Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ongoing peeing throughout house (14m old Bug)

Creamy
September 17th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member and glad to be here. I have a 5yr old Boxer named Sasha who has multiple allergies and irritable bowel. Despite this, she is the best dog and we love her dearly. I just worry that with her health problems, she may not live to a 'ripe old age'. We noticed that she seemed unhappy and withdrawn last year so we got her a puppy friend to mother. (She's very motherly and lacked energy and is overweight) We hoped she would perk up with the puppy and she did. I think she enjoys the company even though there is usually someone home most of the time.
However!! Our 14 month old male Bug (Pug/ boston terrier mix) has been peeing in the house since 5 months old. We got him fixed at that time but the peeing is still occuring on a random basis throughout the house. Frequently in the kids rooms and on their beds!! We have tried scolding him when he pee's in the house and praising him for voiding outside. We naturally have cleaned up all the areas of pee, (well) and washed linens and rugs, as required. He is now blocked off from the upstairs and we have a doggie door he uses but still voids on knapsacks, kitchen chairs, rugs ect.. We are at our witts end, and thinking of finding another pet-free home for him since I believe it is a territorial issue and he wants to be alpha male over Sasha. Unfortunatly, I can't tolerate this behaviour any longer. He is otherwise a wonderful dog but this dirty habit is intolerable any longer. Any suggestions, anyone? I simply can't trust him, day or night, and he knows that he gets in trouble for marking but continues to do so. I think he is threatened by Sasha and think he needs a otherwise pet free home so he won't feel threatened and stop peeing. Thoughts??
Creamy

want4rain
September 17th, 2007, 09:13 AM
welcome to pets.ca! i hope we can find a solution for you!

do you kennel? confine him from rooms in the house?? our dog Mister isnt allowed in any rooms but the kitchen and the living room. he has no business up stairs, in our bedrooms or in the bathrooms.

-ashley

Creamy
September 17th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Hi Want4rain,

We are currently only letting Bugsly roam the main floor since peeing on the childrens beds was the last straw. I have not crated him but have considered this. Since he doesn't tend to soil the house at night, and I didn't want to crate him during the day when I'm home I didn't think that would help. Plus, my husband is a night worker and subsequently sleeps during the day, so I didn't want Bugs to bark and wake him up because he was mad at being crated. I really feel stuck!

Creamy

the gang
September 17th, 2007, 09:21 PM
i have a min pin one of 5 that is still not 100% clean she is sturborne so i use pee pads at the back door she is 1 yr