuck:.):rolleyes:

ancientgirl
September 19th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Everybody keeps telling me if I get any more I'll be the crazy cat lady. Whatever, I can't be bothered with what people think. After all, nobody exactly helps me pay my rent or buy my food so why should I worry.

I do think that once I decided to make the plunge, it makes more sense to get two, and a male and female. It just evens things out and I do think it would be easier.

Plus, while my place is a good size, its not a mansion. I'd like for them to feel like they have plenty of room and if need be be able to get their own alone time somewhere.

CyberKitten
September 19th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Kittens are like potato chips - it is impossible to have just one. :D

Seriously, I see no problem in adopting another. I would make sure the new kitten is segregated and introduced to the current kitties properly - follow all the same stuff you did before and they should all get along. Occasionally, there is one kitty who does not but for the most part, they will. I have 4 and followed a the slow integration process and things ave worked out just fine.

<Make sure the new kitten has been vetted and has her/his vaccinations before allowing him/her to play or in contact with your other two.

Good luck!!

ancientgirl
September 19th, 2007, 03:18 PM
It was hard when I introduced Vlad and Oksana. He did NOT like another kitty around. But now they get along pretty well. They have their moments, but I know they love each other.

I think thought I will consider getting two. That way it will be a more even field. I just don't like the thought of one being left out over another in their dynamic. And I'm finding myself very protective of Oksana, simply because she's just so small. Vlad can take care of himself but I have to make sure I won't have 3 cats ganging up on my Little Miss.

chico2
September 19th, 2007, 04:21 PM
ancientgirl,I have 3 males,as you might remember,my vet always said to have even numbers,so nobody gets left out.
I believe she was right,Rocky and Chico were pals,until the little white Vinnie came along,Rocky took to Vinnie right away,but Chico still does not like him,5yrs later.
However,Chico does not seem too put out,he's the boss,the prince and often growls and hisses to Vinnie,but no fights so far,also Chico is an extreem love-bug with us,I think he gets all the attention and love he needs from us.
Right now,Vinnie and Chico are sleeping side by side,it's ok,as long as Vinnie does not get too close:laughing:
It's always easier introducing a kitten,but since there are so many adult cats needing homes,it's probably the way to go..

ancientgirl
September 19th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I like the even number idea. And I don't think I'd adopt another kitten right now. Mine are still quite young and I think I'd rather give a home to two older kitties.

krdahmer
September 19th, 2007, 10:32 PM
:grouphug::lovestruck: Seriously I love you right now.... and adopting older kitties.... you're so sweet! I hope you find the perfect pair for Vlad and Oksana and you! (I agree though make sure they are all up to date with vac's and speutered too before starting intros!) :D

want4rain
September 20th, 2007, 06:52 AM
i know this sounds terrible.... but we have tried to stagger the pets so that we dont have mass die out all at the same time.... and failed miserably.

our boys (first pets) and the Girlums are all the same age. Frances is much younger (by 2 years) but she is likely to have health problems due to being starved and a hoarder.... Mister is a year this month but his estimated life span is shorter than the cats. *sigh*

my advice.... spread out the heartache.

-ashley

chico2
September 20th, 2007, 07:53 AM
I forgot you were in Florida,I was going to suggest Badgers Goose and another one of hers:laughing:
I am sure there are just as many needy older kittys in Florida as here,unfortunately..

Love4himies
September 20th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Oh you are so brave, ancientgirl!!

I really like the advice want4rain gave you! I like to have about 5 years apart in my pets.

The best advice I can give you if you decide to adopt an adult is ensure it is non aggressive. It will be much easier to introduce him/her to your current brood.

I adopted my Jasper who was 5 years old and had the shelter people put other cats in the room with him to see how he reacted. He was totally non aggressive, even when the other cats hissed at him so I knew he was the one to be a companion with my 11 year old cat. He replaced my 14 year old cat who passed away from cancer a couple of years ago.

ancientgirl
September 20th, 2007, 10:59 AM
i know this sounds terrible.... but we have tried to stagger the pets so that we dont have mass die out all at the same time.... and failed miserably.

our boys (first pets) and the Girlums are all the same age. Frances is much younger (by 2 years) but she is likely to have health problems due to being starved and a hoarder.... Mister is a year this month but his estimated life span is shorter than the cats. *sigh*

my advice.... spread out the heartache.

-ashley

I was thinking about that when I first thought about adopting another one. As it is Vlad and Oksana are only 1 month apart. I don't think I'd be able to handle 4 cats so close in age, not when their times come.

want4rain
September 20th, 2007, 11:13 AM
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

just for thinking of it. every once in a while it will hit me that they dont live forever. makes the midnight meows easier to deal with. :rolleyes:

-ashley

ancientgirl
September 20th, 2007, 11:27 AM
It really does. Last night Vlad and Oksana were running around all over the place at 2:00 am. I couldn't get angry though, I just thought of how quiet it used to be when they weren't around, and how much nicer it is to know they are there.