Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

question about dog treats

kigndano
September 18th, 2007, 09:45 AM
hey guys

so after having pretty good results in normal training with treats as the reward im starting to worry im gonna have a little fatty dog from too many treats.

im using milkbone snaps (the 3 flavors that come in a box) so if anyone knows if theyre gonna make him a big fat a** then please let me know

SnowDancer
September 18th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Common problem with treat based training. Perhaps try a combo of non-treat and treat based training, otherwise the day will come when you will tell your officially - by age - not behaviour - little adult - to Sit, Down, etc. and he will not do it without said treat - particularly the command that you are so certain he will obey on command. My Eskie for example.

kigndano
September 18th, 2007, 09:58 AM
well i do that right now, 50/50 at this point

but still

15 minutes of training cut in half...well...its a lot of treats

sugarcatmom
September 18th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Subtract the treat rations from his daily allotment of kibble.

SnowDancer
September 18th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Yep, agree, reduce food rations by treats. Actually we don't feed our Eskie nearly the amount of food recommended by Fromms or he would be really fat. Eskies gain weight easily and we already had to go on a diet and losing 6pounds was a nightmare. I buy him a low fat, wheat and egg free Salmon snap cookie this is very small and somehow manage to break it into 4 pieces -he can count so 4 it is. But at some point he should do things without the treat. I sadly found out the hard way when we had additional training at age 2 that no treat - buzz off! It was hard, but now he will do a few things without the treat - for me - not for Daddy, because Daddy did not follow the rules.

Ford Girl
September 18th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Use very small treats, I use chicken weiners, cut length wise in 4, then diced, they smell strong, so it doesn't matter what size they are. I also use carrots, cooked or raw, low cal and she loves them. Or bake your own, I do, low cal but yummy and you can cut them really small!!! :thumbs up

BusterBoo
September 18th, 2007, 11:01 AM
I use a variety of treats but Buster's favorite is APPLES! I peel them and cut into little pieces and use that. If you can find a veggie or fruit that your dog likes, that should cut down the calories a bit!

sugarcatmom
September 18th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Here's a previous post about treat usage in training that might also help: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=466047#post466047

want4rain
September 18th, 2007, 11:55 AM
you can also use her kibble. as cruel as it may sound, make sure she is hungry and really wants it. we started out that way with Mister back in his kibble days. he got half his meal from my hand in the morning, the other half in the evening in his bowl. he still had to work for the evening meal but he got it all at one time instead of all evening long.

-ashley

Longblades
September 18th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Other training methods might help too, like using a bit of play with a favourite toy as a reward instead of a food treat. And clicker training is fabulous but you will probably need to enroll in a class to learn how to clicker properly.

Other food treats I've used are chick peas, mini marshmallows and gummi bears, just to give a variety. My girl is a Lab but her food training treats were toy dog sized, only about a quarter inch squared or even smaller. At that rate a package of chicken weiners could actually go bad before I used it all up.

want4rain
September 18th, 2007, 12:10 PM
:confused: i hope i dont regret asking this..... chicken weiners?? :confused:

-ashley

Ford Girl
September 18th, 2007, 02:22 PM
:confused: i hope i dont regret asking this..... chicken weiners?? :confused:

-ashley

Yup, chicken weiners, hot dog/weiners made form chicken instead of the regular and/or kind. Still not good for you, but lower fat and calories. CHEAP! The Co-op here sells them for $1 a dozen, I freeze them, cut them frozen, I use them for our clicker training classes and Dazy loves them. To help with recall when off leash I was told to hold them in my hands and show them to her and let her have some on our way to the park, they sure do smell, that way she knew what kind of treats I had on me when I called her, it worked wonders....other dogs at the park knew too. :laughing:

want4rain
September 18th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Yup, chicken weiners, hot dog/weiners made form chicken instead of the regular and/or kind. Still not good for you, but lower fat and calories. CHEAP! The Co-op here sells them for $1 a dozen, I freeze them, cut them frozen, I use them for our clicker training classes and Dazy loves them. To help with recall when off leash I was told to hold them in my hands and show them to her and let her have some on our way to the park, they sure do smell, that way she knew what kind of treats I had on me when I called her, it worked wonders....other dogs at the park knew too. :laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

-ashley

~michelle~
September 18th, 2007, 05:43 PM
there are some lower fat training treats i dont know about milk bones, i dont use their products, but i uses kibble if i am using lots of treats, or kibble for things that they mostly know and higher reward treats for things they are still learning

just adjust your food accordingly

LavenderRott
September 18th, 2007, 07:16 PM
In 30+ years of having dogs - I have never seen one get fat from too many training treats.

I would suggest you look for better quality treats though. Milkbone is like feeding dog chow.

~michelle~
September 18th, 2007, 07:29 PM
to add to laverott, training is excercise too! so if you are trating when activley training i wouldnt worry, its people who feed too much and exercise to little that have chubby puppies.

i like Northern Biscuit dog company. so does my very fussy doggy!