Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Runny Poo

want4rain
September 18th, 2007, 07:02 PM
whats the deal with it?? so many people talk abotu their dogs with runny poo... what causes it? Mister had the exploding butt for a while there but the doc said it was due to having a high residue food so we went raw... but never had soft or runny poo since then. is this more common than i thought???

-ashley

mummummum
September 18th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I think dogs who are raw fed (and home-cooked to some extent) tend to have more efficient digestive and better immune systems. As such they are less prone to picking up "bugs" from other animals and less prone to GI issues related to food & treats. As well, raw food is more quickly digested so it's not hanging about and is therefore less able to cause trouble while it's in there.

And this is may be just my own bias but, I've noticed in talking with other dog people who raw-feed, their dogs are less likely to have pica or indulge in pica-like (sidewalk hoovers :rolleyes:) behaviour. But that also goes for kibble. Up until the kibble mine are eating now I had TERRIBLE trouble with Bridie "sh-nacking".

Then you get into the issue of the myriad of ingredients in kibble and canned foods, food sensitivites and allergies, the slower digestion rate of kibble. Some of us have older dogs with health issues taking medications and that also contributes to the poop problem :laughing:

You've been lucky with Mister in that he's shown no allergies or sensitivities and apparently has an iron gut (Mister who buries his food and digs it up days later :rolleyes:) so count your blessings. :thumbs up

want4rain
September 18th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I think dogs who are raw fed (and home-cooked to some extent) tend to have more efficient digestive and better immune systems. As such they are less prone to picking up "bugs" from other animals and less prone to GI issues related to food & treats. As well, raw food is more quickly digested so it's not hanging about and is therefore less able to cause trouble while it's in there.

Mister had the residue issues which is what started the whole kibble to homemade to raw changes. it was horrible... 3am kennel cleaning!! i freaked out, had him to the vet 2x a week over it... they just kept telling us to spend insane amounts of money on dog food that had stool hardeners in it. i said no way! ive been wondering if i didnt over react with it considering so many people sort of talk abotu loose stools so casually.

And this is may be just my own bias but, I've noticed in talking with other dog people who raw-feed, their dogs are less likely to have pica or indulge in pica-like (sidewalk hoovers :rolleyes:) behaviour. But that also goes for kibble. Up until the kibble mine are eating now I had TERRIBLE trouble with Bridie "sh-nacking".

Mister plays with anything from bugs to little rocks to little sticks (the tiniest things!!) to big giant sticks... ive seen him ralf up bark... but i would never say he was a 'sh-nack'er. :)

Then you get into the issue of the myriad of ingredients in kibble and canned foods, food sensitivites and allergies, the slower digestion rate of kibble. Some of us have older dogs with health issues taking medications and that also contributes to the poop problem :laughing:

thats what made us go with raw. its so simple, its all they need.... no cooking... easier to find allergies... im so glad we made the change. he is so healthy!

You've been lucky with Mister in that he's shown no allergies or sensitivities and apparently has an iron gut (Mister who buries his food and digs it up days later :rolleyes:) so count your blessings. :thumbs up

except the aforementioned explode-a-butt he had. :eek: that was a down right nightmare!!! i would have traded a hundred unscoopable poops to NOT have the dozen kennel paintball episodes we had!!!

or man, we have had a few of the cats do that over wet/kibble..... im so so so happy they are raw fed. NO explode-a-butts anymore!!

-ashley

mummummum
September 18th, 2007, 09:06 PM
There's a fairly new way of thinking amongst immunologists and epidemiologists about "bugs" and immune regulated dieases and syndromes like allergies, MS and IBD that you might enjoy learning more about, being the hygiene hypothesis and the old friends hypothesis.

want4rain
September 18th, 2007, 09:42 PM
hit me with it! got a good article?

-ash

mummummum
September 18th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Hmmm... that might take me awhile. I'll have to look them up to see if the whole pieces are on-line otherwise I'll be routing you to a whole bunch of :sleepy: medical journals which doesn't make for the most exciting reading. I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow 'kay?

mummummum
September 18th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Actually ...here's one for you to digest :laughing:

http://www.jacionline.org/article/PIIS0091674906006452/fulltext

want4rain
September 18th, 2007, 10:15 PM
"wheezing phenotypes" i wonder if crouping cough would fall under that?

they say "wheeze" so many times it almost looses its meaning! lol

its bookmarked! il probably go through it tomorrow. THANKS!!

-ashley

mummummum
September 18th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Here's some more...

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/491758

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12032638&dopt=AbstractPlus

http://eprints.ucl.ac.uk/archive/00000294/01/Crystal_ball_Rook.pdf

Unfortunately most of the "good stuff" is by subscription only (greedy bastides :rolleyes:)