Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

13 year old lab not doing so well

ablazevic
September 19th, 2007, 08:39 AM
hello to all,

my name is adrian and its my first time on the site.
The reason i joined was because my 13 and a half year old black lab who is on phenobarbitol to control epilepsy and on tylosin to control diarrhea has, last week, began losing his balance, his head tilts to one side, will eat our food with vigour but doesnt seem interested in his eukenuba for senior dogs, has trouble walking, when we sleep he pants alot, and he has the shakes. We took him to the vet and she removed a cancerous growth above the tail and says he has a similar growth inside the anus but it would be risky removing it at his age. Why does he shake and why, all of a sudden, does he not walk so well and loses his balance.
Sincerely,
Adrian

badger
September 19th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Did the vet make any changes to his medication? If not, maybe it needs to be adjusted, or something else added. Poor fellow. I hope you are in close contact with your vet so he is aware of every new development, so you can maintain the quality of your dog's life for as long as possible.
Please take him back to the vet.

kiwi_girl96
September 27th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Ask your vet about this "geriatric vestibular syndrome".

Our dog is also on phenobarbitol and potassium bromide for her seizures. There is a great web site called canine-epilepsy.com that has some good information. Also canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com. They may be able to give you some ideas as well.

I would definitely ask your vet about the vestibular syndrome. A co-worker had a 14 year old lab who developed this suddenly. Her head was tilting to the side and she was falling over. She was diagnosed with this. Within a few weeks it had cleared up. She still had a little tilt to her head, but she was no longer falling over.

Hope this helps. :goodvibes: to your boy.

diandpat
September 27th, 2007, 08:53 AM
ablazevic, has your dog been nauseated too? Our 13 Ginger woke up with Vestibular Desease last Thursday morning. All the same, head tilt, panting, shaking, wobbling, and nausea. Also, check is the eyes are moving around a lot. The Vet prescribed only Gravol. It is like being severely sea sick.

I don't know about the meds your pooch is on for the epilepsy but you should definitely ask the vet before giving any other drugs.

FYI, it has been a week now and Ginger can walk again, is not shaking and has not vomitted in three days. She can't walk on wood floors and can't do stairs. Her head is still tilted but she is not leaning as much.

Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr