Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Terrible Twos have hit!

JanM
September 18th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Amber is being a total jerk these days and I'm reasonably sure it's an age thing - she just turned two in June.

We went to the Beach as usual today - walking for about 30 minutes, then swimming for about 15 minutes (constant) then over to the off-leash area where she chased her ball for about 10 minutes - she should have been tired right??? Well, I left Amber and Bobby in the yard while I went to do some errands - come home and she has dug HUGE holes in the back yard. She hasn't done that for about a year - we went through a phase when she would dig - I corrected her - she stopped (after a while)... now we're back at it again!

She is so sweet and looks so innocent that it is very hard to correct her with a straight face.

Others, I'm sure have gone through this stage - did you got back to the training basics? Did you do the same corrections as earlier?

I was totally spoiled with Bobby - there were none of these issues with him so I'm starting fresh here and any suggestions are sure welcome!

breeze
September 18th, 2007, 11:09 PM
i'm still going though teenage years, or puppy years, call it what you want .. All I know is that it's 1 step forward and I'm not sure how many steps back lol lol
I keep having to go back to basics with a little change here and there if that helps..

good days, bad day, but right now it is more bad days than good :laughing:

if you find out the secert to this delema please let me know, cause I am pulling my hair out on some things.. :rolleyes:

JanM
September 19th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Hmm, sounds like I've got some interesting times ahead! Yes - if I discover the secret I will pass it on!

Besides the holes in the yard she has recently started jumping and lightly touching me with a paw - a definite no-no and she hasn't done this for at least a year! There are other little things too - it's as if she is trying to see what she can get away with - and she smiles the whole time too :laughing:

crazydays
September 19th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Jan- OMG:shrug:I'm no use to you!!!!!! You mean there is no hope in the near future (i have a 6month pup)??????????? I feel:sick: I have already set up wire fences around all my trees, and blocked off sections of the backyard because mushrooms grow there; I put sod all over gardens, so she wouldn't dig......then I found I had to put up wire fences around the sod--I witnessed :confused:her several times grab a corner of the sod and run!!!!!!!:evil: There goes my sod in chunks all over the lawn:wall:..what ,who needs toys when its time to shake pieces of sod and runnnnnnn with it. This summer I discovered you could hack the branches off a weeping mulberry tree and guess what......it grows back:laughing::laughing:

:pray:Seriously though I too need tips because I am no where near the terrible twos:lightbulb: IDEAS PEOPLE

Ford Girl
September 19th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Can I join this club? I too have a digger, and a part time jumper/lite pawer, with so much attitude!!!! She's only 1 tho!! Jan, I thought you get your life back at 2 years old, no?? LMAO! Someone lied to me!!!! :eek: ha! And, I second the too cute ot correct with a straight face comment!!! That's the golden's secret weapon!!! Those eyes, the wiggle butt...it's all so cute. BUT...they do test you at times don't they? :p

Our experince has been this....train the dog in classes, and at home during the week, she's the star student, she gets it and displays great manners for weeks at a time, we start to slack off on the evening training, classes end, we get busy, go to parks and play dates instead, notice the bad behavior sneaking it's way back, we go back to basic training nightly and enrole in another class...so lessen learned for us, never stop training, even the basics, make the down stays longer, leave the room, and never budge on the basic house rules. They are so smart aren't they?

Yesteday Dazy and I had it out over her being up on the nice white/cream sofa bed in the spare room, I told her OFF, she looked away from me, I told her to look at me - she did, I said off, she growled at me under her breath - no teeth, I gave her a correction, she then leaned all her weight against the couch and I had to drag her off - all 70lbs of dead weight, I told her down as in a lay down, she jumps back on the couch, and tried to make it a game - cute all of a sudden, digging in the coushins and roorooing. I grabbed her collar again, gave her a correction, pulled her off the couch and put her in her kennel. This lasted about 10 minutes and wore me right out, all cuz she wouldnt get off the couch. She usually does what she's told, but when she pushes it, it's very frustrating, and she knows it, sometimes I think she's smiling at us. :evil: or :angel:

As for the digging, I am not sure how to stop that, my issue isn't cuz she's bored, hyper, or doesn't know it's bad, and she will only dig if we are out there with her..seriously, when she's out alone, no digging, it's to get our attention, it means we stop what we are doing to go tell her no digging, she she makes us get us and actually move towards her, it becomes a game. She goes inside if it happens even just once after we tell her no the first time.

