Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I've learned my lesson on expensive pretty beds.

ancientgirl
September 18th, 2007, 10:30 AM
So I wanted to get some nice comfy beds for the Dynamic Duo.

Vlad's present bed is getting a tiny bit small, and Oksana had her really small one commandeered by Vlad and she's never used it.

I went to Petsmart this past weekend and saw two very soft comfy beds. Thinking I'd get one for each, they would then have someplace to sleep during the day that's soft and warm, then at night they can sleep with me.

The day I bought them home, Vlad slept for half an hour in the round one that was supposed to be for Oksana, then got up and slept on the rug.

Neither of them are remotely interested in either bed. I thought they were so soft and comfy, and they'd like that. I can't even return them because I can't find the receipt! I don't even want to look at them knowing what they cost me and that my two don't even want to set foot rather paw on them.

I'm hoping that if I leave them out there on the floor for a couple of weeks they will decide to explore and give it a go.

Next time I'll opt for the cheap $10.00 at Ross stores! At least if they ignore that one it'll hurt less than ignoring a $35 bed times 2!

SnowDancer
September 18th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Could be because of where you live - a warm - lucky you, climate. I would just leave them out and one day you will probably find your pups sleeping on them. They like sometimes just to be aloof - maybe thinking that you are trying to remove them from the "family" bed. Perhaps when you are out they immediately will park themselves on the new beds.

ancientgirl
September 18th, 2007, 11:12 AM
True, for all I know they're lounging on the beds right now. Those little sneaks!

MyBirdIsEvil
September 18th, 2007, 11:21 AM
I think if it looks comfy to you or costs money it's a rule that the animals must ignore it, lol.

My cats favorite things to lay on are boxes and newspapers. I don't buy things for them anymore because they only take a liking to things that weren't specifically meant for them.

Same with toys. If I buy a toy they completely ignore it, but if I accidentally drop a twisty tie or a plastic ring from a milk jug on the floor they go nuts.

My dogs aren't as bad about it because they know not to mess with things that aren't meant for them, but they always like the cheap stuff and ignore anything I spend a lot of money on.

ancientgirl
September 18th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Yep, its true. Mine love those twisty tie things. And give them a cardboard box or a soda box and they're as happy as clams.

krdahmer
September 18th, 2007, 11:28 AM
They are much like children, all the expensive toys you can think of, and they choose the cardboard box. Don't worry they'll use them, I know I have the 10 beds, and some are used all the time, some never (and some I got to match my decor...:o).... the ones they like are the ones I got tired of stepping over and kicked under the dresser... now it is the covetted hidey spot!

And I was laughing this morning, I had got a kittykong for Fagan who loves to bite and chew plastic, but of course he wanted nothing to do with it cause it cost me moola, he'd much rather destroy the flea comb:frustrated:!! Then I was cleaning up toys and stuck a mouse in it.... wala! Instant toy! Now he loves it.... we played with it for like 30 minutes this mornin on the bed, with me doing the fetching when it flew off of course!:rolleyes::laughing:

Jim Hall
September 18th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Miss DU's fav is an empty crumpled up cigarette pack

ancientgirl
September 18th, 2007, 11:45 AM
They are much like children, all the expensive toys you can think of, and they choose the cardboard box. Don't worry they'll use them, I know I have the 10 beds, and some are used all the time, some never (and some I got to match my decor...:o).... the ones they like are the ones I got tired of stepping over and kicked under the dresser... now it is the covetted hidey spot!

And I was laughing this morning, I had got a kittykong for Fagan who loves to bite and chew plastic, but of course he wanted nothing to do with it cause it cost me moola, he'd much rather destroy the flea comb:frustrated:!! Then I was cleaning up toys and stuck a mouse in it.... wala! Instant toy! Now he loves it.... we played with it for like 30 minutes this mornin on the bed, with me doing the fetching when it flew off of course!:rolleyes::laughing:

You are so right. They seem to want to play with the oddest things. Vlad was chewing on my robe tie this morning. I haven't seen him that enthusiastic about anything in a while.

And I didn't know they made kong toys for kitties! I'll have to search them out. I like that you can put kibble in them and they have to work for it.

Kristin7
September 18th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Kitty Kongs, cool! Will have to look for one as well. I have had similar problems w/ my cats... they don't like many (most) of the toys or beds I have brought home. I end up giving them away to my friends w/ cats. Their favorite places to sleep are on chairs, beds and sofas (not cat beds)! Also, favorite toys are rope or string (esp if not attached to or part of a cat toy), boxes, bags or anything w/ something hanging, like a strap. I just got a new backpack and it is in the living room. Annie amused herself for awhile w/ it the other night, running at and batting the straps that were hanging down. She also loves to shred paper, like a hamster. They do like their catnip scratcher things and the cat tree, though, thankfully, as the latter was quite expensive!

Jim Hall
September 18th, 2007, 12:11 PM
:lightbulb:hmmm maybe with a bed you need to get the human's scent on it?

i now recall that i was using the cat bed for a pillow on the floor before DU started to use it

ancientgirl
September 18th, 2007, 12:27 PM
That's a thought. Maybe if I put a t-shirt in the bed.

krdahmer
September 18th, 2007, 07:00 PM
My cats all vie for my clothing as I take it off.... a shirt strewn across the bed is their favorite spot....

