Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new kittens

chefg
September 17th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Well, it's been a few weeks since I posted that my stray beauty was pregnant. She gave birth to 7 kittens last Saturday. Sadly one didn't make it. They are growing like crazy and she has proven to be a very good momma. I have a question though. I have a dog, a puppy and a male cat as well. All but the male cat have visited the kittens and seem to do ok with them as long as I supervise, but I am unsure as to what the male cat may do. Madonna (the stray) is getting antsy being trapped in a kennel and a room, so I have begun letting her out to roam the house once in a while. My fear is that the male (Eakins) may kill the kittens. Is my fear unfounded???

My golden loves to help bathe the babies and the puppy does too, but she gets a little excited around them and I really have to watch her. I am very lucky to have a no-kill shelter who has agreed to take momma and all her kittens if need be. I am unfortunately able to keep any of them due to the fact that she won't let Eakins in the house most of the time and frankly I don't want more kitties. I only took Madonna in because she was extremely thin and frail. Little did I know she was also pregnant. Oh well!!!

krdahmer
September 17th, 2007, 06:31 PM
What a good girl...hopefully the shelter will be able to find them all forever homes. And just to be safe I would keep them segregated. As long as she gets visitors and has food water and litter, she'll be fine in a room.

Love4himies
September 17th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I would definitely keep them segregated as kittens are so delicate and may get hurt by accident. I would not allow momma away from her kittens too long and definitely not outside where she could get injured. I still don't allow my foster momma out of the room from her kittens and the kittens are 8 weeks, the kittens are more secure to know their momma is right there with them.

alli-oop
September 19th, 2007, 02:32 PM
That is so sweet that the dog bathes the kitten somewhat. Do you have a digi cam that can take video? I'd love to see that.
It's like youtube, i can watch cat/dog kitten/puppy videos for hours.

chefg
September 21st, 2007, 06:20 PM
I don't have a computer that I can load pics onto right now, but as soon as I do, I will post some pics..