Ford Girl
September 19th, 2007, 11:21 AM
There goes my sod in chunks all over the lawn:wall:..what ,who needs toys when its time to shake pieces of sod and runnnnnnn with it. E

I have a personal landscaper too!!!! Bricks - I mean whole bricks from garden edging, rocks, chunks of sod, cedar branches, rubber garden trim, fresh soil...you can always tell when they have something they shouldn't, Dazy throws it around and catches it, roo roo's, prances around like she has a prize...I know right away. It's frustrating. :wall: It's not like she doesn't have a million toys and balls and bones!! Once I saw her leaning on the house chewing the bottom part of the house which is made of cement!!! :frustrated: I am surprised she still has teeth.

She knows the command "no rocks", she has since she was tiny. She spits them out in a hurry only to go get another one.

clm
September 19th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Boy have I got a long way to go just to get to the terrible two's. :laughing:

Baxter and Bentley both try to get away with as much as they can and are forever testing the boundries. I'm expecting that to go on for quite a while. Somedays they are as good as gold. Other days they're possessed. :evil:
They're forever trying to move up in the pecking order in the pack and Baxter in particular, knows how strong he is now and how much effort it takes to control him or get him to move, so he's quite a challenge at times. All part of the fun.

In the house, Bentley has discovered that drywall can be removed from the wall if you can get a spot started, the beautiful wooden pedestal table in the kitchen has the best tasting pedastal in the world according to both pups, the chair legs are good if the gums are really sore. The parquet flooring by the front window is a little old and dry, so it comes up readily and in nice finger shaped chunks, and the backing on the chair in the livingroom makes great noise if you try to tear it off. :laughing:

As for outside,
I have the rock garden and one of the bog filters for the pond fenced off from them at the moment. They've dug numerous holes in the rest of the garden, find the roots from the Russian Olive particularily tasty and one of my tri-coloured willows has been gnawed down to the ground. They've dug up a few roses and destroyed the Joe Pie Weed beside the pond. All in all, not too bad, they could have done much worse. I'll be moving the fencing to block off the pond from them for the winter, so they'll have access to the rock garden again. They're bigger now, so at least they will be easy to find up there, which is why I blocked it off before. The little monsters would disappear in there at night and I'd be up there with a flashlight looking all over for them. :laughing: Worse comes to worse, they'll both come running for cheese, no matter how obstinate or worked up they are, cheese is something they get so rarely and they love it so much, it's really the one thing that'll guarantee recall. :laughing:

All these things were expected and experienced in some greater and lesser degrees with our puppies of the past so we just take each thing one at a time. The puppies mean more to me than all of the things they damage and I don't mind dealing with all their tantrums and quirks. Puppyhood is all about learning and playing. It's fun to watch them do that and fun to teach them too.

Cindy

JanM
September 19th, 2007, 12:45 PM
OMG, I'm laughing out loud at everyone's experiences! What a hoot:laughing::laughing::laughing: These stories make me realize things aren't so bad here after all!

Amber does the same as your dog, FordG - she will push everything to the nth degree then smile sweetly at me. :D

Talking about getting up on the furniture - Bobby used to be allowed on the furniture but that stopped when I got new LazyBoys. Well, he shows no interest in the furniture at all - until I got out. Come home and, yup, there's a very warm spot on one of the chairs!

Amber and I will be very busy in the next while doing basic training again - hopefully this phase will pass. Sure is fun watching her though :laughing::laughing:

Ford Girl
September 19th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Some days I could put her out on the front lawn with a sign that reads:

PUPPY FOR SALE
$4000.00 As is.
Does not retrieve.
No refunds or returns.

Just kiddn people!!! I could never do that but some days I tell ya!!! LOL!

