Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dogs cats and a newborn

bearbear
September 18th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I am new to this site. I ran across it while i was serching online about how to deal with animals when you are going to have a baby. I have 3cats and 2 dogs inside. I love them very much. they have been my children for many years. I am now getting told by family that i will have to get rid of my pets when the baby comes. This fear is taking over what should be a happy time. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know

mummummum
September 18th, 2007, 07:36 PM
There is NO reason why you have to give up members of your family because you are having a baby. There may be things you will need to do differently (to avoid certain cat-to-human diseases: no more cleaning the litterbox WOOHOO!) but there is no reason why you, your fur kids and your skin kids can't all live as one big happy family.

Otter (another member) posted a thread with a link to a site about safety around dogs which is well worth reading www.doggonesafe.com and here is a great article from HSUS which covers soup to nuts for expectant parents and their animals http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/introducing_your_pet_and_new_baby.html

BMDLuver
September 18th, 2007, 07:43 PM
When you say family, who's house is it... there's or yours? Are you meaning whom you live with or your parents, siblings and what they think you should do? I have a big rule in my house where my father is concerned... my house, my choice who lives here.. not happy with the animals, don't visit.. Worked like a charm with him.. he wants to see the grand kids, he lives with the fact we have a menagerie.

want4rain
September 18th, 2007, 07:55 PM
seriously? why would you give up your pets?! coming from a mother (8yo girl and a 18mo old boy... plannng #3) you can so do the mom/baby and mom/pet thing.

there are ways of minimizing jealousy, handier ways of doing things so they take up less time, lots of neat tools to help out too and LOTS of people who are successful parents with pets.

*hugs* bearbear, being a new mommy is such a difficult but joyful time in your life. dont let others negativity ruin this moment for you. keep your head cool, dont make any decisions you dont feel comfortable making. the ONLY reason you should ever rehome pets from having children is if they show aggression. period.

make a list of your concerns with the pets and let us moms/dads/petfanatics help you find solutions... such as keeping the cats out of the crib..... that was my BIG BIG concern.

it ended up being a non-issue BUT what i did was i put the crib up months in advance.... sacrificed a set of sheets, stuck that double sided tape all over it and let them discover for themselves. the day i put it up i found a set of white tufts of fur, brown tufts of fur and a set of gray tufts of fur. they have never gotten into the crib since. :)

it ended up being a non issue because Jeffrey stopped breathing in his sleep once. i kept him in a swing for sleeping for almost 3 months. i lost an aunt, an uncle and 2 great aunts to SIDS. i wasnt loosing my baby when its almost preventable.

im rambling. :) my point is, keep your pets. you guys will be just fine. to suggest otherwise is silly at this point. the baby isnt even here!!

so.... when are you due? are we going to get preggers mommy pics?? kitty pics? pooch pics??? ultrasound pics??? :cool: im not begging... just suggesting!!!!

-ashley

want4rain
September 18th, 2007, 07:56 PM
kick ass, youre also in NC!!

-ashley

bearbear
September 18th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the imput about my situation on my animals and having a baby. The links really helped and gave me some great ideas. I really should not worry about what everyone eles says and just enjoy my animals and enjoy the fact that i am going to have a baby. I am glad i ran across this forum. Thanks for the help.

mummummum
September 18th, 2007, 08:08 PM
We're glad you found us ! But you don't get away quite that easily :laughing: we demand satisfaction!!! We'd love to see pix of your fur kids and hear all about them of course :)

bearbear
September 18th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I have been married for 5 years and during this time we have got a lot of animals. I just have a soft spot when it comes to helping any kind of animal. We both had cats before we got married. We have a cat that is 21 years old my husband got her when he was 12years old,, sometimes i think he may love that cat more then me. We got our dog from the animal shelter and she has been a joy, i have really spoiled her rotton. My husband met a lady who's mom had past away and the daughter was having to give up her mothers cat so he got her for me. She was very scared at first and i had to work very hard for her love but now she is with me every where i go through out my house. We also have a dog that my neighbor left when he moved so we took her in. Like i said i have a soft spot for animals in need. We also have a bird, lizards, and fish. I would try to send pictures but i am not good at the whole computer thing, I usually do not even get on the computer unless i am trying to find info on a certain topic. I am also horrible at spelling so please forgive me for any mispelled words.

My baby is due on feb 16. We are having a little boy we just found out last week. I was so excited because I had been saying it was a boy.
Well thanks for listening to me.... I hope to learn more about you all.

want4rain
September 18th, 2007, 08:32 PM
congrats on the baby boy!! any names yet?

what about your fuzzy/scaly/feathered babies? names! pictures! lots of capable people on here to help you post your pictures if you have a hard time with it! also, if you use firefox instead of internet explorer.... it automatically underlines your misspelled words. my spelling has greatly improved since the upgrade. :)

we are just north of RTP. :)

-ashley

TMac
September 19th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the imput about my situation on my animals and having a baby. The links really helped and gave me some great ideas. I really should not worry about what everyone eles says and just enjoy my animals and enjoy the fact that i am going to have a baby. I am glad i ran across this forum. Thanks for the help.

