Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Training a dog to leave wasps alone!

SuperWanda
September 17th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Is there any way to train a dog to leave wasps, bees and hornets alone? My two are obsessed with it and get stung 100 times during the fall. Don't know why that wouldn't be enough of a deterrent? :frustrated:

They know the leave it command but with wasps they just don't seem to listen - maybe I need to reinforce that command with treats?

Someone suggested squirting them with a water bottle every time they go for a wasp?

Open to suggestions...

dmc123
September 17th, 2007, 02:42 PM
This isn't a suggestion, but I have one dog that loves to chase them and he gets stung....he just shrugs it off. Then I have another dog, Delaney, who is allergic to them, swells up like a balloon - she steers clear but they seem to like her - no training involved there.

Good luck,
Diane

SuperWanda
September 17th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Yes - I worry about a reaction. Mine have never had a serious reaction but I do worry that it could happen sometime.

Yesterday one got stung on the foot and she seemed very sleepy after that. Don't know if it was a reaction to the venom or what? Today she grabbed one out of the air and I'm pretty sure she got stung in the throat. She started to hack and gag and do the reverse sneezing thing so as a precaution I gave her an anti-histamine as my vet suggested for allergic reaction. I probably over-reacted but I didn't want to take a chance that her throat would swell. Again, right after the sting she seemed very lethargic. Had a rest and now seems back to normal.

This is why I want to figure out away to try and stop this behavior. The only time I've ever seen my dogs bare their teeth are at wasps - they must really hate them!

hazelrunpack
September 18th, 2007, 09:51 AM
I caught Cole and Brier (the Sheriff and his Deputy as they're known around here) pointing wasps on the deck yesterday. Sheriff Cole has been stung numerous times--has a moderate reaction...usually his nose swells up if he gets stung on the muzzle--and he finally got it through his head that regardless of what his Law Enforcement Manual might say, it's best not to bite a wasp. :D Deputy Brier is a newcomer but is learning the ropes by watching the Sheriff. As long as Cole was on 'point only' mode, Brier was, too.

Some dogs just never stop trying to kill wasps, though, no matter how many times they're stung. Same with porcupines. Some dogs learn a lesson the first time, others have a personality that demands revenge (:rolleyes:) and they get quilled multiple times.

For our tried and true "gotta try to kill 'em" dogs, we used food reinforcement to the 'leave it' command and had some limited success. They'd still lunge occasionally and get stung, though.

When we rebuilt the deck, we put gates up at either end to keep the dogs off if we need to. This time of year, when the wasps flock to the sunny deck, we try to keep the gates closed to keep the dogs away from the wasps. (Yesterday, hazel was a little slow to close 'em, hence Brier's pointing lesson :o) But keeping them separated from the worst of the wasp areas has helped a lot.

Since most of our dogs are still likely to hunt/snap/swat and generally just get stung by wasps, we keep a ready supply of Benadryl and dose them if they show any swelling or distress after a sting. :shrug:

OC_Spirit
September 18th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Ronan is the same way but now he has gotten stung so many times that he is built an immunity to the sting and no longer gets a reaction. I dont bother deterring him cause hey, he has fun LOL

mummummum
September 18th, 2007, 01:04 PM
No advice here I'm afraid! I was looking for some :laughing: Bridie is forever snapping at the buzzers :eek:

chico2
September 18th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Oh,Oh,my cats are smarter than your dogs:laughing:all 3 have been stung once,now they run for dear life if a bee is nearby:laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
September 18th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Don't have training advice....but supposedly if you take a brown paper bag blow into it to puff it up tied string around the opening & hang it near where the wasps congregate they will stay away because they think it is another hive, so they stay out if its' "territory". You could always try that to discourage the wasps as well as a treat reinforced command for the dogs.

Misery's company
September 19th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Don't have training advice....but supposedly if you take a brown paper bag blow into it to puff it up tied string around the opening & hang it near where the wasps congregate they will stay away because they think it is another hive, so they stay out if its' "territory". You could always try that to discourage the wasps as well as a treat reinforced command for the dogs.

You learn something new every day! This will come in handy for me. We have a few hives in our backyard and Sadie loves catching the little buzzers!
Thanks!

growler~GateKeeper
September 19th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Let me know if it actually works :)

rainbow
September 19th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Let me know if the paper bag works too. :D

I've seen these things for sale. Has anyone tried them?

http://www.waspinator.com/

SuperWanda
September 21st, 2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the tip but I've never actually understood how using a bag would deter wasps. I see them used here - especially on restaurant patios but still see wasps around.

I used to work with honey bees so I can't figure out why wasps, like bees, wouldn't use scent more than sight to determine the presence of a hive. It's those phermones that really drive their behavior.

Never tested it myself though.

chico2
September 22nd, 2007, 06:37 AM
We like to eat lunch outside and bees are a problem,I tried the paper-bag thing last year,it did not work for us.
Guess what:laughing:now we feed them,we left a piece of roast-beef on the table away from us and the bees left us alone,they had their very own lunch:lightbulb:
It was actually fun to watch them get little pieces of meat:laughing:
until Vinnie decided that beef was for him..

want4rain
September 22nd, 2007, 08:06 AM
Oh,Oh,my cats are smarter than your dogs:laughing:all 3 have been stung once,now they run for dear life if a bee is nearby:laughing:

haha i thought that was the great debate between a cat and a dog?? :D

-ash

Dog Dancer
September 24th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Chico2, the little buggers you're feeding dinner to are wasps. Bee's don't look to your table for food, just your garden. (Beekeeper here.) I haven't tried the wasp bag thing ever, but I believe it could be helpful, although it won't eliminate them entirely - nothing will as they are somewhat transient in their searching for food before returning home. I have a huge patio and two beehives in my yard. Never have bee's on the patio, nor do I have flowering plants on my patio. I do have wasps though on the patio. And yes I have one dog who is very allergic and one who is not. They just know leave it.