I think they prefer the toys that we have to play with with them, and spots to sleep that smell like us. And I've watched them watching me unload groceries from a cardboard box and the look says "is it my turn yet?" "are you done yet... my turn to play box"....:rolleyes:

Although they also have times when they just get teh sillies and bat a mouse all around the hallway all by themselves!

ancientgirl
September 18th, 2007, 08:14 PM
When I do my groceries, I always bring it up from the car in my granny cart. Once in the kitchen, the Dynamic Duo are jumping all over the thing. Then they stick their head in the bags to see what I got. Then of course they jump into the bottom section of the fridge because they love to lay down in the fridge. I can't open my fridge without one or both running in there.

My kitties are crazy.

want4rain
September 18th, 2007, 10:28 PM
oh come on guys, they do too like expensive things... like phone cords, laptop cords... the string i was using to hang a picture.... yeah. ive replaced two perfectly good working fans because they chewed the cord on it.

i MADE Mister a bed... he chewed it up. *sigh*. i ahve a pic somewhere. post it later. hours! and hours! on the danged thing!! to be ripped to pieces.

maybe when he gets older i will put another blanket/pillow/wonderfully hand made quilted pad in his kennel. for now, it has a BONE in it. sleep on THAT!

-ashley

want4rain
September 18th, 2007, 10:30 PM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k98/waqnt4rain/Pets/SillyShadow.jpg

heh

-ashley

otter
September 18th, 2007, 10:39 PM
ancientgirl, glad to hear about your kitty liking to be in the fridge, I thought my cat was mad cause she's insane about getting in the fridge:eek:

Her favourite toy (by a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG shot) is a crumpled up piece of paper, if you scrumple a piece of paper she'll come running from miles:crazy:

My secret to getting my cats to use their beds, hide them away somewhere (like krdahmers under the dresser one), they'll find them and claim them as their own (somehow if I give it to them it has no value, if they hunt it down for them selves it is priceless):shrug:

Want4rain - that is adorable!:lovestruck:

want4rain
September 18th, 2007, 10:43 PM
i noticed him when i went to nudge the box over to the wall... almost tripped over it when it didnt move!! glad i didnt kick it.

ancientgirl, how long have you had the fuzzybutts now?

-ashley

ancientgirl
September 19th, 2007, 09:38 AM
i noticed him when i went to nudge the box over to the wall... almost tripped over it when it didnt move!! glad i didnt kick it.

ancientgirl, how long have you had the fuzzybutts now?

-ashley

LOL, that picture of the "Aqua-kitty" is adorable!

Let's see, I brought Vlad home a few days before my birthday this year, so around April 20 something. The vet I picked him up from couldn't tell me how old he was, but guessed about 6 or 7 weeks. Then I brought Oksana home around the end of May. So I I've had them for a little over 6 months.

I've learned so much about them since then, and I'm STILL learning so much more. They have given me so much more than I could possibly ever give them.:lovestruck:

ancientgirl
September 19th, 2007, 09:40 AM
ancientgirl, glad to hear about your kitty liking to be in the fridge, I thought my cat was mad cause she's insane about getting in the fridge:eek:

Her favourite toy (by a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG shot) is a crumpled up piece of paper, if you scrumple a piece of paper she'll come running from miles:crazy:

My secret to getting my cats to use their beds, hide them away somewhere (like krdahmers under the dresser one), they'll find them and claim them as their own (somehow if I give it to them it has no value, if they hunt it down for them selves it is priceless):shrug:

Want4rain - that is adorable!:lovestruck:

Well I'm glad you hear yours does it too? I really don't keep anything on the bottom of the fridge, but its crazy! I can't open it up without one of them getting in there. Then sometimes both of them are in at the same time! LOL, the other day I had one of the crisping drawers open, just to hold the door open to put away groceries, and when I turned around Vlad was inside the drawer! They love the fridge!

krdahmer
September 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Too cute!! Aqua cat....the fridge... and crumpled up paper....

Try PAD WRAPPERS....:rolleyes: My smoke has them strewn about the house... very fun to explain when company is over and I miss one!!!:laughing:
(actually I recently just gave up as it makes her so happy, so now when I take the paper wrapper off, I make it into a 'wrapper air plane' for her.... she goes nuts!:o)

chico2
September 19th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Every night when I take my housecoat off,I have to leave it on the floor:yell:for Rocky,it beats any expensive catbeds for him.
When I put it on the the morning,it has that warm fuzzy,furry feeling:laughing:
Chico and Vinnie sleep on the bed with us.
Whenever we go away,I leave my housecoat,T-shirts etc..with our scent on it for the cats,they seem to take comfort in that,not great for the decor:laughing:but my son,who stays here,does not mind.

ancientgirl
September 19th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Well right now Vlad is on the smaller bed, so at least its getting some use. LOL. They both sleep on the bed with me too. Vlad starts off on the floor on his other bed, but when I wake up during the night, they're both right next to me.:lovestruck: