Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Female cat urinating outside of box

warren_c
September 19th, 2007, 10:40 AM
I have a female spayed cat approx 7 years old. We got her from an elderly couple who we now suspect may have abused her. She has a delicate stomach and an allergy to fish so we feed her a lamb and rice natural food. We moved in Feb of this year and shortly afterwards she began to urinate on the floor outside of her box - previously she had been with us for about a year with no problems. She does this occasionally but recently she has begun to urinate elsewhere in my mom's room (where the cat box is kept). The box is cleaned daily or sometimes more than once a day as she has very soft stool due to her delicate stomach. In all other ways she seems normal and healthy. She does not seem to be in pain any time she uses her box. We are becoming concerned as she is now starting to urinate outside her box almost regularly. We clean the spot well with something that removes odours and she doesn't seem to use the same spot twice. We don't know what to do as taking her to a vet would be quite costly and since both of us are on disability it would be very very difficult for us. If this is the only solution of course we would have to do it after saving up a few months. I have heard of non prescription uti aids, but not knowing if that is the problem we are not sure if we should try them. As I said she does not act sick or in pain so we are not even convinced it is a uti. Help please!

rjesak
September 19th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Female cats don't get UITs nearly as often as male and a UTI usually means that the cat finds they can't make it to the box (as opposed to picking someplace new to go). If she had a painful experience in the litter box, that may have turned her away from it. In some cases, my cats have stopped using the box because they have scrapes on their pads and the litter bothers them.

I would check her pads, belly, and legs to see if she has any abrasions the litter might be irritating. You can also try Cat Attract litter. I haven't tried it but my friend says she's had great luck with it. You can get it at Petco.

Other than those possibilities, the vet is your only other option and since the cat has a delicate stomach, it may be the required one.

Good luck.

Love4himies
September 19th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Cats will rarely tell you they are in pain but do subtle things like stop eating, playing and not using their litter box. When a cat changes any of its normal behaviours or patterns when there hasn't been any physical environmental changes (moving, changing kitty litter, changing food, new pet in house etc.) to the cats life, it is usually an indication of a medical issue. Notice this started right after a move. Was there anything you can think of that changed after this move to cause this?

A sign of a UTI is frequent trips to the kitty litter box with small amounts of urine, blood in the urine and antibiotics is a must to clear it up. Cyrstals or blockages can also show the same signs. Regardless, you will need a vet to help this kitty.

Have you tried moving the kitty litter box to a different area of the house? You didn't say whether there are any other pets in the house.

sugarcatmom
September 19th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Have you changed brands/type of litter at all?

You might want to try adding another litter box, some cats don't like to urinate and defecate in the same box.

Usually when a cat starts urinating inappropriately, there's something not right in their world and it's your job to figure out what that is, starting with a vet visit to rule out possible medical issues. If you can't afford it, look into some of the groups that provide financial aid for vet care, such as http://www.imom.org/

Also, read some of the tips on this website: http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm

badger
September 19th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Please don't give her any non-prescription meds, since it's not clear what the problem is. Make sure she drinks plenty, canned food is best. But if it's a UTI, she needs antibiotics, it won't go away on its own.