It just goes to show why so many animals end up in shelters tho, it's alot of work - more then first time owners think (guilty of that), takes tones of patience and knowledge, and the willingness to keep working on the issues even when they are older. I find myself facinated by doggie psycology and behavior, but it's trying at times.

JanM
September 19th, 2007, 01:30 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing: - I do know where you're coming from!

TMac
September 19th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Welcome to the terrible twos!!! Stuff to remember to help you through this:
1) you are totally NOT ALONE!!! I think most of us have horror stories! :evil:
2) yes, with training (and re-training!) it WILL get better!!:pray: And,
3) next year will likely be sooo much better!! :grouphug:

Good luck!!! :highfive:

JanM
September 19th, 2007, 09:02 PM
3) next year will likely be sooo much better!!

I can't wait until next year arrives :D (but I will)

want4rain
September 19th, 2007, 09:07 PM
:laughing::laughing:

boy am i lucky!! ive had several offers on my kid but as soon as i tell the dog is part of the package they run for the hills!! HAHA

Mister is a digger but he isnt alowed in my gardens. i have chicken wire all over them. he is free to dig anywhere else out there though. he even has his own sandbox (no kids in it!!!) to dig around in.

first time i ever saw him digging out there... he was so HAPPY to dig and throw dirt around. i gave up landscaping when i had kids!!! LOL hell, the deer and squirrel do more damage then any of my critters/kids combined!!! you havent heard me flip out over the squirrels. now thats a creature i could gleefully take the life of.... gleefully!!!

i hope it gets better!! Mister is only a year!

-ashley

hazelrunpack
September 19th, 2007, 10:27 PM
We used to have a 75 x 50 sq. foot (say 25 x 19 sq.m) backyard. We had Cass, Ember and Cole then. Cass was 11 months when puppy Ember came and 2 months after that, we got puppy Cole. They had a ball destroying the backyard! :D

The boys, Cole and Ember, took up forestry for a while--took down a bunch of bushes and even dismantled 3 arbor vitae. Worked well as a team. :eek:

Then they moved on to excavation... :eek: :eek:

And I can't begin to describe what 12 rough-and-tumbling :pawprint:s can do to grass over that small an area. :rolleyes:

When we moved, we had to relandscape the backyard to sell the house. :o

Then we moved here and acquired the next three. We've discovered that the 'regressions' to forestry and excavation occur every four or five months, through at least age 2, then decrease in frequency after that. Unfortunately, now that we have an age spread from 1 to 6 years, it means that there's nearly always someone in a regression! :laughing: :eek:

:crazy:

Ford Girl
September 20th, 2007, 01:13 PM
3) next year will likely be sooo much better!!

I can't wait until next year arrives :D (but I will)

Oh, so now it's 3 years when you get your life back, not 2? :shrug: What was I thinking? :laughing:

It is fun tho, I have to say that, wouldn't change it for anything. :cloud9:

TMac
September 20th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Oh, so now it's 3 years when you get your life back, not 2? :shrug: What was I thinking? :laughing:

It is fun tho, I have to say that, wouldn't change it for anything. :cloud9:

Heh heh, that's why they call it the terrible twos!! :wall: You're right though....one of these days you will look back and laugh and catch yourself saying "I'm so glad Dazy is not a crazy teenager dog anymore!!!" :crazy:

Toonces
September 20th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Ok this is gross :yuck: but have you guys tried putting dog poo in the holes they are digging? worked for my girl, also we got new furniture and put tinfoil on it and now no one will go near it not even the cats. Just a few suggestions hope they help:D

JanM
September 20th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Ok this is gross :yuck: but have you guys tried putting dog poo in the holes they are digging? worked for my girl, also we got new furniture and put tinfoil on it and now no one will go near it not even the cats. Just a few suggestions hope they help:D

:laughing::laughing: Amber's one up on you - she eats the poo! She would be a very happy girl if I did that... I've been wondering what to do about the furniture and your suggestion of tinfoil sounds great - I'm going to try that!
Thanks

Frenchy
September 20th, 2007, 09:16 PM
come home and she has dug HUGE holes in the back yard.

