Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat won't eat, but she drinks and healthy coat. Advice?

alli-oop
September 17th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Hi. Can I please ask your advice whether it's time to take my cat to a vet to get checked out?

My cat, 15, hasn't eaten in 3 or 4 days. She's getting the skinnies in her back and shoulder blades are sticking out a bit more. She is taking in water. I checked her litter box. She is urinating, it looks like a fair amount but I'm not sure. Of course there's no #2. She's at about 8-9 pounds down from her normal 16. Her coat is healthy looking though as well as her eyes.
I've tried various foods. I did get her to eat 5 or 6 of her favorite Whiskas treat today. She has had 2 "skinny" phases like this in the last year but bounced back. She seems slower moving and less agile jumping, but not totally lethergic.
She was the runt of the litter, and had a UTI about 5 years ago.

I'm scared to take her to the vet in case I get bad news.

cheribob
September 18th, 2007, 12:39 AM
I would definately take her to the vet ASAP. There is a lot that the vet & you can do to help your cat. To ignore health issues is foolish. Probably with just a little intervention you cat will be fine!

growler~GateKeeper
September 18th, 2007, 02:19 AM
I too second the take her in advice, dropping ~8# not so good. Esp on an older cat, she may have an underlying issue that should be dealt with now, considering cats are so good @ hiding what ails them. Full blood work & urine analysis is also recommended yearly if not 2x/year for any animal over 7, it is always best to catch things as early as possible.

Have you tried Innova Evo canned? My 16 yr old cat loves it!! Evo is grain free, meat based real food in a can - the stuff is great & can be found @ your local pet supply store.

Love4himies
September 18th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Not eating for a couple of days is a sign a trip to the vet with full blood work is a must especially for senior cats. With out lab work done, it will be almost impossible to tell what is wrong with your cat and how to properly treat her.

I understand that it is a scary thing to do, but not doing it and allowing your cat to get sicker will cause you even more grief later. For any health issues better caught earlier than later.

Please don't delay taking your cat to the vet and keep us posted. We would love to see pictures of your sweetie girl!

rjesak
September 18th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Sadly you need to take her to the vet. Since she's older she won't be as resilient as a younger cat and needs medical attention sooner rather than later.

Until you can do that, I had a cat that wouldn't eat because he had an upper respiratory infection that dulled his appetite. The vet said that when cats lose their appetite for a period of time, they sometimes go "off" food and forget to eat. She recommended that I get some chicken baby food, and put a little into his mouth with my finger. I gave him two fingerfulls and he wolfed the rest.

Take kitty to the vet ASAP though. Because of her age, it's hard on you, but it's even more important.:cry:

Good luck. Keep us posted.:grouphug:

alli-oop
September 18th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice.
Oh yay she's in her litter box as we speak, i'll go have a look after and see how plentiful it is.
Here she is, i cant find her kitten pic on my computer right now, but a mini her with huge blue eyes.

alli-oop
September 18th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I have an appointment with her vet at 4:30 today.
She just ate 4 of her treats just now. There was a wee bit of poo in her box today, but i also noticed she threw up some of those treats from yesterday.

rjesak
September 18th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Ooh, she is lovely. I love the pink and black toes. I have one like that!

I hope she's doing great!

alli-oop
September 18th, 2007, 12:47 PM
i love them too. and she's an indoor so they've very soft. They feel so cute when I play with her and touch her paws to my nose.

krdahmer
September 18th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Oh I just love those soft indoor pads! She is very cute... how did it go at the vets? Good I hope. :pray:

CyberKitten
September 18th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Without question, take her to a vet asap. Cats do not have the reserve we humans or some other mammals have. They need to ear and if they do not intake certain nutrients, they can become VERY ill! Absolutely, she needs to be assessed by a vet!

alli-oop
September 19th, 2007, 08:13 AM
I had to have her put down.

The vet said she was very sick inside, and very dehydrated. I wanted to bring her home for one morenight but that would be even harder, so i let her go.

I didn't stay with her though as she was injected, i cant tortre myself like that. My mom was holding her., I held her paw and kissed her head and we handed her over.

I can't help feeling guilty too, like i let her down. When we went there i had every iintention of bringing her home and i said that in the car too.

Last night was weird. First night ever with no kitty tucked by my side as i watched tv and on my pillow.

I will be getting another cat soon, rather than later because i cant live here without a cat. I have a question on that too, but i'll ask it in a new thread.

I just got a digital camera last april or so, and im so glad i did because i have so many pictures of her and a couple video.

badger
September 19th, 2007, 08:43 AM
I am so sorry that you lost your cat. It's hard to help our friends to the bridge but watching them suffer for no good reason is even harder. You gave her a long and happy life and that hole in your heart will slowly heal, leaving only good memories.
We'd love to see more pictures :)!
RIP kitty

Love4himies
September 19th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I am so sorry for your loss! Did your vet give you any indication of exactly what was wrong with your kitty?

