Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Monsanto vs. Schmeiser (but we all lost)

Luba
May 21st, 2004, 01:47 PM
I don't know if any of you have been following this case. But the Supreme Court of Idiots I mean of Canada has ruled once again in a corporations favour.

What does this mean? It means that all Canola grown in Canada will end up being from Monsanto seeds. All farmers will end up having to buy from this type of corporation and no seed will be unaltered/genetically modified.

Thank you Supreme court for making a decision on behalf of all Canadians that we want and desire to pollute our bodies and the bodies of our children with genetically modified foods.

Thus, setting presidence for all other corporations for any other type of farmed food.

Soon, we will have no choice!!

It's no wonder that most of the organic fruits and vegetables (non gmo) I have to buy, come from California.

At any rate, I'm steamed about this and so should all of us. This affects all Canadians and any country world wide that benefits from our prairies production of canola.

Genetic contamination from genetically engineered canola is rampant,” continued Mr. Venditti. “Monsanto has introduced an uncontrollable crop with no liability to farmers or the public. This ignores the widespread contamination being caused by Monsanto. The decision of the court essentially makes farmers liable to Monsanto for Monsanto’s own genetic pollution. It means that Monsanto can reach into farmers’ fields and steal their profits and livelihoods. This is why Greenpeace demands that Prime Minister Paul Martin announce the immediate implementation of a strict liability regime to protect farmers and the environment from genetic contamination caused by companies like Monsanto.”

Here is the full story:

http://action.web.ca/home/gpc/alerts.shtml?sh_itm=b7e746f64e986f531db5b182b90d38 d1&AA_EX_Session=6a27c4a89afccb663679e64e2ccf1795

or

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/05/21/canada/schmeiser_monsanto040521

cmt489
May 21st, 2004, 02:14 PM
Luba,

I just read the article and feel I can offer some insight into what the decision is actually saying.

The decision does not make it necessary for all farmers to use this product, but rather, states that if farmers want to use the genetically modified plant and seeds that were originally created by Monsanto, they must purchase the seed from Monsanto. It is protecting the intellectual property of Monsanto that is held in the gentically modified plant. Farmers are still free to use non-genetcially modified crops from any source - it is just that many of them do not choose to do so since the genetically modified crops tend to be hardier and easier to produce.

The reason that Monsanto was able to obtain proprietary rights over this plant and seed is that they developed the genetic modification to this particular strain of canola. They do not have control over the natural (non-genetically modified) canola seed product.

I hope this clears it up a bit.

Michelle

Luba
May 21st, 2004, 05:03 PM
Hi Michelle

I know what you're saying but I watched an interview with Monsanto and the man who lost this case, the farmer.

What is happening is that the Monsanto seeds are blowing in the wind, and cross polinating with the farmers seeds. This is not preventable!

The crops grown from that and the seeds harvested cannot be used by the farmers.

There is no way to stop the cross polination, inevitable the farmers will have to buy from corporations to begin seeding. Since the crops contaminated with the cross polination, those seeds are NOT allowed to be used by the farmers.

This is what is happening.

Chany
May 21st, 2004, 06:13 PM
Thanks Michelle for putting that much more eloquently than I could have! :)
There is a bit more to that story, the farmers story of wind blowing the seeds and cross pollinating was a bit fishy for most of the farmers around here, :rolleyes:. Seems more like someone was caught with his hand in the cookie jar.
But I do agree most of us do not want chemical companys tampering with the genetics of plants, they won't know the benefits or harm it could cause for a long time. At least there is organically grown available for people who are really concerned about it,its not that commonly used here at least I don't know about Ontario farmers though. :)

badger
May 22nd, 2004, 08:29 AM
I hadn't realised this before reading about the judgement, but apparently the farmer harvested seed from the 'accidental' Monsanto plants and used it the following year, without paying a fee. I wonder what would have happened if he had not used the seed, but instead countersued Monsanto for polluting his field. You can't have it both ways.

That being said, more worrying is the fact that Europe has now lifted its embargo on GMO grains. As long as there is a market, the big machine will just keep on rolling, by leaning on governments and arguing that short-term economics (and government mandates) trump longer term ecological worries.

chico2
May 22nd, 2004, 08:39 AM
I did not understand everything they were talking about on the news,but I know unfortunately more and more in Canada and the US,the bottom-line $$$$ is what is important,never mind health-problems down the line.
Badger,welcome back :p by the way,still got kitties in the bathrooom?
I don't know about the rest of Europe,but Sweden still bans GMO products or meat from cows treated with growth hormones.

badger
May 22nd, 2004, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I think we can agree that the Scandinavian countries are enlightened on many issues, especially family supports, although apparently they've had to do some belt-tightening lately. Hey, doing the right thing sometimes costs more. And all youse who are planning to vote for Steven Harper's tax cuts (even a bad psychic could have predicted that one), don't complain when federal programs and transfers are slashed (for 'other' reasons, of course).

No kitties in my bathroom, but the white fellow crashes on my couch all day and I feed him and oh, I'm treating him for cooties. Does that make him mine?

chico2
May 22nd, 2004, 09:41 AM
No Badger,Stephen Harper is to me still an Alliance member in PC clothing,either would never get my vote.In Ontario we know what the arrogance of Harris and the PC-party did to us and we'll be paying for it now.
We'll vote for the lesser of two evils,since the Green party does not stand a chance :p

Luba
May 22nd, 2004, 11:05 AM
It's shameful that corporation's win, even though they contaminated this poor farmers non gmo product!!

I believe and I may be wrong but India has also opted OUT of the use of GMO products. Companies that set up in their country had their fields burned to the ground (Yippie)!

In the UK they do the same, torch the fields or go in masses and cut them down before they turn to seed (giggles)

It's not going to stop with canola here, next it will be wheat, barley, corn, oats......shall I continue?

Truly disgusts me!!

Anita...voting and politics...sheesh another topic of upheaval!!
PC's screw us the Liberals promises are flushed...we're left with NDP...and they're starting to look good compaired to the other idiots but who knows?
Green party? Hmmm...Can we have a non political political party?
The non political politician!! HAHAH lmao

chico2
May 22nd, 2004, 03:27 PM
Luba,we cannot afford NDP and the PC-party will turn Canada into a 52 state of the US,so we're left with the Liberals,broken promises or not,but like you say maybe we'll go Green,at least my consciense will be clear :D
Some parts of Europe,including France do now accept GMO grains,but it has to be clearly marked on any packaging,to give people a choice....it's all about $$$$$$.

Luba
May 22nd, 2004, 03:32 PM
Anita, you gonna run? I'll vote for you :D :p

chico2
May 22nd, 2004, 03:44 PM
No Luba,I looove my life of leisure,had enough stress in my life...now I just watch my flowers grow,the paint dry and spoil my cats and hubbie sometimes :D
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW !!!

Luba
May 22nd, 2004, 05:55 PM
Thank u and have a great time at that party

*you gonna be the entertainment?* hubba bubba

chico2
May 23rd, 2004, 07:31 AM
well yeah,it looks like it :D Miserable weather :mad:
They have 23 acres of woods and I was going to take some pics,they also have 2 German Shepards one is a puppy,so it will be fun in the rain,oh well,it's only water :D