Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Are whiskers lost and replaced?

ancientgirl
September 17th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Okay, I know this is kind of an odd question, but I'm curious.

Vlad had two white whiskers, now he only has one and it looks like he must have gotten part of it caught on something so its cut off.

Do cats shed whiskers like hair? Are whiskers basically hair with lots more nerve endings?

marko
September 17th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Yes cat whiskers are like hair in that they are shed and then replaced. They are also used to by cats to 'feel' their way around objects and tight spaces.

So no need to worry about the occasional lost whisker. :cat:

want4rain
September 17th, 2007, 12:54 PM
while we are asking whisker questions..... our boys often have whiskers that have screws at the end of them. kind of like a ribbon thats been spiraled??

-ashley

ancientgirl
September 17th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Yes cat whiskers are like hair in that they are shed and then replaced. They are also used to by cats to 'feel' their way around objects and tight spaces.

So no need to worry about the occasional lost whisker. :cat:

Thanks! I was just so curious. Vlad has had these 2 white whiskers since he was a wee little kitty, LOL he looked like Fu Manchu. But I realized this weekend one was gone, then his other one was sort of bent and then finally lost part of it.

I'm glad to know that's normal though, them losing them now and then.

ancientgirl
September 17th, 2007, 01:00 PM
while we are asking whisker questions..... our boys often have whiskers that have screws at the end of them. kind of like a ribbon thats been spiraled??

-ashley

Have they been getting into your curling iron? :laughing:

You know, I saw in one of my Cat Fancy magazines, that some of the Rex breeds have those curly whiskers. Maybe that's why your boys have sort of a curl.

Also, the white whisker Vlad still has was sort of curled and bent before he lost half of it. Maybe they're gong to shed that part.:shrug:

want4rain
September 17th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Also, the white whisker Vlad still has was sort of curled and bent before he lost half of it. Maybe they're gong to shed that part.:shrug:

heh you can thank Oksana for that!!

-ashley

ancientgirl
September 17th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Ack! LOL, I hadn't thought of that! The Little Miss must have really laid in on him. My sweet Vlad has been quite bossy lately.

krdahmer
September 17th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Yep.... and they are a bugger to get out of the carpet once they are weaved in too!!!

At first I was keeping them, thinking they weren't supposed to fall out, but now that I know it's a regular thing I'm not so attached.

Fagan's start to grow out black at the base before falling out (his are white). :shrug:

ancientgirl
September 17th, 2007, 01:58 PM
See I was a bit nervous too, thinking maybe there might be something deficient in their diet. But then I figured, maybe its like regular hair, it falls out then a new one grows back.

I hope they grow back white, because they were awfully cute on the little guy. LOL, when you'd look down at him they almost looked like super long fangs.

Oksana's are all black.

krdahmer
September 17th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Ya I love the white whiskers on my tuxedo boys.... so cute the contrast of black and white.

growler~GateKeeper
September 17th, 2007, 11:07 PM

Duffys' sometimes have a tiny bit of curve to the ends on the side she sleeps on more often. They can also get bent & snapped if they sleep on it the wrong way.

I hope they grow back white, because they were awfully cute on the little guy. LOL, when you'd look down at him they almost looked like super long fangs.

Oksana's are all black.

Most likely they will grow back in white. :cloud9: Duffy (dark tortie) has always had 1 long white whisker on one side & 1 short white one on the opposite side. Everytime they have fallen out they grew back in white. She also has sometimes had one or two small ones that are black at the base (close to her face) & white @ the tips. Now that she is 16 yrs old she has more white ones, two long ones & several small ones have now come in white that were originally black when she was younger. :D

ancientgirl
September 18th, 2007, 08:31 AM
That's cute. I love how unique they all are. Even though Vlad and Oksana are both black, their faces are just so different. Even at night when one of them is crawling up to me in bed I can always tell which one it is by the outline of their face and head.

Longblades
September 18th, 2007, 09:41 AM
My black cat had a white tummy, right where she was spayed, and it didn't show unless she lay on her back. But by age four all her face whiskers had come in white. They were black when I got her. Personnally, I didn't like her whiskers being white but other people seemed to.

ancientgirl
September 18th, 2007, 09:51 AM
I love Vlad's little white whiskers. I'll have to be on the look out for the new ones growing in. Oksana's are all black though.