We would sure love to see more pictures of your kitty. I may have missed it, but what was the name of your cat?

rjesak
September 19th, 2007, 10:12 AM
I am so sorry. I had to have my first kitty that I ever had (I had her since I was in Junior High) put down a few years back. It was very similar - she stopped eating and when she did eat, she would get sick. I know how hard it is and how much you miss them when they're gone.:cry:

A new kitty can't replace the old one, but he or she will make the sadness a little easier.

krdahmer
September 19th, 2007, 11:03 AM
:cry::grouphug:

alli-oop
September 19th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Thank you guys. And Love, her name was Tazz. Yeah she was a very spoiled cat, I know she had a good life.
It's really weird to sit here and not have her beside me, she was a puppy dog. If i got up, she got up, if i went to the living room, she went to the living room...

Can I ask my new cat question in here? Because you're all really nice and I'd like your advice. Is it ok if I'm thinking about getting a ne cat already? We all grieve differently right? I plan to keep her name thats sewn on her bed on there...like a memorial rec center or arena. lol

But i want to get a kitten, i know it'll help me. I go to college and am away from the house for not long chunks of time but a couple days for 5 hours, and a monday for 9 hours.

In your opinion should I get a kitten during the smester so the cat can get used to my not being present all the time and get used to spending short chunks of time alone....thats my opinion. Or like my mom, do you think I should wait until december when i have 3 weeks off so i can spend it bonding with the kitten? (in my opinion that might lead to separation anxiety when i go back in july, for more frequent periods of time thoughout the week).

What do you think?

krdahmer
September 19th, 2007, 12:29 PM
It is totally your decision, like you said we all grieve differently and I too cannot imagine my home being a home without a cat or two. Now I have a suggestion, you mentioned being a student and away for periods of time, so might I suggest adopting a pair? A lot of rescues get pairs of cats surrendered to them and really have a hard time adopting them out together and end up having to split them up:cry:. Plus having two cats you know they won't get lonely when you are away. Adopting from rescues also saves you money in the long run as the adoption fees usually include spay/neuter and shots and sometimes microchipping! Most PetSmarts cages are full of kitties from local rescues in need of homes, as are the HS and SPCAs. I know kittens are a whole lot of fun, but some cats spend months and years in cages just because they have gotten over the kitten stage, its so unfair to see them sit there as kitten after kitten gets adopted.

Again I am so sorry for your loss and best of luck in your decision. :grouphug:

alli-oop
September 19th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Oh I'm definitely an spca goer. She was an sca baby and her brother (who my mom had). I'd love 2, even 3 or 4, but unfortunately my building (co-op) has a one pet limit. They'd find out fast if I snuck a second in, I've already considered it. :)

Love4himies
September 19th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Yes we all grieve differently and I can understand how you want something in your life that will bring a smile to your face. It does not mean you are forgetting Tazz. She would want you to be happy!

I think if you are going to be away that two cats are better than one and not that much more work or cost. Most good pet stores now have SPCA, Humane Society, or Rescue kittens on display up for adoption, these are your best bets (financially and usually health wise) and you won't be supporting kitten mills. Some have manditory spaying/neutering prior to adoption and these shelters have by far the best deals financially.

Personally, I would like to be at home with the kitty to help with the transition and bonding. It is very stressful on them and they would appreciate knowing you are with them.

Good luck with your decision.

growler~GateKeeper
September 19th, 2007, 05:13 PM
:rip: sweet Tazz :cat:

alli-oop
October 28th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Hi there. I'm sorry I didn't return to this site. I've been busy spoiling my new kitty :) Penelope. She had her 2nd check up and booster yesterday. She 3.5 lbs now at 3 months. She's a doll. But i notice a couple hours after we got back she became quite sleepy, snoozed the rest of theday and night. He appetite isnt as big either. I hope that's due to the shot (and the other deworming pill she had). I'll check with my vet tomorrow.

alli-oop
October 29th, 2007, 12:00 AM
And don't comment on her ears, she might read it and cry. She's very sensitive.
:cat:

growler~GateKeeper
October 29th, 2007, 12:03 AM
awww Penelope is adorable :lovestruck: :cloud9:

most cats do get abit sleepy after the vaccines - if she is not up & back to normal bounciness tomorrow talk to the vet

her ears are so cute though :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
October 29th, 2007, 12:05 AM
I think Penelope has lovely ears. :lovestruck: She's a real cutie!

I know nothing about cats, but I do know that our dogs often have similar reactions to their shots. :fingerscr that that's all that's bothering sweet little Penelope!

alli-oop
October 29th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Thanx guys.

It's wonderful how fast a new kitten heals the heart. But i stil haven't been able to look through my files of Tazz pictures or the videos i most recently took, not ready to do that yet.

krdahmer
October 29th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Your new kitty is adorable... and those ears are too cute! (Don't worry sweety if you're reading this you guys all grow into them!;) )

Hope she's back to her perky kitten self tomorrow.

alli-oop
October 29th, 2007, 12:56 AM
About a week, week and a half after i got her i was sitting her doing computery stuff and she jumped up here. I noticed a little poo on her fur and an envelope she was on and i thought, oops she stepped in it as she just exited her box. Then i looked closer and her foot is covered, as in carried off the entire nugget. I look to my side and there was my $140 text book covered in a trail of poo.

Shaykeija
October 29th, 2007, 01:37 AM
:laughing::laughing::laughing: she did not know how to use the highlighter....:laughing::laughing:Poop tracks

Love4himies
October 29th, 2007, 06:22 AM
:laughing: She wanted to make sure you didn't loose your page so she marked it for you. She looks so sweet:cloud9:.