Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jake needs your help

Tatipsy
September 17th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Hi... I'm the proud mum of 2 beautiful cats, Jake & Emma. They are litter mates. Jake is an orange & white tabby and Emma is a Tortie. Jake is twice as big a Emma and he really looks after his sister. Most of their private time is spent cuddling together. It's really cute I am having troubles with Jake, so if anyone out there has any suggestions, bring 'em on! Jake is peeing / spraying in the house. He is fixed. The spraying issues started a couple years ago, where we use to live there were other cats roaming the area and Jake would spray one tree in our backyard. Just to let them know this was HIS yard and not theirs. We have since moved and while he's not spraying the yard, he's doing it indoors. I have taken him to the vet, initially found out he had a bladder infection. Gave him antibiotics and that seemed to clear things up. Changed his food and encouraged him to drink more (from the tap in the bathroom as he likes to play with water). However, he is spraying in the house still and I don't like my options (anti-depressant or euth). HELP!!!!! I look forward to any advice given. Tatipsy

ancientgirl
September 17th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Who gave you the option of Euthanasia? That's incredibly drastic just because the cat is spraying. Have you tried Feliway? It's a natural product I believe. You can purchase the diffuser and it plugs into your outlet. This is used to calm cats down after stressful situations and is supposed to help with spraying. There are other natural solutions I believe.

clm
September 17th, 2007, 02:04 PM
OMG...I would never euthanize a cat because he sprays :eek: Wouldn't even consider it. A neutered male spraying outside isn't unusual at all, any outdoor neutered males I've had have all sprayed their outdoor territory, inside is different of course. How long has he been spraying inside? What are you using to remove the scent.....if he still smells it, he'll continue to spray. Is he still allowed outside? Have there been any other changes besides the move? You need to look at all the options you have to stop the behaviour or find the source of it.
Why on earth would you even think of euthanize instead of rehome if you're not willing to deal with it.

Cindy

krdahmer
September 17th, 2007, 02:42 PM
EUTH???:eek::sad: No no, not an option, even if you are at your wits end please consider rehoming him before such a drastic measure.... and boo to whomever suggested that to you!:frustrated:

First a trip to the vet, if you haven't already as it could be another infection, or some other health issue.

As for spraying I've also heard good things about feliway. Is it spraying in the same areas, because I know with mine if they ever have accidents or get scared and pee outside the box or anywhere else in the house if it is not hazmat style cleaned they will continue to use that spot. Has anything else changed in your house? New food, furniture, fighting/bickering, depression, bowls, new lamp? Any change can stress out a cat. (just like the other cats in 'his' territory did) You have come to the right place as some here are or have dealt with just that situation, hopefully they will be along shortly to share their experiences.

Welcome!:D:grouphug:

luckypenny
September 17th, 2007, 03:03 PM
We have since moved and while he's not spraying the yard, he's doing it indoors.

I'm wondering if there was another cat living in your home before you moved in and his/her scent may still be there and perhaps he is reacting to it? Does he spray indiscriminately or does he choose a certain spot(s)? Thoroughly washing down all of these areas and finishing up by using an enzyme based formula (eg. Nature's Miracle) to neutralize any remaining odors may help.