Welcome! And yes, you need not worry about what everyone else says! With a little preparation your furry friends will do just fine!! Don't let anybody tell you different!

I'm not sure how to prepare the cat, but I've been reading up on preparing my dog since I'm also expecting. Some tips I've learned from our trainer and others:

- expose your dog to lots of little ones if you can, in advance of your baby's arrival. This way you can help him learn what those squeaks and squawks and smells are. You can also watch the dog carefully to see how comfortable he/she is.
- allow the dog to sniff everything - the baby, the crib, and all the baby gear. Every time we get something new for the baby and bring it in the house, we're letting him thoroughly check it out and keeping it positive for him with praise.
- if your dog is allowed on beds or furniture and you don't want him to do that anymore when the baby comes, start training him to get 'off' well before the baby comes, so that he doesn't associate the new rules with the baby.
- while you're still in hospital after delivery, ask a friend or relative to go home ahead of your arrival and bring a receiving blanket the baby has been wrapped in. It will have the baby's smell on it and you can wipe the blanket 'smell' on his dog bed or other favourite place to sleep, let him smell it, and then put it underneath his food dish (like a placemat). This way, the dog will associate the baby smell with good things (his food) and also will recognize the baby's smell when you arrive home.

Another thing to think about is getting some help once the baby arrives to make sure the pets still get the attention and walkies they need. Its best to try (and I think it will be tough!) to keep their routine as close to normal as possible. And remember - a tired dog is a good dog!

Sorry I don't know how to prepare the cat...maybe others can jump in. I think with a little preparation, your pets will be baby's best friends!!! :lovestruck:

Good luck and keep us posted! :thumbs up

sugarcatmom
September 20th, 2007, 07:16 AM
To help prepare your pets (good idea for the humans as well!) for the sounds of the new baby (which can be most disconcerting to cats - babies often sound like cats in distress), I'd recommend getting a CD of baby noises. Here are a couple that I know of:
http://www.soundsofbaby.com/
http://www.preparingfido.com/

chico2
September 20th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Bearbear,a couple of months ago,at my vets office there were 2 mature cats,a beautiful longhaired orange one and a black cat.
They had been DUMPED because the owner was having a baby.
At 6/7 yrs old,they were confused and unhappy in a cage,but still together,until the orange beauty was adopted.
Left behind was the pretty black kitty,week after week,until he finally ended up at Humane Society:sad:
I cried leaving the vet-office,cried because of heartless people and because I could do nothing to help.:sad:
Your babyboy will have a wonderful life surrounded by animals and will grow up to be a compassionate,caring young man,anyone that says different,is to be ignored,don't know the pure love and joy we get from our animals:cat::dog:

Love4himies
September 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM
I had two kitties for a couple of years before having my first child. I did not have any problems what so ever when my daughter was born. I found they pretty much ignored the baby and played with each other. I did ensure that the cats schedule did not change, but could not give them the same amount of attention. I did make an effort to ensure we did have kitty play time when the baby was sleeping.

bendyfoot
September 20th, 2007, 09:24 AM
keeping the cats out of the crib..... that was my BIG BIG concern.

it ended up being a non-issue BUT what i did was i put the crib up months in advance.... sacrificed a set of sheets, stuck that double sided tape all over it and let them discover for themselves. the day i put it up i found a set of white tufts of fur, brown tufts of fur and a set of gray tufts of fur. they have never gotten into the crib since. :)

-ashley

Awesome tip, Ashley! My partner and I are planning to try to have a baby in the new year, and cats in the crib (we have three) was a biggish concern for us. What a great idea!!! Thanks for sharing your experience...:D

want4rain
September 20th, 2007, 10:57 AM
not to sound cruel but to drive the point home we made sure the crib was on its lowest setting so they really had to try to get out and then think again before trying it a second time. also the same thing with the changing table. i wish we had done that. the changing table has never been used to change a diaper!! they took it over and it was just more hassle than it was worth LOL!!

are we going to start a baby related coping with pets-ish thread?? i think that would be pretty helpful. with how mayh people are preggers, planning or already been there/done that....

unless its already been done???

-ashley

TMac
September 20th, 2007, 04:30 PM
To help prepare your pets (good idea for the humans as well!) for the sounds of the new baby (which can be most disconcerting to cats - babies often sound like cats in distress), I'd recommend getting a CD of baby noises. Here are a couple that I know of:
http://www.soundsofbaby.com/
http://www.preparingfido.com/

Good idea! I forgot about mentioning that....we make our dog watch TLC's baby programs with us (A Baby Story and Bringing Home Baby) and crank it up when the baby on tv starts wailing! :p

glasslass
September 20th, 2007, 08:37 PM
What a wonderful opportunity to bring another animal lover into this world! How can baby learn to love animals without pets in his environment. This world could use many, many more compassionate animal lovers!

chico2
September 22nd, 2007, 04:22 PM
It's funny you should mention babies crying,my cats are on full alert any time a baby cries on TV,I always have to lower the sound,it does sound like a cat in distress.