But it may be the cat's work ! :evil:

Toonces
September 21st, 2007, 08:08 AM
ahhh a poo eater:laughing: there is something you can get called stop eating poo it is made by solid gold that you can try

JanM
September 21st, 2007, 09:42 AM
ahhh a poo eater:laughing: there is something you can get called stop eating poo it is made by solid gold that you can try

Really? I'll start looking for it - never heard of anything like that before....

Riluke
September 21st, 2007, 09:47 AM
I was laughing through this whole thread. I have a five month old puppy and i feel the pain. There is a big brown patch in the middle of the yard where he has ripped up the sods and is apparently excavating a spot for a new swimming pool. The poor Spirea get a regular trimming 'puppy style' and the chairs in my dinning room look like a pack of wild beavers pillaged them.

At least three nights a week (getting less lately though) my husband comes home and growles about how the dog has to go and soon. Mind you not 15 minutes later he has him outside playing and they are best buddies again.

He had gotten so big that he can 'counter surf' and assumes anything you leave in range is his - like my cookbook that met an untimley demise.

And here I was thinking the two's would be relaxing.....note to self...get valium prescription!:crazy:

Ford Girl
September 21st, 2007, 10:20 AM
I saw this stuff called Potty Mouth, it's for poo eaters. :thumbs up not sure if it's a spray or a pill??? Not sure how it works, but there are things out there to help poo eaters. Dazy will eat cat poo if she can get near it. YUK!

Dazy has never wrecked anything in the house, but I think it's cuz I spend $$$$ on bones and toys and kongs....we haven't let her be unsupervised either, it's more prevention then her not doing it...cuz I knwo she would love to snack on the coffee table right after she snacks in the litter box!

want4rain
September 21st, 2007, 11:39 AM
yep, thats us Ford Girl. it helps that he has loads of raw meaty bones to eat, kongs, sticks... balls, the tire and its rope (got some pics of those for ya soon). it blows my mind to hear of dogs that eat cookbooks!! i think Mister just KNOWS if he ate my cook book he would be in the dog house for weeks!! LOL!

we also do a few different things with him through out the week. satudays are dump days, fridays are 'go to grandmas house' either monday or tuesday he goes with me to go get Cailyn from school, we throw his ball or a stick for him, sometimes i throw to fetch, or throw to catch... we also play a STAY game... so he gets several different things to do through out the week so he doesnt get bored. thats on top of his STUFF and cool food.

-ashley

JanM
September 21st, 2007, 11:58 AM
Touch wood - neither Bobby nor Amber have wrecked anything in the house - not shoes, not furniture - nothing - the little :angel:'s

Outside is a different story - I had a beautiful Harry Lauder Walking Stick (it's a tree that grows all gnarly and twisty) - well, what's left of it went to the local Garden Club's plant sale. Amber ate half of it - then got sick! Both dogs just love to take my weeds that I painstakingly pull out of the garden - and toss them all over - they like to spread things around :D

I'm going on an anti-poo-eating product hunt as soon as I can!

Riluke
September 21st, 2007, 01:22 PM
it blows my mind to hear of dogs that eat cookbooks!!

The pictures must have looked yummy.
I have no idea how he reached the cook book - the dog is a master of escapism - he has a ton of toys and bones....but that cook book must have called to him.

Sure I was upset, but what good would it be to be mad after the damage was done...he wouldn't even know what i was mad at at that point any way.

TMac
September 21st, 2007, 05:16 PM
We used a product called "Deter" (in pill format) when Toby went through his poo-eating phase. (He only preferred to do this in winter - eating 'poopsicles' :yuck:). I'm not really sure if it worked or if he just grew out of it! :shrug:

rainbow
September 21st, 2007, 06:12 PM
From what I've read and heard not all dogs respond to the same product so you may end up having to try a few different ones. The vets sell Deter and Forbid, Solid Gold sells S.E.P. and I'm sure there are lots of others on the market. I've also heard that adding crushed pineapple to your dogs food helps due to the enzyme in it. It would also be cheaper to try that first. :D