Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2.5yr old dog has sudden temper towards other dogs...

boogotu
September 17th, 2007, 06:51 PM
My 2.5 (almost 3) year old Pekingnese (possibly with a tiny bit of Pug) is a total teddy bear, and has always been the favorite amongst everyone who knows her.

I have taken her and my other 3 year old Pekingnese to the city dog park for probably 2 years now straight. Kody, the one at hand here, has always loved it. She plays with all the dogs and has never been in a fight.

This past spring when I took the pups to the park as always, Kody got into somewhat serious tiffs with other dogs. It happened the last two times we went. Well, with their lack of snouts, I didnt take them any this summer, and just yesterday returned to the park.

Kody ended up in a fight with a dog, after that dog annoyed her by sniffing and growling, her paw pad was cut and bleeding and it was a horrible mess in front of tons of people. I left the park with my shirt covered in blood, not before the owner of the other dog was just hateful, and another guy said that one of my dogs had previously attacked his dog and that I really had no business bringing my dogs to the park.

They've never attacked! Harley, the older, gets snitty, but has never physically attacked. Kody, tho, had NEVER attacked anyone, and now we were on the verge of a lawsuit and now banned from the dog park.

Any ideas on what could have happened to her all of a sudden?? There have been no known incidences of anything bad happening to her.

satchelp
September 17th, 2007, 08:24 PM
If this truly seems like a complete change in temperament, I would hustle her over to the vet and ask them to test her thyroid function. Pekingese are genetically susceptible to auto-immune thyroiditis, and if a dog becomes hypothyroid because of it, among other things, it can cause a drastic change in temperament.

mummummum
September 18th, 2007, 10:18 AM
This past spring when I took the pups to the park as always, Kody got into somewhat serious tiffs with other dogs. It happened the last two times we went...

... and just yesterday returned to the park.

Kody ended up in a fight with a dog...and another guy said that one of my dogs had previously attacked his dog and that I really had no business bringing my dogs to the park.

They've never attacked! Harley, the older, gets snitty, but has never physically attacked. Kody, tho, had NEVER attacked anyone, and now we were on the verge of a lawsuit and now banned from the dog park.

Any ideas on what could have happened to her all of a sudden?? There have been no known incidences of anything bad happening to her.

I may be misunderstanding your post but if this started in the spring it's not happening "all of a sudden" ~ it's been going on for many months. If Kody has never attacked, how is it she ended up in two fights with dogs in the spring?

Is Kody responding aggressively towards other dogs while on lead and walking or is this limited to off-leash play? Only with larger dogs? You mentioned sniffing and growling as happening before her last fight ~ is this consistent with her other two fights, is there something else in particular which seems to set her off? Does she show aggression towards you as you are trying to separate her and remove her from the fight? Are there any other circumstances where she shows aggression towards other animals or people?

I agree that Vet visit is an absolute must given the significant temperament change in Kody but, suggest you also try to look at and break-down her behaviour into understandable components.

Seiko
September 18th, 2007, 12:54 PM
After the quick vet check to make sure everything is ok physically with the dog...

I would try only taking one dog at a time to the dog park. Until you know who is actually the problem. It could be that one dog is just picking up signals form the other dog. But once they are separated they will get on fine with the other dogs.

So make a few trips with only one dog at a time for several weeks just too see if they can play nice when the other dog is not there.

clm
September 18th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Make sure you've taken her for a good walk before you hit the dog park too. It won't hurt if she's a little tired when you get there.

Cindy